Apex Flavors - Peanut Butter Cup, Choco Coconut, Oatmeal Cookie - who has experience?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was trying to remember the name of this company and googled Apex extracts.
Ummmmmm..... not what I was looking for!

Not gonna lie, I just pulled a sample of my chocolate PB milk stout (approx. 3oz) and dosed it with a toothpick that I stuck in the jar of Peanut Butter Cup extract, and I'm not a fan as of right now. The smell definitely does not smell like peanut butter cups and it's a clear artificial smell.

I sealed the sample and am letting it sit for a bit to see if it mellows out but initial taste/smell is not good....

(Aaaaaaaand queue the lynching mob!)

Not gonna lie, I just pulled a sample of my chocolate PB milk stout (approx. 3oz) and dosed it with a toothpick that I stuck in the jar of Peanut Butter Cup extract, and I'm not a fan as of right now. The smell definitely does not smell like peanut butter cups and it's a clear artificial smell.

I sealed the sample and am letting it sit for a bit to see if it mellows out but initial taste/smell is not good....

(Aaaaaaaand queue the lynching mob!)

Funny. I just returned from a local brewery that just put a peanut butter porter on tap. My neighbor and I thought it was an exact clone of my beer. I thought it was great. Not too much of the PB.

I spoke at length with the brewer. I saw his gallon container of choco pb flavor, from LD Carlson. I’m gonna say it’s the same as I used.

When I got the extracts from Apex, I bought some commercial porter and put a tiny bit in it and tasted. All I could detect was a strong chemically ethanoly flavor. Ouch. My wife, walking through the house, thought there was a gas leak (we don't have NG).

So, I would not assume that your toothpick test was a good test. The PB isn't strong in my porter... I probably could have added more. But I don't think it tastes artificial.

When I got the extracts from Apex, I bought some commercial porter and put a tiny bit in it and tasted. All I could detect was a strong chemically ethanoly flavor. Ouch. My wife, walking through the house, thought there was a gas leak (we don't have NG).

So, I would not assume that your toothpick test was a good test. The PB isn't strong in my porter... I probably could have added more. But I don't think it tastes artificial.
So what would be a better test to test it out without ruining the batch?

If it seems like a big deal, probably just don't add it. For me, every batch is an experiment, with some risk attached.

Yeah, I'm probably not going to add it. I have nothing on tap currently, so I'm not willing to ruin this batch haha. I think I'll let it sit on the 2lbs of PB in secondary for another week or two and leave it at that.

For me, every batch is an experiment, with some risk attached.

Word.

The peanuts I added got me to where I wanted flavor and aroma wise regarding the strength of pb in the beer. As I assumed would happen, zero head, but that’s what the next experiment is for!

Just kegged my sweet stout for Christmas and I added 3.5 tsp of the mint chocolate extract.

Couldn't help but sneak a taste and it's delicious. An andes mint flavoured sweet stout will be divine this holiday!

Funny. I just returned from a local brewery that just put a peanut butter porter on tap. My neighbor and I thought it was an exact clone of my beer. I thought it was great. Not too much of the PB.

I spoke at length with the brewer. I saw his gallon container of choco pb flavor, from LD Carlson. I’m gonna say it’s the same as I used.
@passedpawn Curious - which local Brewery? Would like to try theirs.

so does this stuff, like, turn beer into a sorta grain based wine cooler or something? joke :)

or maybe something for the hard water thread!

(no i don't need to get cussed out by a forum admin!, but thought it was funny. And how about some caffeine while we're at it!)

How do these compare to the LorAnn oils/extracts? I got a cream ale kit with a dram of apple flavor and it was really good. That prompted me to seek out a variety pack of their stuff on Amazon. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to experimenting with them yet.

How do these compare to the LorAnn oils/extracts? I got a cream ale kit with a dram of apple flavor and it was really good. That prompted me to seek out a variety pack of their stuff on Amazon. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to experimenting with them yet.

Never had those before, but these are so good I wouldn't have much reason to ever switch to anything else.

IMG_3560.JPG
Some taste testing going on in advance of my porter currently fermenting.

Chocolate peanut butter- awesome. Great aroma. Good flavor. Too much gives you a chemical flavor.

Oatmeal cookie-great aroma and delicious oatmeal cookie flavor.

Maple bacon- tastes like your grain bill was 25% black patent. Best way to describe it. Was hoping for Funky Budda mbcp. But, nope.

I tested these in commercial porters before I used them in the actual homebrew. I guess I got the amounts wrong or something, because it was pretty terrible.

In the homebrew, no problem.

The peanut butter cup is pretty weak on the PB. I'll probably look for peanut butter only next time.

View attachment 597159 Some taste testing going on in advance of my porter currently fermenting.

Chocolate peanut butter- awesome. Great aroma. Good flavor. Too much gives you a chemical flavor.

Oatmeal cookie-great aroma and delicious oatmeal cookie flavor.

Maple bacon- tastes like your grain bill was 25% black patent. Best way to describe it. Was hoping for Funky Budda mbcp. But, nope.

Enjoyed reading your feedback. I was thinking about the maple bacon one myself, so it looks like a hard pass for me.

I've never gotten any chemical flavor in mine, especially once you mix it into 5 gallons. My buddy ordered the oatmeal cookie one. I want to put that in a porter pretty bad! Haha

PassedPawn-interesting take on peanut butter. I thought it was good Pb and if anything, light on chocolate. I used your ratio from an early post that I think scaled down to roughly 1ml per 12 oz bottle.

MapleGrove-I hate to turn anyone off, I’d rather everyone try it themselves and maybe your flavor profile is different. But if you want a free sample, I know where you can find one. [emoji6]

PassedPawn-interesting take on peanut butter. I thought it was good Pb and if anything, light on chocolate. I used your ratio from an early post that I think scaled down to roughly 1ml per 12 oz bottle.

MapleGrove-I hate to turn anyone off, I’d rather everyone try it themselves and maybe your flavor profile is different. But if you want a free sample, I know where you can find one. [emoji6]

I am certain there's an interaction between the base beer and these flavors.

For example, if you've ever had baker's chocolate, you know it's awful. Add some sugar and it's a whole different experience. These flavors probably benefit from leaving some residual sugars in the beer. In my case, I used a highly-attenuated low ABV porter. That was probably not the best match for the flavors.

I use Apex all of the time, but limit to 4-5ml per 5 gallon batch to start with. Even used it on a 5bbl batch brewed in a brew pub. I read on this forum DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus used Apex so I tried them. Both are from the Baltimore area. Really like their Hazelnut and Caramel extract.

I use Apex all of the time, but limit to 4-5ml per 5 gallon batch to start with. Even used it on a 5bbl batch brewed in a brew pub. I read on this forum DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus used Apex so I tried them. Both are from the Baltimore area. Really like their Hazelnut and Caramel extract.
How close were you able to get to SBJ?

I see Apex now has a toasted coconut extract. I'm thinking of ordering some and brewing a toasted coconut milk stout in a few weeks and keg it for winter.
Anyone try it yet?

Latest posts

Back