Anybody have any cool autographs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vmpolesov said:
I know who Hackworth was and what common task training is. What's the significance of the two of them together though?
He thought that the US Army's training program for soldiers sucked ass and their documentation was awful. He actually laughed when I presented it to him for signing.

I also have a copy of Quake 4 and Xmen Legends signed by the whole dev team. Also have a copy of the poster for Marvel Ultimate Alliance signed by everyone. I also have an authorgraphed Marvel Ultimate Alliance players guide. And I have several peices of original artwork by Arnie Swekel. http://www.pen-paper.net/rpgdb.php?op=showcreator&creatorid=12

Couple signed books. 1964 by Joe Haldeman. A couple of Terry Pratchett Novels (I got to hang out with him as Guest Services Liason at the Boston World Con where he was one of the guests of honor). David Weber (also got time to hang with him at a convention in Madison--- very interesting fella who really appreciates fans--- he even married one).

I'm sure there are more things around here. My SWMBO helps adminsitrate a couple different literary conventions and one of her friends is an editor at Tor books so I meet various authors, producers and tv/movie people through him.

I have a football signed by Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed, and Steve Tasker. I got them to sign it after a practice during training camp. Might not mean much to anyone else out there, but this was pretty huge to get in the 90s when I got them.

PseudoChef said:
I have a baseball autographed by the entire 1984 Baltimore Orioles.

Also a poster autographed by everyone from Dream Theater except James LaBrie. I doubt anyone here knows them.

I think that's about it.

I've been a DT fan for years, but you're right - not many people seme to know about them. It's a shame too, as they're quite possibly the most musically talented band I've ever heard. Portnoy and Petrucci just freaking amaze me.

I have a Linux license plate from the Compaq booth at the first Linux world and I have Linus Torvalds sig on it with "Happy Linuxing" on it.

I have Troy Aikman and Nolan Ryan, and a shirt signed by everyone from "Bowling for Soup" (I got to go back stage with them on a stretcher when I tore up my knee at the Warped Tour) and a small Texas flag signed by GW back when he was running for gov. But my SWMBO is most proud of her picture with Bobby Flay, and her hat signed by him and Robert Earl Keen

ohiobrewtus said:
I've been a DT fan for years, but you're right - not many people seme to know about them. It's a shame too, as they're quite possibly the most musically talented band I've ever heard. Portnoy and Petrucci just freaking amaze me.
Yeah, I'm a drummer (or was), so that's how I'm a fan.

My daughter just got back from a school trip to Rome.

Her hotel was right next to a public event…a new release of a huge block buster movie.

So the star of this movie sees my daughter and her friends and yells for them to come on over and he starts jawing, and talking and laughing with them.

He grabs the camera from my daughter and starts taking a bunch of these “self” portraits with my daughter and her friends. He spent 15-20 minutes just chatting with the girls about school, boyfriends, life in general.

Anyone recognize this sort of famous individual?

My daughter is second from the left.

ShannonsTrip.jpg

BierMuncher said:
My daughter just got back from a school trip to Rome.

Her hotel was right next to a public event…a new release of a huge block buster movie.

So the star of this movie sees my daughter and her friends and yells for them to come on over and he starts jawing, and talking and laughing with them.

He grabs the camera from my daughter and starts taking a bunch of these “self” portraits with my daughter and her friends. He spent 15-20 minutes just chatting with the girls about school, boyfriends, life in general.

Anyone recognize this sort of famous individual?

My daughter is second from the left.

View attachment 4088

Wow! Thats cool...

I've got a bunch of signed baseballs from when I was living in San Diego. Seemed like their was a card convention every weekend somewhere between San Diego and LA.

Ones I can think of on the top of my head are:
Frank Robinson
Harmon Killebrew
Jim Palmer
Ken Griffey Jr.
Bob Feller
Edgar Martinez
Jamie Moyer
Brooks Robinson

My prize autograph though is a Johnny Bench model "Powerized" Louisville Slugger that I had since I was a kid. Johnny Bench signed it for me about 16 years ago.

My brew partner at Naked City is also the great grandson of Hall of Famer Earl Averill and former Major Leage catcher Earl Averill Jr. so that's pretty cool if you're a baseball fan.

My FIL has a flag(signed) with a photo of the flag with the same signature at the top of K-2( the second highest mountain in the world)

Also when the magazine "Business 2.0" came out my FIL was listed as one of the 20 leading minds of the new economy.

a personal thank you letter from jimmy cater for a fly rod of mine that someone bought for him

ohiobrewtus said:
Barry Sanders on a full size Lions helmet, Barry sanders on an authentic jersey.

I have a ton of Detroit Lions autographs from back when they had training camp in Saginaw and I'd go up there every year.

