Any saison yeast I can harvest that isn't Dupont?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorneuron

Reaction score
I was going to make a split batch of the same 6-gallon initial saison wort, and ferment 3 gallons of it with 3711 (the famous French saison yeast) and 3 gallons with 3724 (Dupont saison). Unfortunately, my LHBS was out of 3711. I'd still like to make a split batch, and it's still a few days before brew day, so I was thinking of trying to culture something from a bottle.

So does anyone know a good saison strain that I can harvest from a bottle? I know I could use Ommegang, for example, but I understand that they use one yeast for all their beers, and I'd like something saison-specific. And just to be clear, I already have Dupont, so that isn't an option either.

I already tried using the dregs from Saison Rue, which is supposed to have brett in there (and so I assumed would have at least live brett), but so far I haven't had much of anything in my starter.

I also saw from the Mad Fermentationist that Brasserie Thiriez is supposedly the source of 3711. But I don't think any of their beers are readily available at my best local brew source.

Thanks!

Back