Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_Chad

Reaction score
Ingredients:

Lalvin #EC-1118 Champagne Wine Yeast $0.99 per. pack

5 Gallons of target ARCHER FARMS APPLE JUICE $2.25 per. gallon

2 Pounds of dextrose $2.39

3/4 Pounds of Lite Brown Sugar $1.07

Zepherhills Hills Bottled Spring watter $0.30

Equipment:

5 gallon water carboy empty

5 Gallon bucket

Number 10 plug

S-Shaped air lock

Large funnel

Measuring cup

Bleach

Pot

Spoon

Siphoned hose

40 16oz Bottles

40 Bottle Caps

I filled my sink with hot watter and a splash of bleach and put the funnel, Spoon, air lock, measuring cup, pot, and plug. Put a splash of bleach in the carboy and filled with hot watter. I let everything listed above sit for thirty minuets.

I poured about half of a gallon of apple juice into a large pot heated it to a slow boil and added the dextrose and brown sugar while stirring. Poured the other half gallon into the carboy using the funnel. Then added the hot half with the boiled sugar juice. I poured three more gallons of juice into the carboy; saving one.

I then took luke warm bottled water and poured 2oz into the measuring cup added the yeast and let it sit for fifteen minuets. After fifteen minuets I stirred the yeast and poured it into the carboy. Using the last gallon of juice to get all the yeast in the carboy. Note I had just a little juice that would not fit into the carboy; I filled it to the bottom of the pour spout. I filed the airlock with the bottled watter capped with plug and airlock then started the waiting.

All together I spent $16.00.

I was told at my local brew store that this yeast would give it a little more alcohol, and the brown sugar would help smooth it out.

After pitching the yeast I did not see any activity for about 17 hours, then it started bubbling tinny bubbles like crazy.

Specifics:

Hydrometer readings:
1.060 SP.GR Beginning

0.998 SP.GR Final

Alcohol Percent
A.B.V. 8.0%

A.B.W. 6.3%

Used a splash of bleach to soak the hose, bottle filler, five gallon bucket, measuring cup, bottles, and bottle caps for thirty minuets.
Used 1/4 cup of dextrose, and 2 cups of hot water from the faucet mixed it well and placed into five gallon bucket. Then siphoned the Apfelwein into the five gallon bucket while stirring. Used the siphoned hose and a bottle filler to fill forty 16 oz bottles, caped, and stored for seven days.

Bottled on 12/08/2007

Primed till 12/15/2007

I will condition for three more days and start drinking.

I have read that light won't skunk aplfewein like it will a beer because there is no hops. I left my 1 gallon test batches out in the light and they were all great. Now I make 6 gallon batches in a bucket.

light won't hurt it because there are no hops...

Also, a couple points... the brown sugar is not going to smooth it out any, it will actually make for a more tart (not much, at only 3/4 pounds, but...) finished product due to the molasses... also, the champagne yeast isn't going to give you any 'more' alcohol than the montrachet would have at that SG... if it were a higher SG, then the champagne would survive and keep fermenting to a higher ABV, but 11% isn't too high for Montrachet...

I made my first batch exactly to Eds recipe except used EC-1118. It was waaaayyyy to sour. Like chewing on not quite ripe Grannie Smith apple peels. I now use sweet mead/cider yeast. Works for me.....

I guess if it is to sour I can kill the yeast and sweeten? Damn brew store they always have something to say "to help" don't they? I will update this post after I finish and let everyone know how it turns out. Maybe it wont be too bad. Thanks for the information I appreciate it.

Lactose: 1 pound per 5 gallons. If I use this method to sweeten can I steel carbonate?

Brewer_Chad said:
Lactose: 1 pound per 5 gallons. If I use this method to sweeten can I steel carbonate?

yes - i do this with a mikes hard lemonade clone as lactose does not ferment

No need for the lactose it was not to bitter or sour at all. I felt like it had a grate taste just right for me; a little warm going down. It did not have a lot of carbonation after priming. Should I use more dextrose next time?.

Back