Any Mixed Martial Arts fans here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
youngnick2.jpg

5763362_l.jpg

Liddell-wrestling.jpg

mirkoteenagerrt9.jpg

Wow, great night of fights overall. Chuck and Silva was intense, and GSP looked absolutely incredible tonight!

I did not get the chance to watch it. We don't have PPV capabilities anymore and a lot of the local sports bars were showing the Patriots game and/or the A&M game.

I'm glad GSP won, in a previous post somewhere I had that one nailed, although I was surprised it was from a submission instead of TKO. I wanted to see the Liddel and Silva fight but I guess I'll get the chance to see that one later.

Neomich said:
I did not get the chance to watch it. We don't have PPV capabilities anymore and a lot of the local sports bars were showing the Patriots game and/or the A&M game.

I'm glad GSP won, in a previous post somewhere I had that one nailed, although I was surprised it was from a submission instead of TKO. I wanted to see the Liddel and Silva fight but I guess I'll get the chance to see that one later.
Do you want some links to the fights?

Did anyone else actually think Brock stood a chance against Frank Mir last night? I think with enough time, Brock could be decent challenger but going up against someone like Mir on your first big fight just aint gonna work out to good for you.

People at the bar really thought he was going destroy Mir. Me, I called it pretty much like it went. I said it was going to finish fast and Mir was going to submit Brock.

Hopefully he keeps training, I'd like to see his wrestling in the octagon.

Neomich said:
Did anyone else actually think Brock stood a chance against Frank Mir last night? I think with enough time, Brock could be decent challenger but going up against someone like Mir on your first big fight just aint gonna work out to good for you.

People at the bar really thought he was going destroy Mir. Me, I called it pretty much like it went. I said it was going to finish fast and Mir was going to submit Brock.

The thing is...He was destroying Mir until his in Experience left him in a sticky Situation, I thought the 1 point deduction with no warning was cheap I have seen fighters do it 4 or 5 times in a fight and just keep getting warned.

Neomich said:

I wasn't sure what would happen, but I think Mir is a little lucky; he's also very slick with the submissions. Lesnar was pounding on him. A little more experience and I think Lesnar could be trouble for a lot of opponents. It was a tough first match for sure.

Yeah, I think he was lucky he didn't get KO'd before he was able to grab that leg.

I thought the Silvia/Nogueira fight was better. He really had to work to get Silvia in a place where he could do his thing.

Those fights show how valuable BJJ skills are, especially against the big bruisers.

Lil' Sparky said:
Yeah, I think he was lucky he didn't get KO'd before he was able to grab that leg.

I thought the Silvia/Nogueira fight was better. He really had to work to get Silvia in a place where he could do his thing.

Those fights show how valuable BJJ skills are, especially against the big bruisers.

I hate Sylvia for reasons I really Dont know but I was thinking about how much he was dominating and Was remembering all the times I have seen Noguiera on the verge of blacking out and he would always end up twisting someone up. It was a great night of fights.

Lil' Sparky said:

I've been training for about 5 years in bjj and have a wrestling and boxing background and I totally agree. Ground control is paramount.
I remember watching the first UFC back in 1993 right out of high school and being dumbfounded at how the little guy (Royce) won. I looked all over for a place to learn bjj but couldn't find one back then so I tried my hand at boxing for a few years (which I was not terribly good at). Finally, in my mid-late 20's I found a great bjj instructor and have never looked back.

mr x said:
It was a very good card. Looking forward to next month for sure.

You and me Both, Hendo is my fav fighter and This will be the fight of the year, I think Silva will win by decision though.

This EliteXC card looks awesome too

2/16/08 Showtime

- Tank Abbott vs. Kimbo Slice
- Ricco Rodriguez vs. Antonio Silva
- Yves Edwards vs. Edson Berto
- Dave Herman vs. Seth Petruzelli
- Kyle Noke vs. Scott Smith
- Brett Roges vs. James Thompson

Can't wait to see Ricco back in action.

fightguy said:
That fight was awful. Tank sucks so bad and Kimbo is going to get tooled against the first "real" opponent he has

Your right it was a joke. Id like to see Kimbo fight someone like Fedor So I can stop hearing about how great he is.

RICLARK said:
Your right it was a joke. Id like to see Kimbo fight someone like Fedor So I can stop hearing about how great he is.

He doesn't need to face Fedor to get schooled. Just a run-of-the-mill MMA guy should take him out easily. Kimbo is basically a sideshow. UFC should put him on their next Ultimate Fighter show. It would probably increase ratings and expose Kimbo for the joke he is.

rdwj said:
He doesn't need to face Fedor to get schooled. Just a run-of-the-mill MMA guy should take him out easily. Kimbo is basically a sideshow. UFC should put him on their next Ultimate Fighter show. It would probably increase ratings and expose Kimbo for the joke he is.

