Any Mixed Martial Arts fans here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fightguy

Reaction score
I, for one, am getting really excited for the UFC this weekend. Edgar vs Fisher has fight of the night written all over it.

Anyone else here watch MMA?

I watch any of them when I find them on, we have a few locals that do ok in the competitions. :D

Oregon is AWESOME for MMA and beer. I'm from Eugene and we had events all the time locally. You're in a good spot if you want to train or just watch fights, my friend.

I wrestled for many years and love watching the techniques and styles that people bring to the ring.

I lived in Eugene for a few months while visiting my mother (who lived there). Yes Oregon is a great place to drink, you just want to be real careful who you pick a fight with.

By the way congrats on the job, I have been to the Full Sail and Deschutes breweries here and gone on the tours and the people geniunely seem to love what they are doing and the profit sharind doesn't hurt either. Worse case Alaska could be a great springboard to other breweries.

I'm a fan, but think I'm going to skip this one. Bisping v. Evans does nothing for me as a main event. Other than wanting to see how Herman does, Edgar v. Fisher is really the only stand out on the card.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Thiago Silva vs Houston Alexander goes down. It will be interesting to see if Alexander is the real deal

Chonan vs Karo should be a great fight too

A couple of the guys I train with compete in the TAMMA (Tx Amateur MMA) here in Texas. My knees and shoulder are too busted up to try but the training is good. I also take a traditional martial art and the MMA combines real well with this particular TMA. Shooting in for a double-leg, slamming them down and dropping an elbow with your full body weight is actually an acceptable self-defense application in my TMA! So are suplexes. Plus, we incorporate the ground game in the TMA and I've got a wrestling background that helps.

So yes, I'm a big MMA fan. Although for this fight, I'm really looking forward to the Karo Parisyan fight. He's got excellent Judo skills and knows how to execute them in the ring. Houston has some explosive power and he's managed to end his fights in an extremely short amount of time. I want to see how he does in the later rounds before I form an educated opinion of him.

BTW, please tell me you were watching the Couture vs Sylvia fight when it was on PPV? I had my instructor and a couple guys I train with watching that fight at my place and it has to be the BEST fight I've seen from the UFC.

I don't know - without a stellar main event, you need at LEAST 3 high-quality fights to get my $40. There isn't even a title bout.

I don't know - I may get bored and rent it, but this one doesn't excite me.

rdwj said:
I'm a fan, but think I'm going to skip this one. Bisping v. Evans does nothing for me as a main event. Other than wanting to see how Herman does, Edgar v. Fisher is really the only stand out on the card.

My feelings are very similar. Not sure we'll shell out the cash for this one, but who knows. SWMBO actually got me into MMA. Her and her brother both trained in Judo for a few years.

Neomich said:
A couple of the guys I train with compete in the TAMMA (Tx Amateur MMA) here in Texas. My knees and shoulder are too busted up to try but the training is good. I also take a traditional martial art and the MMA combines real well with this particular TMA. Shooting in for a double-leg, slamming them down and dropping an elbow with your full body weight is actually an acceptable self-defense application in my TMA! So are suplexes. Plus, we incorporate the ground game in the TMA and I've got a wrestling background that helps.

So yes, I'm a big MMA fan. Although for this fight, I'm really looking forward to the Karo Parisyan fight. He's got excellent Judo skills and knows how to execute them in the ring. Houston has some explosive power and he's managed to end his fights in an extremely short amount of time. I want to see how he does in the later rounds before I form an educated opinion of him.

BTW, please tell me you were watching the Couture vs Sylvia fight when it was on PPV? I had my instructor and a couple guys I train with watching that fight at my place and it has to be the BEST fight I've seen from the UFC.
That was a great fight, although it was mainly because Randy was not supposed to win it. The fight itself wasn't that great though, even though I am a huge Couture nuthugger

I get all of the PPVs though. I probably have around 300+ MMA dvds

I've gotten into it lately. I really get a kick out of watching how fast some of these guys can end a fight, whether it's a strike or submission. SWMBO thinks I'm a nut. I won't pay to watch a fight, though. If it's a good one, I'll eventually see it later. Good enough for me.

We're not buying this one. Lots of places around town show the UFC fights now and we'll just end up going there. The fight card as a whole isn't very tempting to me. But that doesn't mean the fights won't be entertaining, most of the time they are.

