anyone want to get in on a White Labs WLP773 Scottish Cider Yeast Blend order?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I got mine today too! The yeast looks clumpy and thick in the vial!

how is your fermentation going? Mine is going very strong. My OG was a bit low at 1.030, but I am going to rack this must into a secondary & up the SG a bit using Agave Nectar. Also to help fine my must. It's a bit cloudy
2019springcider2_zpsaeoht82y.jpg

how is your fermentation going? Mine is going very strong. My OG was a bit low at 1.030, but I am going to rack this must into a secondary & up the SG a bit using Agave Nectar. Also to help fine my must. It's a bit cloudy

I have to wait for a carboy to free up !! Too many fermentations !!

I got my yeast back on the 18th, and was wondering if anyone had their yeast show up warm, as out of a warm/hot car warm? I made a starter (1L with DME 1.035) to make sure the yeast isn't dead, which it did ferment, but the what I decanted off has a little gassy/off flavor and smell, reminding me of a beer that maybe is going bad, but not bad yet.

I've only just started trying to make cider, and don't have any experience with this yeast. Should it still be good? Or should I look into trying to get a replacement?

I got my yeast back on the 18th, and was wondering if anyone had their yeast show up warm, as out of a warm/hot car warm? I made a starter (1L with DME 1.035) to make sure the yeast isn't dead, which it did ferment, but the what I decanted off has a little gassy/off flavor and smell, reminding me of a beer that maybe is going bad, but not bad yet.

I've only just started trying to make cider, and don't have any experience with this yeast. Should it still be good? Or should I look into trying to get a replacement?
Sounds like you already made a starter. Add some apple juice & some sugar to see if you start your must to ferment.

What is that? Doesn't look like apple juice and that's a super low OG for apple juice.

What is that? Doesn't look like apple juice and that's a super low OG for apple juice.

I had some green apples that I cut up & added into a blender. Also added some red apples. I added the puree & with pectin enzyme it will eventually become cider. I have done this before without an issue. The last time I did it, I used WLP616 : White Lab's Funky Cider Blend. This was the final result after one month
FunkyCider3a_zpsotwllyo9.jpg

Forgive my ignorance but what is the gauge you have on the front of this?

I like your process! I recently started peeling my apples and throwing the skins into the fermenter, then juicing the apples, I think it addes more flavor!

but most yeast make it very dry in the end though - I did a batch using the Funky Cider blend, where I dry hopped it. The end product taste freakin' great.

but most yeast make it very dry in the end though - I did a batch using the Funky Cider blend, where I dry hopped it. The end product taste freakin' great.

Which hops did you use and how much? I've read that less than an ounce is appropriate for cider

Sounds like you already made a starter. Add some apple juice & some sugar to see if you start your must to ferment.
I did not see your post to try that until after 8 pitched the yeast into my juice. It is bubbling like crazy, so it appears to be working.

For future reference, how much juice + sugar would you recommend using?

Which hops did you use and how much? I've read that less than an ounce is appropriate for cider

I used cascade hops. I heard/read 1 oz per gallon. Here is a good video to checkout

I did not see your post to try that until after 8 pitched the yeast into my juice. It is bubbling like crazy, so it appears to be working.

For future reference, how much juice + sugar would you recommend using?
depends on how much you want. I would go for 5 gallons & add a pound of sugar. You substitute the sugar with corn sugar (aka dextrose) or checkout agave nectar. I found a good recipe on this site to provide with some more tips.

Nice! Thank you.

But where's the cider marking?! lol

I guess the beer marking is closest?
Cider is pretty much a white wine.
The lower you can ferment, the better, since the apple aromatics are highly volatile. I have my faux ice cider currently fermenting at 50°F. Some cider makers here ferment around 36°F.
Ferment as low as the yeast you're using can tolerate. :)

I have a bunch of those "fermometers" since I have a lot of fermenters. I tape them on (temporarily) so I don't have to worry about them while cleaning, and so I don't need one for every fermenter.

Cheers

Edit..... I should mention, if you're going for a more yeast-forward cider, choose temp based on whichever range gives the most desirable flavor from the yeast.

Last edited:
Cider is pretty much a white wine.
The lower you can ferment, the better, since the apple aromatics are highly volatile. I have my ice cider currently fermenting at 50°F. Some cider makers here ferment around 36°F.
Ferment as low as the yeast you're using can tolerate. :)

I have a bunch of those "fermometers" since I have a lot of fermenters. I tape them on so I don't have to worry about them while cleaning, and so I don't need one for every fermenter.

Cheers

Edit..... I should mention, if you're going for a more yeast-forward cider, choose temp based on whichever range gives the most desirable flavor from the yeast.

Are you using a glycol chiller? How are you able to get down to 50 degrees F? Mini fridge? I watched an episode of Chop n Brew where a guy left unpasteurized fresh cider in his fridge for a year with no added yeast and it naturally fermented.... he entered it into a contest and one first place.

Last edited:
Are you using a glycol chiller? How are you able to get down to 50 degrees F? Mini fridge? I watched an episode of Chop n Brew where a guy left unpasteurized fresh cider in his fridge for a year with no added yeast and it naturally fermented.... he entered it into a contest and one first place.
Fridge + inkbird controller
Got the fridge used, pretty cheap. It's old but it works fine. Temperature control is paramount for fermenting quality products without off-flavors. This is especially true for dry cider, which needs low temperature to maintain the apple flavor.
Wild fermentation also greatly benefits from temperature under 60°F to reduce unwanted bacterial funk.

