Apfelwien bottle conditioning temp..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
A conditioning temp question:

I bottled and carbed my Apfelwein two weeks ago.
It sits in the basement, at 56-58 deg. now.

- is this the right temp. range for aging and carbonation?

- should I chill it a couple of days before drinking to fix more CO2 in?

Perfect temp... let it sit for three months and you'll have a FINE brew. Apfelwein DEFINITELY gets better with age.

Are you carbing with CO2 or with priming sugar? I think that's a bit chilly for priming sugar, doesn't it need to be at "room" temp (65-70?) to get decent carbonation from piming sugar?

cd2448 said:
Are you carbing with CO2 or with priming sugar? I think that's a bit chilly for priming sugar, doesn't it need to be at "room" temp (65-70?) to get decent carbonation?

Priming sugar to bottle.

This is my concern, it not being kept warm enough.

I opened one bottle, there is some carbonation, but I was expecting or hoping for more.

sirsloop said:
Perfect temp... let it sit for three months and you'll have a FINE brew. Apfelwein DEFINITELY gets better with age.

Mine still bubbling after 45 days, took gravity reading last week -- .999 Does the length of fermentaion as opposed to an earlier finish ( 4 weeks) have any bearing to how long to age in bottles. Going to prime with sugar.

beergears said:
Priming sugar to bottle.

This is my concern, it not being kept warm enough.

I opened one bottle, there is some carbonation, but I was expecting or hoping for more.

how long have you had it in the bottle? Our first batch was in the bottle for 3 weeks before we tried it. We kept it around the same temp you are and it is extremley carbed. We'll put them in the fridge 24 hours or so before pouring. Almost bubbles over the glass if not poured carefully. It tastes awesome.

I kept mine at room temperature to carbonate. Even at room temperature, two weeks was not enough to finish carbonating and clearing. Give them plenaty of time and warm them up a bit.

Yes, chill the bottle well before serving. You'll be happier, most likely.

TL

joejaz said:
Mine still bubbling after 45 days, took gravity reading last week -- .999 Does the length of fermentaion as opposed to an earlier finish ( 4 weeks) have any bearing to how long to age in bottles. Going to prime with sugar.

0.999 is real close to being done. You may get it down to .997 but thats likely it. Low and slow is the way to do it with this stuff, be patient in primary, bottle/keg it after like a month, dont touch it for AT LEAST a month. If you go into it thinking that way you won't drink half of it by the time its really ready. Kinda like mead... you dont plan on drinking the stuff for 12 months when you are brewing it.

sirsloop said:
0.999 is real close to being done. You may get it down to .997 but thats likely it. Low and slow is the way to do it with this stuff, be patient in primary, bottle/keg it after like a month, dont touch it for AT LEAST a month. If you go into it thinking that way you won't drink half of it by the time its really ready. Kinda like mead... you dont plan on drinking the stuff for 12 months when you are brewing it.

I don't think I could ever do mead, I'm climbing the walls waiting for this to get done. I tried some last week when I took gravity reading and it was warm and without the carbonationand still tasted good. As soon as this is bottled I'm making another batch right away. By the way, I'm having one of the beers we made at Bobby's house. It is great. I'm not giving any of this away, gonna drink it all myself.

Back