The upcoming Liddel vs Silva and Serra vs Hughes might be worth getting if they fill out the other bouts with some decent talent. UFC lately has been better about not putting one huge main event fight with a bunch of weak undercard bouts. At one point, it seemed they were doing that just to get the PPV$$ rolling in. I don't blame them, they're out to make money.

I really think Serra should have had to fight for his belt again already. I like the guy but I think he got special treatment on his recent belt win.

Anyone else think they should stop with this 'naming' of the weight classes? Middle-weight, Light-heavy-weight....... How about just using the max weight? 205.......170.....155......

Neomich said:
I really think Serra should have had to fight for his belt again already. I like the guy but I think he got special treatment on his recent belt win.

I think they wanted to hype his title defense agaist Hughes on TUF. I don't think Serra has a snowball's chance in hell of beating Hughes, but then again, I thought GSP would kill him too.

I actually bet on Serra winning the GSP fight. I only bet between friends and stuff but NOBODY bets against me any more. (Cro Cop was a bad choice, I admit)

I really think Serra's going to get creamed by Hughes. They hate each other enough to want to hurt the other one in the ring, not just win. I look for this to either be over very very quickly, or they'll keep punishing each other into the later rounds.

rdwj said:
I think they wanted to hype his title defense agaist Hughes on TUF. I don't think Serra has a snowball's chance in hell of beating Hughes, but then again, I thought GSP would kill him too.
Agreed, although while I don't think Serra/GSP was a fluke, I think GSP wins 9/10 times. Hughes is going to destroy Serra.

As for the December show with Chuck/Silva, it just became official that Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou will be facing unbeaten Lyoto Machida. Soko by KO! That card is shaping up to be among the greatest of all time

fightguy said:
Agreed, although while I don't think Serra/GSP was a fluke, I think GSP wins 9/10 times. Hughes is going to destroy Serra.

As for the December show with Chuck/Silva, it just became official that Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou will be facing unbeaten Lyoto Machida. Soko by KO! That card is shaping up to be among the greatest of all time

I think Serra had a good game against GSP. I also think GSP took him WAY to lightly and thought it would be an easy win. Same situation, I think Serra wins that fight every time. But, if there is a rematch, I expect GSP to be more prepared and he should win easily.

That December card does look awesome - it's stacked!

brett said:
Anybody heard of Chess Boxing?

http://site.wcbo.org/content/index_en.html

Sounds cool.
That's so...
gayanim.gif

I was out in Vegas, with my wife, in May to celebrate my 30th birthday (in June) and we saw the Lidell/Rampage card. I've been following UFC for a couple of years and its definitely a trip to see live. With this month's event being in Newark, I was going to go, but didn't want to spend the money (Vegas tix were a couple hundred a piece for middle tier seats). I became an Evans fan watch The Ultimate Fighter show and would've loved to see him against Tito. I never really cared much for Bisping, so it kind of sealed the deal for me not going...

I see nothing wrong with having multiple talents but to group them together to make them 'seem' smarter is just BS.

Besides, it's a proven fact that boxing is much more damaging to the brain than other sports. The amount of damage the brain takes from repetitive hits is a cumulative effect. It's actually easier to knock someone out that's taken a lot of hits like a veteran boxer than it is a new boxer.

Getting punched in the face 200 times in a boxing match isn't going to help you play chess any better. But hey, they have something called the bi-athlon in the winter olympics that combines cross-country skiing and precision shooting. To each their own I guess.

I would have described UFC type fighting as Chess Boxing, there is so much more going on and things that the competitors have to think about.

fightguy said:
I'm the one badass in this pic. LOL

1502103461_l.jpg

LOL, It's El Guapo! Bas is still the man. His 'self-defense' videos are hilarious. Did you ever see that clip of him rolling into some local MMA event in Houston with Marco Juas? He was half lit and this no-name guy named Yves Edwards was there fighting. He recognized Bas and said hi, next thing you know, Bas and Juas are his corner guys in the fight.

Bas's sister is pretty cool too. I just like how he was so cool about helping out an up and coming fighter like that. Yves now has his own impressive career.

Why not have basket weaving/MMA shows? I just think it's a pointless and silly concept. No respectable boxer is going to participate, nor is any decent chess player, so the titleholder becomes the undisputed champ of mediocrity

fightguy said:
Why not have basket weaving/MMA shows? I just think it's a pointless and silly concept. No respectable boxer is going to participate, nor is any decent chess player, so the titleholder becomes the undisputed champ of mediocrity

Fightguy, I don't think some of the fighters could weave a basket. Could you just picture Tank Abbot trying to weave a basket together? LOL!