I disagree with any Run-of the-mill Fighter will beat him, HE does have some ground skill he's training with Bas Rutten. A lot of people were saying Brock Lesnar was a sideshow which was absurd. But if they want to test Kimbo's hands they should not put him up against a mid 40's Fat guy like Tank Abbot, They should give someone like Vitor Belfort who came out and Smashed Tank, when everyone was afraid of him. I mean **** They will probably have Kimbo fight Don Frye next and let him keep beating up the senior citizens of the sport.

fightguy said:
That fight was awful. Tank sucks so bad and Kimbo is going to get tooled against the first "real" opponent he has

And yet, it looks like he is going to go up against Shamrock next.
Oh, not the younger Shamrock, we're talking about Ken.

That should be a great fight.

Note: Sarcasm.

capcrnch said:
And yet, it looks like he is going to go up against Shamrock next.
Oh, not the younger Shamrock, we're talking about Ken.

That should be a great fight.

Note: Sarcasm.

Ya he keeps fighting all the MMA Retirement Home Fighters.

RICLARK said:
A lot of people were saying Brock Lesnar was a sideshow which was absurd.

But Brock was a world-class wrestler and that's a pretty solid base for MMA. Kimbo is nothing but an untrained street fighter with good hands. That's not going to get you far.

If you put him on Ultimate Fighter and were able to bet Kimbo or the field, I'd bet on the field.

RICLARK said:
I disagree with any Run-of the-mill Fighter will beat him, HE does have some ground skill he's training with Bas Rutten. A lot of people were saying Brock Lesnar was a sideshow which was absurd. But if they want to test Kimbo's hands they should not put him up against a mid 40's Fat guy like Tank Abbot, They should give someone like Vitor Belfort who came out and Smashed Tank, when everyone was afraid of him. I mean **** They will probably have Kimbo fight Don Frye next and let him keep beating up the senior citizens of the sport.
There is absolutely no evidence that he has any semblance of a ground game. And the comparison to Lesnar is absurd, because Brock actually had some legitimate wrestling credentials before venturing into MMA.

fightguy said:
There is absolutely no evidence that he has any semblance of a ground game. And the comparison to Lesnar is absurd, because Brock actually had some legitimate wrestling credentials before venturing into MMA.

Did I compare him to Lesnar? No, I like lesnar a lot and I simply said that people labeled him as a freakshow before they ever watched him. I never said kimbo was anything like him. However Kimbo has been working on his ground skills with bas rutten. And until he shows them it is not right to judge because you could be suprised. I dont like kimbo but I am not going to say he doesn't have a ground game until I see it.

I'm not saying that you compared the two, but the comparison by anyone is retarded.

I'm just saying that training with Bas does not indicate that he has any sort of ground game. After all, Bas was primarily a stand up fighter and with the short period of time that Kimbo has been training on the ground I highly doubt that he has acquired a skill set that would keep him competitive in MMA. I would think that until he shows them you can't really say that "HE does" have ground skills, because in all likelihood he doesn't. Time will tell, but my money is on him getting completely outclassed by virtually any B-/C+ level fighter

RICLARK said:
o came out and Smashed Tank, when everyone was afraid of him. I mean **** They will probably have Kimbo fight Don Frye next and let him keep beating up the senior citizens of the sport.
Oh, and Don Frye is fighting Oleg Taktarov on April 11th. That should be a war between two top athletes at the pinnacles of their game! ;)

fightguy said:
I'm not saying that you compared the two, but the comparison by anyone is retarded.

I'm just saying that training with Bas does not indicate that he has any sort of ground game. After all, Bas was primarily a stand up fighter and with the short period of time that Kimbo has been training on the ground I highly doubt that he has acquired a skill set that would keep him competitive in MMA. I would think that until he shows them you can't really say that "HE does" have ground skills, because in all likelihood he doesn't. Time will tell, but my money is on him getting completely outclassed by virtually any B-/C+ level fighter

I consider Heath Herring a C Class Fighter, What would the outcome be?

As you know, anything can happen in MMA but my money would be on Herring. Of course, he might come in and just try to bang with Kimbo and get KTFO but the all around edge would have to go to Heath

fightguy said:
As you know, anything can happen in MMA but my money would be on Herring. Of course, he might come in and just try to bang with Kimbo and get KTFO but the all around edge would have to go to Heath

Have you heard rumors of a fight in England on the Chuck and Shogun Card? Lesnar Vs. Vera!

Back