Anyone bag a deer this year?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pd230soi

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For those of us overseas.... (ok, not in our own country).

Any one bag a nice deer they want to share pics or stories?

I have been overseas since 2006 and missed every hunting season....

Nothin' this past gun season. Our party of 10 bagged 8 total, and two of us didn't shoot at all!

I've been making jerky like a mad man.

I don't deer hunt, but my daughter's "fella" does...and he got a nice one! The two of them gave my wife and I about 20 pounds of venison...some ground with a little pork, and other chops, roasts, etc. YUMMY!

glenn514:mug:

No deer here, but I did bag a moose. Did up some sausages, ground and roasts with it. Had some ground Elk given me also.... meh, tastes like good beef... very little wild flavour to it.

oh, wow.

My folks house in Maine has one or two moose that wander by from time to time. Any animal that tastes that good should not be that dumb.

Pictures! Fun stories?

I used to hunt with Bow, Blackpowder, and then High Power for years, then little kids and moving overseas put a kink in my hunting. I just don't feel right unless I put the time in scouting. Over here its a different game.

Did get an Elk last season.

1463-im-not-always-brewing.jpg

oh, wow.

My folks house in Maine has one or two moose that wander by from time to time. Any animal that tastes that good should not be that dumb.

Pictures! Fun stories?
QUOTE]

Lots of video since my last still picture with my moose and quite a few fun stories hunting that we tell in the shed while cooking up a feed of moose or whatever you have wild meat. But here is one from a few years ago of myself.

mylastmoose420.jpg

I'm not at home right now (staying in S. Texas during the cold weather up north), so I have no pictures but I have been bowhunting the last few years and got a deer each year with my bow! That's even more fun for me than rifle hunting.

I have been bowhunting for several years now, and have yet to take a deer. In my defense I have passed on quite a few that were close to sure things.

just hogs for me.

On the other hand, I did completely screw up on the biggest deer I have ever seen while hunting (which isn't all that huge... its FL after all). looking at homebrewtalk on my iphone while in the stand. Bow hanging behind me. heard something walking up as I turned, I almost had a heart attack and no way to get my bow without being busted. Don't get me started on how mad I was. 10 yards... the shot I had been waiting for for years.

Did get an Elk last season.
Nice looking bull there Bend, congrats. I grew up in Virginia and no one in my family deer hunted, we did mostly upland and waterfowl. I moved out here and when I met my wife and her family I started deer hunting with them. I didnt get one last year but managed to bag one this year. Hes not a huge buck but hes my first and to me hes awesome. Heres a few pics..

skull.jpg

deer.jpg

:mug:

. Don't get me started on how mad I was. 10 yards... the shot I had been waiting for for years.
Don't feel bad. A few years ago I missed a 20 point moose from 300 yards due to my scope being shagged up. Brother-in-law was filming it and when we viewed the tape, it showed the bullets hiting the ground a foot below the moose. I blame the scope even though I sighted it in for 200 yards..;)

Well i got 2 does this year but i will try to brighten you up with some pic of my deer from 06-08.

first pic is my best deer. At 6 1/2 years it scored 152, and made P&Y :rockin: I shot it at 25 yards with my bow. It was the last day of the season I decided to go to a stand that we haven't seen anything at all year but one doe. This buck came from the other side of the ranch. He was ran off by a 3 year old 8 pt. I just got lucky he was there.

second pic is a 4 1.2 year old 10 pt he was not really a great deer but he had a drop tine so I dropped his a$$. He scored 142 5/8.

the third pic is my first deer i took with a bow. I got the chance to take him with my dad in the stand with me. He was 5 1/2 years old and scored 148 2/8 that puts him in P&Y as well :rockin:

deer1-small.jpg

deer2-small.jpg

deer3-small.jpg

By and large I'm not a fan of guns or hunting, but I do love venison. My friend's father in law got a huge one early in the season, and we made some fantastic venison philly cheese steaks.

Nothing this past year, but took my son (10) out for the first time. We both went the second weekend in WI (Sat), saw nothing. Grandpa came along the next day (closing day) and he sat with Grandpa. They saw a doe, but we didn't have a doe tag. Needless to say, my son is hooked.

Went out the last few days of bow season here in the TX panhandle and saw several nice ones but on gun opening day not a damn thing for 3 days. Don't really hunt for antlers though because you can't eat them and does eat way better.

Luckily my bro in law runs a taxidermy shop so every day after we left the stand we would head up there and help him out caping a few of them. 4 people in a row only wanted the heads. Pissed me off but I wasn't going to let them go to waste. Busy day but ended up with about 145 lbs of venison in my freezer when I was done.

When I go to the restaurant the beef now tastes funny.

I shot a 133" 6 point with a 4" drop tine durring the early bow season. Soon as I hit him he fell and started convulsing, so I looked up and there were two big does looking at him and walking towards him and me. So me being the providor I notched another rage and dropped a doe at about 15 yards. Two whitetails in two minutes. It was a good day.

I would upload some pics but I don't have that permission yet. Guess I need a paid membership?

Oh and this was with my Z7

Nothing for me in '10, I wasn't able to get out hunting much because my daughter was born smack in the middle of hunting season. I did get a doe with the muzzleloader in '09 though. I'm hoping to get out more this year.

I shot 2 doe, they're in my freezer. I had NO luck during bow season. However, I did get 2 bobcats with my rifle while in my deer stand this year. They're at the taxidermist now :)

Wow that is awsom! Moos is on my bucket list. You have to tell about the hunt. Like what did u kill him with, did you stalk him for 10 miles (that's a long dam way) I would love to hear the story.