Neomich said:
Fightguy, I don't think some of the fighters could weave a basket. Could you just picture Tank Abbot trying to weave a basket together? LOL!
No, but I'll bet Giant Silva weaves with the best of em!

Giant_Silva2_profile.JPG

There are some great pics there fightguy - but MAN, the Avatars are HUGE on that site.

One thing that I always find funny... Why is it that EVERY fighter feels the need to make a fist when posing for a picture?

rdwj said:
There are some great nice pics there fightguy - but MAN, the Avatars are HUGE on that site.

One thing that always find funny. Why is it that EVERY fighter feels the need to make a fist when posing for a picture?
Haha, we do have big avs over there, especially me. :)

I've often wondered the same thing about the fist, I suppose it just kind of comes naturally for them

Anyone else a little bummed that Serra is out for the next PPV? Ya, GSP is a nice replacement, but I REALLY wanted to see the Hughes / Serra brawl. Hopefully, Hughes pulls out a win and faces Serra to unify the belt.

rdwj said:
Anyone else a little bummed that Serra is out for the next PPV? Ya, GSP is a nice replacement, but I REALLY wanted to see the Hughes / Serra brawl. Hopefully, Hughes pulls out a win and faces Serra to unify the belt.

I really wanted to see that match as well. I was (still am, actually) a Matt Hughes fan, but Serra won me over last season with his screaming of "Hammah Fist Elbow!".

UFC is starting to get a little weird with the interim titles. The winner of Hughes/GSP will be the interim middleweight champ? Then there's the whole drug test controversy with Sherk and whoever he was supposed to fight (Penn?) is going to fight someone else for the interim lightweight. wtf. If you can't meet your contractual obligation of fighting due to injury (whether it's can't make the fight, or you have to defend your title at least once every so many days) shouldn't the title be stripped? If they're still in that "allowable" time period if thats what they do, then why are they going to make an interim champion, rather than a #1 contender? (Sounds so WWE, bleh).

I like Matt Serra as a person, he's pretty cool. But I absolutely disagree with how he's been given special treatment since winning his title. He should have had to fight a few times by now to keep that title and he's not going to fight until next year now. That's total BS! WTF is an interim title anyways? UFC has taken titles from fighters that have been injured, why is Serra any different? You have to fight to keep your title, plain and simple. You can't fight, you forfeit your belt. This is a win-win situation for Serra. Either he comes back to fight and loses and blames it on a back injury or his doctors tell him he can't fight again and he retires with a belt. I don't see him coming back from this injury and beating a top-tier competitor that's healthy. He's just not that good.

Now, I'm really looking forward to the Liddel/Silva fight. The Matt vs Matt fight was just a bonus to me but now that GSP is fighting, this is going to be a kick a$$ fight! And, they just opened a sports bar within stumbling distance from my house. I don't have to pay 50 bucks for PPV and I don't have to worry about driving anywhere to watch it. I could actually go home between fights and have some home brew but I'm too lazy to do that, hopefully they'll have some beer worth buying. If not, I can make up in quantity what they lack in quality. :rockin:

I kinda like the interim deal just because I hate to see a guy lose a title because of injury. UFC is basically saying, cool, you're hurt - we get that. But the winner of this fight is acting as champ and will be champ unless you get back quickly.

I'm getting the PPV at my house. All the Buffalo Wild Wings carry the fights, but I'd probably spend a similar amount of money there as I would for the PPV. Me and a couple of friends have been taking turns buying, so it's not too bad.

Is it just me or does watching UFC make you want to have a Mickey's Big Mouth? I'm hosting a party for the 29th and am seriously considering getting a 12 pack of Mickey's to go along with some of my HB.

I don't know how Mickey's is able to afford the marketing they do with UFC. We were at a Buffalo Wild Wings one night during a big PPV and sure enough, the Mickey's girls were there with their bath tub full of malt liquor they were hocking at 2 bucks a pop. People were actually buying it too!

We used to get the PPV's at the house due to how much we'd spend at a bar between food and beverages. We've recently turned in the cable boxes because we don't watch much TV and we lost the PPV capabilities. Before that, we'd get almost every PPV and have people over.

I'm okay with giving a fighter some time to recover from an injury, but Serra has had the belt WAY too long without fighting for it. I say take the belt, and when he's better, give him a shot at it. Make him fight to keep it, this sport is about fighting.

You guys should go register at Bloodyknux.com. We could benefit from having a few more knowledgeable posters when it comes to MMA and beer

Back