any rule of thumb for gas line ID on a 3 gallon keg setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spatter

Reaction score
Just can't seem to fine what I need for a 3 gallon keg, I see there are several thicknesses and can't quite figure out why and what I would want. I want to use with carbonator lid as well.

The ID of the gas line does not matter much, but 1/4" and 5/16" are common. If you already have equipment or are purchasing equipment, check the size of the barbs. Most of mine is 1/4" ID tubing on 1/4" barbs, with a few 5/16" barbs. 5/16" tubing seems more "standard". The ideal might be 1/4" tubing on 5/16" barbs for a nice tight fit.

thank you, I guess 1/4 on Co2 and 5/16 on N2, based on the Brewrite regulators I have. but I was just curious if they vary per keg size as the ideal ID.
so im gonna order them like my regulators are.

The ID of the gas line does not matter much, but 1/4" and 5/16" are common. If you already have equipment or are purchasing equipment, check the size of the barbs. Most of mine is 1/4" ID tubing on 1/4" barbs, with a few 5/16" barbs. 5/16" tubing seems more "standard". The ideal might be 1/4" tubing on 5/16" barbs for a nice tight fit.

Don't forget you have to calculate line length as well. Too short of a serving line and you have foam city!
I guess I was specifically talking about gas line. instead of a liquid line it will be direct tapped for now.

That's 1/8" wall... ;)

I use 5/16" ID tubing for gas lines (on 5/16 barbs). Secured with Oetiker clamps for 100% leak free.
Sorry, ok yes that’s what I’m gonna do, as soon. As I find barb ball lock fittings with disconnects

Just can't seem to fine what I need for a 3 gallon keg, I see there are several thicknesses and can't quite figure out why and what I would want. I want to use with carbonator lid as well.
Is this a new system you’re setting up? If so, consider MFL disconnects, Duotight push to connect fittings and EVABarrier lines. Inside diameter and length is irrelevant on the gas side. The size of the keg doesn’t matter either.

Is this a new system you’re setting up? If so, consider MFL disconnects, Duotight push to connect fittings and EVABarrier lines. Inside diameter and length is irrelevant on the gas side. The size of the keg doesn’t matter either.
It’s a new setup, but the N2 regulator has 5/16 barb and co2 has 1/4 barb. Not sure why they’re different, they are Brewrite brand.

It’s a new setup, but the N2 regulator has 5/16 barb and co2 has 1/4 barb. Not sure why they’re different, they are Brewrite brand.
I don’t know what your budget is, but a few modifications in the beginning might allow more options down the road. You could replace the barbs with a shutoff like this, (you won’t need the barbed fittings)
393B0A98-9935-4099-82A2-0D7008AC1369.jpeg
or a plain 1/4” NPT X 1/4” MFL like this.
38967D82-7E12-45EE-8E31-CD8B6ABDB4A0.png
Just make sure you know if they are right or left hand threads… most likely right.

I guess they have the shut off w/barb and check valve. links below.
https://www.beveragecraft.com/primary-nitrogen-regulator-taprite/https://www.beveragecraft.com/primary-co2-regulator-taprite/

I don’t know what your budget is, but a few modifications in the beginning might allow more options down the road. You could replace the barbs with a shutoff like this, (you won’t need the barbed fittings)
View attachment 756468
or a plain 1/4” NPT X 1/4” MFL like this.
View attachment 756469
Just make sure you know if they are right or left hand threads… most likely right.

Whenever possible, I get regulators with MFL connections to the tubing. Makes it easier to remove them for different reasons. Such as when I'm carbonating and some beer flows back into the tubing. With MFL connections, you can simply disconnect the line, either clean it, or change it out, and then connect everything back. I've also purchased additional shutoff/check valves to retrofit regulators that came with barb connections. Always good to have a couple/few spares on hand too.

I don't know what "direct tapped" means. Do you mean mounting faucets directly on to the black QD with no hose at all? That really doesn't work well at all unless the facuets are flow control type.

I don't know what "direct tapped" means. Do you mean mounting faucets directly on to the black QD with no hose at all? That really doesn't work well at all unless the facuets are flow control type.
yes that's what I meant. show me which faucet I would need for good performance? it's only gonna be that way for the first few batches, figured I'll look for a tower and line later on.
just bought this. please say I did a good job, :)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373763169926

Back