Apfelwein Bottling....is it done????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woollybugger2

Reaction score
Eight long weeks in the primary! over the last three weeks the hydro has been reading 1.001 it's very clear and appears to have a lot of dissolved co2 in it. I get tons of bubbles on the hydro when taking a reading. The airlock has been bubbling away and never stopped although it has slowed way down.

I'm planning on carbing up the 6 gallons with 5 oz of corn sugar.

Any reason to wait any longer????

I want my carboy back for my fat tire clone!!!! :ban:

Depends. What yeast did you use?

With wine yeast, it usually drops a good bit below 1.000, with ale yeasts a final gravity above 1.000 is to be expected. Still, if the gravity has been stable for several weeks, it's a good indication that it is as low as it is going to get. You could try raising the temperature a bit and agitating the carboy for a few minutes (this will cause much of the CO2 to come out of solution and rouse the yeast), and see what happens.

I used Montrachet, first month was @ 68* second month was 72*

I'm thinking it's done, or it's going to take another month to move a point or two ....

You should be sure to spin the hydrometer to get the bubbles off. They will artificially float the hyrdo and cause your reading to be high.

i'm sitting here with 36 22 oz bottles and some priming sugar ready to go...

looking at the carboy and bottling bucket ---

You should be sure to spin the hydrometer to get the bubbles off. They will artificially float the hyrdo and cause your reading to be high.

done... waited tapped -- spun, decanted into another tube... 1.001

:ban:

Pitched March 13

Last 3 readings: April 23 -- 1.002 April 27 -- 1.001 May 7 -- 1.001

36 22 oz bottles! sweet! well a little tart, but that's another story....

I was expecting .998, but didn't think it would take a year....

The tartness might mellow as it carbs/ages in the bottles. Can't say for sure as I haven't bottles mine yet :) I plan on using 1L amber flip tops.

I have 1 more month for mine, and I wanted to give a few bottles to family this Christmas, does anyone know of a decent source for 1000ml cobalt blue or black flip top bottles?

Back