Anyone else like cold dark walks in winter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerinBR

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Right now the temp is 1.6F and by 9PM it should be about -1F or so. I think after I bottle I am going to suit up and go for a walk into the woods and enjoy the snow and cold. Maybe I will get to see a break in the clouds and the moon rising, if I am real lucky I can find a devil to dance with in the pale moon light.

Being from California I LOVE the late night walks under the stars, in shorts and a sweater year round.

Right now the temp is 1.6F and by 9PM it should be about -1F or so. I think after I bottle I am going to suit up and go for a walk into the woods and enjoy the snow and cold. Maybe I will get to see a break in the clouds and the moon rising, if I am real lucky I can find a devil to dance with in the pale moon light.
you are crazy for this whole rant of insane crazyness filled with the off balance ravings of a madman.

Being from California I LOVE the late night walks under the stars, in shorts and a sweater year round.
easy there, Lt. Dangle.

I love it too. Cold and quiet, except for the occasional owl hooting away. It's especially gorgeous on a night like now, where the sky is clear and there's an (almost) full moon.

Well, it didn't get up to 0 today, and the wind was wicked so I didn't really feel like doing much outside and even running errands wasn't very nice.

It's supposed to get really warm tomorrow, like above 0 even for a while, so I will definitely get out a bit.

Bob takes the dog on two long walks a day, but when he went out this morning it was about -15 and windy and I was afraid my face would freeze off. :D

The older I get, the more I hate winter. I'll be in Texas in about a week, and I'll enjoy taking a walk alot more once I get warm!

I hate this weather. I spent yesterday applying for jobs on the west coast to get out of this crap.

I greatly prefer warm weather. And I haven't taken a long walk in 0* in many years. But I do love the winter sky, the clarity of the light, the color of afternoon sunlight. I usually get out on one of my boats in winter, the Long Island Sound is sublime. There are birds from way up north that winter down here, Loons and Gannets. I've paddled the harbor with ice on it. I don't do this for any extreme sport kind of thrill, just the alone with nature kind.

This winter is like the last, to much snow at one time to drag my trail with the ATV. I like to walk without a light at night, so I need a smooth trail. It is interesting in the morning, to see who else took the same path.

What a wonderful walk, the wind has calmed some but the lake effect snow is falling again. No breaks in the clouds so no moon no stars. Went 1.25 miles out the gravel road into the forest and turned around to return. The snow made that squeaking crunching sound that I like, the pine boughs were bent from the snow and wind gust sometimes fill the air with cold crystals as they sway. The forest at night is so cool, specially in the winter. Dang I love winter!

Yep.
My favorite weather for a walk is in autumn and overcast with very low dark clouds - clouds actually black on the bottoms - and about 50 to 60 degrees and windy.

****, What have I done.

EDIT: What the ****, I cant say ****, what about ****, or twat? Can I say bollocks, or ****?

EDIT 2: I now know what cuss words are allowed on this forum. Thank you

now I'm curious.
Ok, here goes ... when heating up a brick pizza oven can you burn a bundle of ******s ?

Edit: woo-hoo ! ... NO you may NOT burn a bundle of those.

Ok so I guess I could just burn some scrap lumber. But how lame would that be? What? use some scrap 2x4's right?
Artisinal? ... pfffft ... mine arse on a bandbox, sir.

Ok. And while the pizza is cooking can one smoke a fag ?

Edit: YES! you may smoke one of those, but you may NOT burn a bundle of the item similarly termed but stated in the unabridged version of the word.

that's why I call people "pterodactyl". it's way more offensive to masculinity than being called a *****.

How would calling me a giant prehistoric flying reptile be offensive to my masculinity. Wouldn't it be a boost to my masculinity? I wouldnt mind being called pterodactyl :ban:

Just to clarify, here is what we were going to burn in the oven
nmwa2478.jpg

and NO ... NOT the peasant ... just the bundle.
And just for the record, the painting is from the mid 1800's and is titled "The ****** Gatherers".

<Oooo ... isn't this just dandy fun?>

now I'm curious.
Ok, here goes ... when heating up a brick pizza oven can you burn a bundle of ******s ?

Edit: woo-hoo ! ... NO you may NOT burn a bundle of those.

Ok so I guess I could just burn some scrap lumber. But how lame would that be? What? use some scrap 2x4's right?
Artisinal? ... pfffft ... mine arse on a bandbox, sir.

Ok. And while the pizza is cooking can one smoke a fag ?

Edit: YES! you may smoke one of those, but you may NOT burn a bundle of the item similarly termed but stated in the unabbreviated version of the word.

Damn fagot, all I wanna do is use one to cook my pizza

EDIT: apparently if you use the correct spelling of fagot for the definition of a bundle of sticks it actually works. If you use the spelling that means a homeosexual, ******, it is blocked

I slip on a pair of YAK Tracks and am good to go day or night. I also have been sleeping outside on a cot all year round now for close to 7 years, winter, spring, summer and fall. It is awesome and I wish I had started doing this 20 years ago. I fall asleep below the starry heavens. So far the coldest night so far was 16 below. I dress in multiple layers and use 2 sleeping bags and on the coldest nights may even pull a tarp over me if there is a wind chill. Try it sometime.

Ok, back to the topic of the thread.

Can you go on a "cold dark walk in winter" to pick up some ******s for your pizza oven?

Arrrgh ... nevermind.

To go back on topic because, why not. I also enjoy a wintery walk in the woods at night. Especially on a windless night when the world is silent, aside from the deafening sound of snowflakes falling. Its funny how when all is still and no one is around, snow falling can be that loud. Add in a bright moon as a night light and you have relaxation.

On the other hand, a late night walk in the middle of a balmy summer night is nice too. Spring and fall work as well, just as long as its dark, quiet and clear.

I live in the city, not much forest walking. However I find walking thru the commons during a good Nor'easter to be such a therapeutic thing. Looks almost like a black and white movie, you hear no sounds as the snow muffles everything, see no person, and for a moment feel like you are alone.

So much epicness. Can sometimes be made better by listening to simon and garfunkel.

I used to love rabbit hunting in the cedar swamps in winter. All you hear are the small birds chirping. Unless the dog has caught scent, then it's ON baby!

I don't remember the last time I took a walk in the woods at night in winter. I will have to try that soon. I will have to DRIVE to get there, since we live close to a freeway. It's amazing how much quieter and more peaceful in the winter otherwise.

Back