Apfelwein racking question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burch

Reaction score
I made my batch in a 6gal. carboy and racked it after 4weeks in another 6gal. since that`s all I have. My question is: I have some space left and was wondering if I should top this off ? I`m guessing it`ll take between 1/2gal to a gal. I was planning on using the same juice I started out with and was also wondering if I do have to top off will it be too much juice. I wanted to back sweeten and have added Potassium Sorbate already. I had to taste test it of course and after that I don`t know how long i`ll be able to wait. The wife wants some white grape so my carboy will be on hold for a while or i`d just go ahead and start another batch. :ban:

Burch

Topping it off is entirely optional. The amount of head space you describe should be ok, especially considering the amount of CO2 that is probably still in solution.

If you have CO2, you could also just give it a quick burst to purge any O2. Mostly, I wouldn't worry too much.

Back