Oh Barnyard...never ask a hunter to tell the story...here are the cliff notes...
Way up in northern Maine, left turn on to dirt road, through paper company gate, 25 miles of dirt then left for a mile then watch for gated driveway...open the gate, close the gate, go 2.5 more miles to a log cabin we rented at the intersection of 2 rivers...PARADISE. Big country but lots of sign. Day one a.m. climbed up clear cut hillside to small cliff. Small bull about 300 yards away early. 2 hours later a cow and calf right below us (say 25 yards) with bull grunting in the woods nearby. Cow winded us and lead the calf back towards the bull. End of morning hunt. Afternoon unusually warm and sunny (near 60). Went to the next clear cut over. Set up a two man ground blind. Sweaty. So warm we had to talk to keep from napping. No action until about 45 minutes before dark then literally a blood-curdling scream...guides up here say they never heard anything like that...lower end of the field now has our complete attention. calf walks out followed by big cow. Same ones from a.m.? Seemed bigger even at 8x the distance (200+ yards). Eventually the bull comes to the edge of woods but won't come out. Squats and does #1. Cow finds it interesting and comes over. He lays down and rolls in it! She comes over. He gets up. She squats and does #1. They BOTH roll in it. Calf very nervous. The loving couple disappears. Brothers hunting together very dismayed. Moments later both re-appear...are they really smoking cigarettes??? Cow returns to calf. Brother decide "It's time". Hey, at least he died with a grin on his face...but STINKY. Story not over yet. It took 4 guys until daylight to move this thing 1,000 yards to the pick up. Absolutely the hunt of a lifetime! And the rest of the week to drink and fish!:mug:
Hey pd230soi...retiring soon? Would like to have a brewing friend near by.

Not for a couple of years. One more year and a bit here and then maybe four mor years in DC.

I should be there this summer for a few weeks. Not long enough. Might go tuna fishing or something.

Saw a huge drop-tine early bow and missed a big 8 late bow. Never saw either again or anything else worth shootin for that matter. I dd shoot a doe early bow as usual(Meat in the Freezer).My first year not shootin a buck in several. This is last years. Looking at him eases the pain. Cheers!

image-4057528280.jpg

Thanks for sharing Brewsday. I would love to have the chance to shoot a moos. It would be even better if the weather was the same as your hunt was. I'm not to fond the cold weather. 60 is about as cold as I like it to be I can handle 20's but I surely don't want to.

Kevin

Another view. The shooter was on the other side of this bog...about 150 yards. 11 hours later we were back at camp having carried out the 4 quarters, neck, head and bag of "burger meats, straps and loins...we were not smiling quite as much...next week we try again on my tag...took me 19 years to win the lottery!

P1000379.jpg

Yea, not the biggest but I've seen smaller bodies with better antlers. (had to edit that to replace the word "rack" so as not to start those comments). He was not a "short-bodied" youngster. Probably 2.5 years old. Net was 370 pounds of 100% boneless, super-lean, all-natural, deliciously mild meat...so we are happy. I would not have wanted to self-butcher anything bigger...let alone pack it out! 2 guys shouldering one hind quarter lashed to a pole struggled to stand up and walking up hill through 12" deep muck at times is hard work for us oldsters (all between 58 and 64 years old). All told it took about 100 labor hours to get him from the bog to the freezers.
We had decided the night before to take the first bull possible even if he showed up across the bog (which he did!) as warmer weather was coming and the rut had barely started (he did not stink at all but did come in to the call). It's always good to agree on stuff like that before the hunt.

A local butcher reported he had 4 groups go unsuccessful in that zone (you only have 6 days to hunt). That's pretty many for a zone that goes over 80% success rate. I doubt if that guy takes 20 reservations...probably more like 10 or 15. Nobody else at the camps we stayed at scored the first day and they all had guides (not sure if they "passed" on any though). All in all...a good hunt.

One last comment, although his left antler was deformed, even the biologists and their helpers commented that it was kind of cool...hooks around a little like a beef animal bull's horn.

Congrats to everyone on their harvest. Got the first pic last year nice 8 weighed 225 before dressing. My biggest ever still working on mounting him. The second a week ago not as nice but just as delicious. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416275314.321629.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1416275329.498932.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416275398.994867.jpg

Have to revive an old thread....

This was the first one that had anything to do with hunting that included pics

Had several pics of this guy on trail cam, most of them at night.

Figured that I would not see him again during daylight hours until the rut was on (and even then it may not be)

He made the mistake of walking out of the swamp 2 days ago following about 40 yds behind a doe.
32 yds (I know because I have ranged the tree next to where he was standing when I shot)

Getting a stud like this during bow season is the VERY reason that I get up and sit in the rain and cold for countless hours.

CDY_0003 (3).JPG

PICT0050 (2).jpg

PICT0053 (2).jpg

PICT0055 (2).jpg

20151020_132257.jpg

I've been keeping my eyes open for my fellow hunters on HBT...unfortunately I am bypassing deer season this year but only because my dad and I drew a once in a lifetime (or so we are told) hunt for elk in December. We have spent all of our time scouting for this hunt as we have never hunted this unit. Hopefully I will have some pictures in December. Hope others have had success in filling their freezers and feeding their families with some fantastic game so far this season!

Not sure if Ill make Gun season this year. I plan to be out during Muzzleloader and late bow though. Got me a few bucks the past few years that's racks didnt match their size since they were monsters! I dont care for the rack though.... Im all about the meat

Back