Apex Flavors - Peanut Butter Cup, Choco Coconut, Oatmeal Cookie - who has experience?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Apex is also known as Silver Cloud Flavors.

I have the following flavors, and I expect to add them to a 5g porter in the near future. Does anyone have experience, specifically with the amounts to add? Thanks in advance. I've looked at the recommendations on the site, but I'm hoping to find some use cases here on HBT.
  • Chocolate Coconut
  • Otatmeal Cookie
  • Peanut Butter Cup
Here are all the beer flavors: https://www.apexflavors.com/Beverage-Industry/Craft-Brewing

Last edited:
Why not just add a few drops of one of those to a glass of regular Porter? That keeps all possibilities open without "tainting" a whole keg with the same.
That's what I do with that bottle of Amoretti Tangerine Puree.

Why not just add a few drops of one of those to a glass of regular Porter? That keeps all possibilities open without "tainting" a whole keg with the same.
That's what I do with that bottle of Amoretti Tangerine Puree.

Yea I'm going to do something exactly like that. Probably brew the base porter this wkend.

Sorry I totally missed this thread. Yes they are all great from what I've tried, and will be perfect as holiday beers!

I just ordered a chocolate mint one for a mint chocolate stout I'm about to brew, as well as watermelon extract for a watermelon wheat next summer.

Sorry I totally missed this thread. Yes they are all great from what I've tried, and will be perfect as holiday beers!

I just ordered a chocolate mint one for a mint chocolate stout I'm about to brew, as well as watermelon extract for a watermelon wheat next summer.

It was your earlier posts (last year) that brought Apex to my attention. Thanks!

Adding 3 tbsp per carboy this weekend. That corresponds to about 0.25% by volume, which is the suggested amount. One carboy is gonna be choco coconut, other peanut butter cup. Hope to serve these at a party this Christmas.

Please provide updates when the time comes. Thanks!

Never used those flavors, but have used apex.
Great stuff and their recommendations are a good place to start.
I found the peanut butter flavor comes off a little weaker than their chocolate.
I use 17.5ml of each for a 5 gallon keg.
I add it to the empty keg, essentially.

Been meaning to try the oatmeal cookie.
Please report on that one.

I found the peanut butter flavor comes off a little weaker than their chocolate.

As sad as it sounds, I think I'll use it in an oatmeal stout. Why not :)

An oatmeal cookie porter/stout sounds AMAZING! haha

Browsing that site I feel like the kids that walked into the Willy Wonka factory. So many possibilities lol

FYI 15ml in a tablespoon. So I used 45 ml. We’ll see

I just made a PB & J Brown ale with their PB & Raspberry additions. I went with 20 ml of the raspberry & 25 ml of the PB. It's really good but the reaspberry overpowers the PB. Beer is flavor balanced and really good but the PB is kinda drowned out. I'm afraid adding more PB will ruin it.

I know it doesn't address your flavor selections but from what I tried and other posts I've read it seems the PB flavorings should lean to the higher end of Apex's recommendations.

These flavorings by FAR are the best stuff I've tried/used and definitely work good. I must have just tried to do too much with the PBJ brown.

Love to hear how yours turn out and your experiences with the ones you bought. I'm looking forward to trying more of these. (I bought a mango for a hefe but will try that one early next year)

That's exactly what I was afraid of and decided to buy the PB and chocolate separately.
I agree, the PB tends to be more on the nose and less on the palate than the other flavors.
I find the vanilla to be a tad weak as well.
Chocolate is strong.

Neighbor and I had one a glass of the Choco Coconut porter while watching sports on TV. Absolutely delish. The amount I used, 3 tbsp per carboy, was just perfect. It has a distinct chocolate aroma and flavor. The coconut isn't as strong, but it's clearly there.

Then we drank a lot more :)

Where do you get this deliciousness? I thought I read they don’t sell to home brewers.

Although their website says they do not supply home hobbyists. I didn't see that before. But you still have the option to order it. Not sure what that's about...

@AkTom

I bought straight from their site. No problem. I bought the 4 oz size of each. That's about right for 15 gallons of beer at the strength I used. At least it is for the choco coconunt. Haven't even tried the PB cup yet. Might get that hooked up to a tap this week.

You can find some random stuff on Amazon from Apex (and Silver Cloud, which is the same company). Very random though.

This is what my order looked like.

upload_2018-9-30_17-1-16.png

The note on their website is about people using the flavorings to create vape juice (or whatever that’s called).

Our products are not sold for use as flavor for e-cigarettes.
We do not supply e-liquid manufacturers or home hobbyists.