20190328_152856.jpg
20190328_152816.jpg

Fridge + inkbird controller
Got the fridge used, pretty cheap. It's old but it works fine. Temperature control is paramount for fermenting quality products without off-flavors. This is especially true for dry cider, which needs low temperature to maintain the apple flavor.
Wild fermentation also greatly benefits from temperature under 60°F to reduce unwanted bacterial funk.

View attachment 623820 View attachment 623821

Awesome! I have an inkbird too, but Im using it to keep my Brett lambic beers at 75, I also use it after normal ale is done at 65 to raise it to75 for a couple days for diacetyl rest...

how is everyone's fermentation going? put into primary on 04/18/19 with a must mixed with cut up apples & some apple juice from concentrate. Racked into secondary fermenter on 04/26/19 (mainly for fining purposes) & fermentation still going strong :D

Last edited:
I used 6 gallons of store bought apple juice which I made a 1L starter with. Then put in to primary on 4/22 with 1.6 pounds of Dextrose to boost the OG to 1.050. I plan to leave that in primary for about a month. Then secondary for 1 -2 months. I was out of pectic enzyme at the time. I plan to add that later.

What surprised me is that this hasn't had a very active fermentation. Though it is bubbling away slowly. I've not used WLP773 before. I guess that's just the way it is.

I used 6 gallons of store bought apple juice which I made a 1L starter with. Then put in to primary on 4/22 with 1.6 pounds of Dextrose to boost the OG to 1.050. I plan to leave that in primary for about a month. Then secondary for 1 -2 months. I was out of pectic enzyme at the time. I plan to add that later.

What surprised me is that this hasn't had a very active fermentation. Though it is bubbling away slowly. I've not used WLP773 before. I guess that's just the way it is.

The earlier you add pectic enzyme the more effective it will be.

I found that 773 responded well to nutrients, 1 gm per gallon. Just plain old DAP, up front. My ferment was quite vigorous and only took 2 weeks to reach terminal gravity at 62°F. With a plastic bucket and airlock in my basement brew area I could hear the bucket "bloop" even upstairs in the house.

Last edited:
Getting in on this thread since I'm making my first cider this evening using WLP773. I'm typically a beer brewer and kombucha maker but I'm interested in exploring ciders. I'd welcome any feedback or suggestions.

My plan:
  • Five gallons of unfiltered apple juice from my local natural food store (already purchased)
  • Add 1-2 pounds dextrine to increase gravity
  • Add 5 tsp of yeast nutrient to improve fermentation
  • Add pectic enzyme per the instructions on the bottle to fine
  • Made a starter to get to 220 billion yeast cells (already in process)
  • Ferment at 62 until it finishes
  • Rack to keg
  • Add 0.5 tsp of potassium sorbate per gallon - stir & let sit for 24 hrs
  • Back-sweeten to taste & carbonate
Adding the sorbate to stop fermentation of course. While my keg will stay cold, I may give bottles to friends from time to time and they may let it warm up. Don't want them to have bottle bombs.

Anything else I should consider? I had seen something about ascorbic acid to prevent browning and promoting a brighter fruit character. Anything to that? Once I have it in the serving keg, should I age it further at room temp or should I go ahead and chill it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I found that 773 responded well to nutrients, 1 gm per gallon. Just plain old DAP, up front. My ferment was quite vigorous and only took 2 weeks to reach terminal gravity at 62°F. With a plastic bucket and airlock in my basement brew area I could hear the bucket "bloop" even upstairs in the house.

Interesting. I added 6 tsp of yeast nutrient with the dextrose up front when I put everything in the fermenter. I'll have to move that out to a warmer area to see if the activity increases.

And, before any one says anything, I did make sure the juice was pasturized when I purchased it. It did not have any preservatives.

I racked my must into a secondary & from the bottom of the primary there was about one gallon - I have added .5 oz of Nelson Sauvin hops - see how this batch will taste like

I racked my must into a secondary & from the bottom of the primary there was about one gallon - I have added .5 oz of Nelson Sauvin hops - see how this batch will taste like

Where’d you find em? Dried? Pellet?

Racked to secondary on 5/19. The cider is very clear. Tasted kind of tart. Not really strong but, I liked it. I plan to put that in to a keg in a few weeks when one opens up. All of my kegs are full currently. I'll probably treat with sorbate and add some concentrate to bring the sweetness up a little.

Racked to secondary on 5/19. The cider is very clear. Tasted kind of tart. Not really strong but, I liked it. I plan to put that in to a keg in a few weeks when one opens up. All of my kegs are full currently. I'll probably treat with sorbate and add some concentrate to bring the sweetness up a little.
Use sulfite too!

I have become a Big fan of this strain - my cider came out so clear & you guys saw what I had previously too - taste great too!!! I am will always try & get WLP 773 when it's available

I want to try it, but I'm not ordering any yeast until the weather cools off.

It's from the vault. You can sign up in the fall, but it didn't ship until spring this past year.

I hear you on general principle. I've got a couple vials sitting in the fridge, hoping the mix stays in proportion past the "expiration" date.

Speaking as a northerner, I really wish the Cider strains from the vault would ship in September.

Good idea, I will send White Labs an email requesting this strain to be more available. Also more people should provide feedback to White Labs so they will have this strain available in the Fall.

Last edited:
Speaking as a northerner, I really wish the Cider strains from the vault would ship in September.

With cider liking late season apples even December would work! But coming out in spring is a little lame. I wish the vault took into account seasonal variations&demand like this.

Back