Anyone Tried Malting A Warm Climate???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x2n2005

Reaction score
I am trying to malt some barley and it goes well but, when it is time for germination it begins to smell sour then gets mold later on. We usually have a temperature of 25c to 32c.

We do not have home brew stores in our country (Philippines) so I cannot buy already malted grain. Someone please help me.

I'm not an expert but I think your problem is too much water. The barley needs to be slightly damp to sprout but too much water will drown the sprout and then it will get sour.

From the brief reading I have done here, it looks like you need to find a way to control your temperature. Germinating should occur at around 18c so if you are leaving the grain at ambient temperature you are going to encounter some problems. Good ventilation is also another key ingredient as that will probably help you avoid mold.

I am no expert... I just use the googles.

Thank you, guys. I will try both of your suggestions. I am sorry for the late reply. I was caught up with work.

I am going to put the grains on a towel so it absorb the excess moisture and maybe try to put it in the refrirator. I think that might do the trick i hope.

The minimum temperature for barley to sprout is 3-5 C. so your refrigerator might work OK. Its preferred temperature is 20 C. so it should still sprout in your warm temperature. It will take longer to sprout in the cold though. Try a few grains each way to see how it might work. Place 5 or so on a damp paper towel, slip them into a plastic bag and seal it so it doesn't dry out. Check the seeds in about 5 days to see if you see little rootlets or a sprout coming out the end. Keep them out of sunlight as that will get them too hot and kill them.

The minimum temperature for barley to sprout is 3-5 C. so your refrigerator might work OK. Its preferred temperature is 20 C. so it should still sprout in your warm temperature. It will take longer to sprout in the cold though. Try a few grains each way to see how it might work. Place 5 or so on a damp paper towel, slip them into a plastic bag and seal it so it doesn't dry out. Check the seeds in about 5 days to see if you see little rootlets or a sprout coming out the end. Keep them out of sunlight as that will get them too hot and kill them.

thank you, friend. i got my a couple of plastic bags from the store. hopefully the plastic bag method you suggested goes well. :)

Latest posts

Back