Anyone using a Tilt hydrometer with a RIMs BIAB system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crabbit

Reaction score
They say the tilt is good to 185 degress F. I was wondering if anyone has tried using it in a RIMs Biab system? My thought is if you reach your target or are no longer gaining gravity points you can stop and start your boil.

thoughts?

I'm not sure it would work correctly if it was immersed in a grain/wort mixture.

I would not risk using mine in temps in the 150s or higher but it is an interesting question to consider.

The Tilt has to remain still to measure gravity via the angular sensor. I don't imagine it will give very good readings swirling and bobbing around in a mash tun.

The Tilt has to remain still to measure gravity via the angular sensor. I don't imagine it will give very good readings swirling and bobbing around in a mash tun.
good point but I could turn the pump off to grab a reading.

good point but I could turn the pump off to grab a reading.
Not trying to be a Debbie downer but the voice of reason tells me you could much more easily grab a sample and more accurately take a gravity reading with a $14 refractometer like https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-32-Brix-...hash=item4d8317199c:m:msCAejk89Ys7mydFQtKTbRA too. I'm all for playing with cool gizmos but this just doesnt make practical sense.. You also would have to leave it in there long enough for the internal temp sensor to equalize with the medium its in which would take a bit.

You do know the tilts dont measure with the best accuracy right? I used mine about 6 times now any I still havent gotten consistent results. its more to show the progress of fermentation and should be used along with a real hydrometer or refractometer.

Back