My cousin and I used to go a lot. Sanders always had an 'agent' with him coming back from practice that would only allow him to sign a few autographs and then push him to the locker room. I got pissed once when he wouldn't sign my 3 y/o nephew's Ridell mini helmet, but the last one by was Scott Mitchell and he came back to sign the helmet. I had more respect for Mitchell after that.

Bulls Beers said:
A CD signed by Gene Simmons of Kiss. My son and I waited in line to meet him.

that would be so cool, Gene Simmons is the only KISS autograph I'm missing. I've met all the other memebers multiple times, never met Gene though

I have some pretty good autographs, all the members of KISS except for Gene Simmons, all the past and present members of Cannibal Corpse except for Chris Barnes, Mariah Carrey, Steve Morse of Kansas, a few miscellaneous sports people

oh and also I got a letter from George Bush with his autograph on it, a few years ago I wrote him a letter cause I was pist off about illegal immigrants and got a letter back from Crawford Ranch office in return

I have some autographed books too, and I have and autographed art-book from Roger Dean, and I have some original autographed artwork from Vincent Locke, including a sketch in pen made just for me

I've got a number of autographed books, mostly SF writers; the ones I actually got in person that I recall sitting here are Robert J. Sawyer, Mike Resnick, and Roger MacBride Allen; there were a couple of others I got in person and several books that came autographed (including Archie Manning). Also have a printout for a reading autographed from Sawyer from a reading he did on an unreleased book. Lessee, from many, many years ago we have (somewhere) autographs of the band America, Peter Frampton, and also from the man: Jerry Clower. My wife got these while working at a hotel restaurant. Jerry stood up in the restaurant and sang to her after he gave her the autograph. He isn't known (by those who even remember Clower) for his singing. :)

Oh, and John Palmer's book came with an autograph.

In honesty, though, these are all just stuck back somewhere (except Palmer's book, of course). The in-person SF autographs came while attending the one SF/Fantasy convention I attended. I carried some books with me and when I would see one of the authors at a coffee klatch or some such, I'd get an autograph. I was never willing to wait in line.

Rick

I have a Reggie Jackson autographed baseball card.
an autographed Ryne Sandberg poster
A baseball signed by Kirk Gibson
A baseball signed by Jack "the Ripper" Clark and Al Hrabosky
and just last night, SWMBO came back from some auction with a Mizzou football signed by entire 2007 squad :rockin: :rockin:

This probably won't mean much to the North Americans here, but on my wall I have a signed photo of Bert Trautmann. He was a German soccer goalkeeper who played in England right after WW2. His big claim to fame was when he played in goal during the FA Cup Final (for those who wish to be patronised, that's like the English Superbowl). During the game he was injured making a save, and unfortunately broke his neck. But because during the 1950s substitutions weren't allowed in soccer matches, he kept on playing, holding his head with one hand and making saves with the other. His side won the game.

They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Danek said:
They don't make 'em like that anymore.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Nobody's life was at stake so why in god's name would a person do something like that? Was there a brain on the end of that stem?

SWMBO has Oscar Peterson's scribble. Me, I got nothing.

Fingers said:
You say that like it's a bad thing. Nobody's life was at stake so why in god's name would a person do something like that? Was there a brain on the end of that stem?
:D The guy's alive and well and still going strong, so there was no permanent damage. I think so many people respect him for playing though the pain because of the way soccer has gone in recent times. There are now plenty of players who earn more in a week than guys like Trautmann got paid in their entire careers, yet who fall over like they've been shot any time someone tries to tackle them. Of course, the other thing with Trautmann was that during the war he was in the German air force. For him to come and play in England during the 1950s meant he got unbelievable abuse - but he kept playing, and gradually won people over. That takes some amount of character.

That said, I think everyone agrees that the rule change allowing teams to substitute players with broken necks is a big improvement. :)

A poster and 2 books from Henry Rollins (from his online store, so I could never verify authenticity)

CD by Art Alexakis, lead singer of Everclear (very nice guy)

DVD of Hedwig and the Angry Inch signed by John Cameron Mitchell (Hedwig) and Steven Trask (guitar player in the band)

A baseball signed by Al Leiter in his first run with the Yankees (he came to our Little League dinner)

An 86 Topps card by HoJo (that I lost)

My wife worked with a lady who gave her a promo pic of Godsmack signed.

1. Autographed book and picture of me with Stephen King (from waaaaay back in the day when he still did autographs; he was filming Maximum Overdrive down here in beautiful downtown Wilmywood).

2. Henry Rollins. He just happens to be amazingly awesome.

3. Neil Gaiman. I didn't get to meet him, though...a friend got my copy of 'Good Omens' autographed for me at a con.

4. Tom Savini. Again, didn't get to meet him...

5. Walter Koenig. We used to have an annual little bitty Star Trek con here. No more, though. It makes me sad.

I _think_ that's about it...

Back