My son and his girl requested I put the peanut butter cup porter on tap, so I did last night. It's even better than the choco coconut "mounds bar" porter. Man, just a home run these beers. I don't drink a lot of dark / flavored beers, but I might start :)

In case anyone is curious, here's the Jamil recipe I used for the robust porter:

upload_2018-10-2_18-16-34.png

Looks good! I used 20 ml of the chocolate coconut last year in a porter recipe I made. I made an outstanding porter recipe with brown malt and it was awesome. One keg was left alone featuring the regular porter and the other keg I added the 20 mils of the chocolate coconut flavor, as my daughter in law requested it. It came out really good also and it did taste like a mounds bar. I have to try that peanut butter flavor next time!

John

I honestly wish more people knew about these extracts. I think they're a mild secret in the homebrewing community. They're simply outstanding. I try and spread the word as best I can, just don't want to come off as too pushy about it.

@passedpawn That taplist looks great! Well done!

How did you get a tap list like that? Is that an app or something?

It took me exactly 5 minutes to create that display BTW. I already had the TV up there for sports etc. The pub display is an app that you configure on your PC browser. What you can't see is that the snowflakes are moving - it's pretty sweet. I can update it from my pc in seconds.

See https://taplist.io/help/fire-tv-setup

1. Put one of the following over your keezer: an Amazon tablet, Amazon Fire TV, or ANY tv with a Amazon fire stick plugged into an HDMI port
  2. On the Amazon display device, search and add the taplist IO app.
  3. Set up a free account on taplist and create the display there. You'll see a live representation on your computer. Click save and it shows up on the display. You don't have to be an artist or programmer :)

It took me exactly 5 minutes to create that display BTW. I already had the TV up there for sports etc. The pub display is an app that you configure on your PC browser. What you can't see is that the snowflakes are moving - it's pretty sweet. I can update it from my pc in seconds.

See https://taplist.io/help/fire-tv-setup

1. Put one of the following over your keezer: an Amazon tablet, Amazon Fire TV, or ANY tv with a Amazon fire stick plugged into an HDMI port
  2. On the Amazon display device, search and add the taplist IO app.
  3. Set up a free account on taplist and create the display there. You'll see a live representation on your computer. Click save and it shows up on the display. You don't have to be an artist or programmer :)
That's awesome. Thanks! I only have a two tap kegerator right now but still might be nice to have something like that

I used 3tbsp of the pb cup in a brown ale. I get more aroma than flavor. Are you guys getting a lot of flavor?

Not sure if I should add more extract or try to add something for some nutty or vanilla-like sweetness to round out the finish. The beer is on the dryer side, which tastes fine, but seems to me like it needs more sweetness to match the aroma.

I used 3tbsp of the pb cup in a brown ale. I get more aroma than flavor. Are you guys getting a lot of flavor?

Not sure if I should add more extract or try to add something for some nutty or vanilla-like sweetness to round out the finish. The beer is on the dryer side, which tastes fine, but seems to me like it needs more sweetness to match the aroma.

The peanut butter cup gives me great flavor. I kinda wish I had some of the porter WITHOUT the flavor to compare, but I didn't leave any unflavored.

Yea, the aroma is significant. My beer's only about 5% ABV - did you make a bigger beer? I also agree, it could be sweeter. That chocolate and peanut butter would probably be more pronounced with a sweeter beer.

Ok. Thanks. I’ll taste it again tonight and see if I should put in more extract or maybe something else.

I went the route of PB separate from my other flavorings. The PB gets drowned out with other flavorings added (made a PB&J) I never went back and added more PB as I can live with it.

I will be ordering the PB Cup and a couple more. These really are the bees knees for flavorings. Literally picking up no artificial tastes.

Just wish the PB was stronger flavor on its own.

I ended up trying to add some extra ingredients to the keg. The beer is a club challenge to use 10% cereal or cookies in the mash, so nutter butter cookies is what I was shooting for. Last night I toasted some peanuts and some oatmeal and then put it in the keg with an extra tbsp of pb cup extract. Tonight I tried it and it made a huge improvement. You can defiantly get the peanut butter aroma and helped me get more in the finish that was looking for. Now I am trying to figure out how long to leave it in there. Anyone have any experience with nuts in a keg?

@passedpawn What was the mash time and temperature for that Robust Porter recipe? I’m thinking of brewing it and trying one of the Apex flavorings, hard to choose which one. Thinking a coffee or an amaretto.

@passedpawn What was the mash time and temperature for that Robust Porter recipe? I’m thinking of brewing it and trying one of the Apex flavorings, hard to choose which one. Thinking a coffee or an amaretto.

• 60m
  • 150F (but you should bump that up to 155 or higher... I brew every beer the same out of muscle memory; and, I think this beer would work better if it was a little sweeter)
  • Also, use S-04 or some other english yeast.

Good luck. Peanut butter cup is my fave so far.

Back