Anyone brewed a grodziskie?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Z

Reaction score
I used the search function and couldn't find a thread regarding someone brewing a grodziskie. I found a recipe for Andrew's Grodziskie in the AHA recipe database. I am planning to brew it.

I've done a little Internet research and two potential issues come to mind: Hops and clarity.

The recipe I'm using calls for Sterling hops. The shop I went to today didn't have those nor the lublin hops. There is another shop nearby I can hit up to see if they have those hops. But it's unclear what the best hops are for this style. I have saaz on hand I can use if that's appropriate.

This beer is supposed to be very clear. But wheat tends to create haze and this is an all wheat beer. Someone said they fined with gelatin and it was still hazy. I was thinking of hitting it with gelatin and then with polyclar to see if that does the trick.

So... what hops can I use and how can I get it clarity? I'm reluctant to use isinglass and I've heard it's a pain in the neck and it's rather expensive. I think the more useable liquid versions have a short shelf life.

The recipe calls for using what sounds like the chico yeast strain. I was planning on using Imperial Flagship yeast since that's the same strain and I have some on hand. The yeast that was traditionally used in this style appears to have been lost in the mists of time.

Thanks in advance.

I brewed one a while ago (I should do one again...), but lost the exact recipe when I moved. More or less, I remember using Saaz hops since I have trouble sourcing Lublin, as well. Generally, any noble hop should work in it I would think.

As far as clarifying a Grodziskie, whirlfloc/irish moss, cold crashing and time should clarifiy it pretty well. Yeast-wise, I remember using a dry yeast, probably S04 or US05.

Have you tried looking up recipes under Grodziskie's German name - Grätzer? You may find some more sources or information that way.

I made one a little while back and can look up the exact recipe when I get home. But pretty sure I had to use Saaz. For yeast, I used WY1007. Did not do anything special to clarify it but I remember it being pretty clear and champagne like. I really liked it, still have one bottle left I've been saving. Will definitely make again.

I am restricted to brewing with extract and small portions of grain. I did a sort of one (2.2 gallons) a couple of months ago with 1.5 lbs wheat extract, 1 lb oak smoked wheat malt, and 4 ozs red wheat malt. I used saaz and K-97.
Sterling was partly bred from saaz. If I ever get back to being able to brew all-grain I'll do a proper one.

I brewed one, it turned out great! Scored a 33 at a comp.

90% Oak Smoked Wheat
6% Vienna
4% Munich

30 IBU of Saaz (Added at 60, 30 and 10)

I used WY1007 - German Ale yeast

I cleared it with gelatin, was remarkably clear.

Here she be...

Piwo1.JPG

Now I wish I had used K97. I have some on hand (I mostly use dry yeast because dry yeast is easier to portion out for the one gallon batches I brew). I used K97 in a kolsch and I quite liked the slight fruit flavor it left. Which I read later is probably considered a flaw. But I liked it so I used it on another kolsch.

I ended up using saaz hops and Imperial Flagship. I boiled down too far (I got a new pot and am still getting used to it) and so the gravity is higher than it was supposed to be (and a smaller amount of wort).

I threw in quite a bit of hops in the last ten minutes of the boil.

The wort didn't smell as smoky as beers I made with beechwood or cherry wood smoked malt, even though the amount of smoked malt in this beer is much greater.

If I do it again I think I'll look for another recipe and use K97. Would other noble type hops like tettnang and perle work?

https://beerandbrewing.com/make-your-best-gratzer/
I did something similar except I used all Saaz. Turned out crystal clear to my surprise.
It was good but different. The smokiness wasn’t overpowering but next time I may use 50/50 smoked wheat malt and Pilsner malt.
It also inspired me to add a 10-20% smoked malt to other recipes such as session pales etc.

I planed to make mine with 100% viking oak smoked wheat, but I had poor efficiency and had to add 8oz of wheat dme to a 10 gallon batch to get my OG to 1.028, it finished at 1.08 for a 2.6% ABV beer. I bittered to 30ibus with a 60 and 30 minute addition of sterling and used wlp29 kolsch yeast.

It didn't drink like a low gravity beer. The smoke character was prevalent the first few sips, but the bitterness took over from there. Overall it was a really crisp and refreshing beer. I had a fellow homebrewers grodziskie which had a higher og and fg and less bitterness, I preferred my version but that just may be my personal bias. I don't remember if I used gelatin but I remember that the beer did clear up.

I wouldn't worry too much about yeast, just use something relatively clean. I wouldn't worry too much with the hops either, just use your preferred hop for bittering and something nobleish if you want an aroma addition.

I made a Graetzer a year ago. Weyermann RauchWeizenMalz + Saaz + US-05 + Whirlfloc.
Crystal clear beer.
Didn't get much smokiness though (I'm looking at you, Chico yeast).

Saaz or saaz-like hops (lublin, sterling, etc.) are best choices but if you can't find those give any noble or noble-like hop a whirl.

Any clean yeast will be ok for the style.

I've cleared with irish moss and cold crashing and not had a problem. Look at a water profile with a reasonable amount of calcium to get a good break.

The big issue with making this style is getting quality grain. It should be made with oak smoked wheat malt which is available but so rarely bought in most shops that you run this risk that this already delicately smoked grain has sat in the shop long enough to have lost some of its punch.

Finally racked this thing to secondary. I'm going to chill it and use polyclar in the hopes of clearing it. It's very hazy at room temperature.

I also finally got some Sterling hops so I think I will try making another batch of this style of beer.

It would seem the recipes are basically a bunch of oak smoked wheat malt, a 60 minute bittering charge, and a 10 minute flavor charge. I think I will try using lager yeast (W3470) this time. Though I am rather partial to the K97 yeast.

Back