Anyone Squeeze Their Bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blanchmd

Reaction score
Dry hop bag, that is... Just wondering, my dry hops for some Northeast style IPAs are large in quantity, and when done the muselin bag is swollen up. I have squeezed it to drain that hoppy goodness back into the beer but of course I am causing potential (or more likely, definite) oxidation problems. But I can't help but think that a lot of that aroma is trapped in that hop sludge bomb in the bag. Thoughts? I'm dry hopping tonight, was thinking of just throwing them I and then cold crashing in a couple days before I keg it. Does most of the hops settle to the bottom when you cold crash? Thoughts generally? THanks

I always squeeze it. I want my beer back from that sludge! Today I squeezed it into a glass and enjoyed the powerful hoppy juice.

Who doesn't? (OK... Admittedly, I am making a feeble attempt at a sleezy joke.) I do not squeeze my dry hops bags. But, I do dry hop in the keg.

Mike

:mug:

BK hops I squeeze 'em like they owe me money :mad:
PVC insulated gloves. Don't use hop bags without 'em ;)

Dry hops swim free, then crash to the bottom and get racked above.
No squeezing required...

Cheers!

I had a girlfriend that used to do that now I'm married so I have to squeeze my own bag....

Mug..........

Okay question since I have just started using hop bags(they didn't have them back in the 80's when I learned to brew!). Leave them in until the wort is cooled or pull them and squeeze as mentioned? I have gloves form my BBQ catering days that I can wear and stick my hand in a deep fryer with no damage... still use them for pulling pork and moving ribs on the Traeger.

Decided to pull and drain then cool. More sanitary when hot and once off the boil they probably aren't adding much. Otherwise they get in the way of the cooling coil an stirring. This was my second batch of NB Phat Tyre so I can compare against batch #1 to see if any flavor aroma changes.

Back