Any Mixed Martial Arts fans here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this UFC on March 1st looks awesome!

Main Card Bouts:
- Anderson Silva vs. Dan Henderson
- Cheick Kongo vs. Heath Herring
- Jon Fitch vs. Chris Wilson
- Diego Sanchez vs. David Bielkheden
- Yushin Okami vs. Evan Tanner

Preliminary Bouts:
- Andrei Arlovski vs. Jake O'Brien
- Josh Koscheck vs. Dustin Hazelett
- Luke Cummo vs. Luigi Fioravanti
- Jorge Gurgel vs. John Halverson

I'm so glad to see Tanner back. Henderson and Silva should be a war! I am still up in the air on who to choose in that one. It will be sweet to see Fitch roll over Chris Wilson too. I've never heard of Sanchez's opponent but I hope be destroys Diego

LOL @ Arlovski on the undercard! WTF?!?

fightguy said:
Vera is actually fighting Werdum and Lesnar's opponent hasn't been announced yet

I'd like to see Lesnar and Jardine. They'll probably spoon feed him an opponent next so he doesn't go 0-2, but I think that would be a nice style clash.

fightguy said:
So this UFC on March 1st looks awesome!

Main Card Bouts:
- Anderson Silva vs. Dan Henderson
- Cheick Kongo vs. Heath Herring
- Jon Fitch vs. Chris Wilson
- Diego Sanchez vs. David Bielkheden
- Yushin Okami vs. Evan Tanner

Preliminary Bouts:
- Andrei Arlovski vs. Jake O'Brien
- Josh Koscheck vs. Dustin Hazelett
- Luke Cummo vs. Luigi Fioravanti
- Jorge Gurgel vs. John Halverson

I'm so glad to see Tanner back. Henderson and SIlva should be a war! I am still up in the air on who to choose in that one. It will be sweet to see Fitch roll over Chris Wilson too. I've never heard of Sanchez's opponent but I hope be destroys Diego

Im stoked about Tanner coming back and that guy Diego is fighting is a Force!

rdwj said:
I'd like to see Lesnar and Jardine. They'll probably spoon feed him an opponent next so he doesn't go 0-2, but I think that would be a nice style clash.

I think Jardine is fighting Wanderlei Silva in may.

RICLARK said:
Oh alright, Should be a good fight.
All I know is that Vera had better look out for Werdum's "Slap of Death"!

Untitled.gif

RICLARK said:
Go to Youtube and type in his name his Highlight Real his phenomonal.
I watched it, but he hasn't really fought too much good competition. The only notable fighters he has faced are McCarthy, Ishida, and Sakurai (he lost to all but Chainsaw). Sanchez will definitely be one of, if not the toughest fight of his career. I really hope he steps up his game and destroys Sanchez though. I can't stand Diego

fightguy said:
I watched it, but he hasn't really fought too much good competition. The only notable fighters he has faced are McCarthy, Ishida, and Sakurai (he lost to all but Chainsaw). Sanchez will definitely be one of, if not the toughest fight of his career. I really hope he steps up his game and destroys Sanchez though. I can't stand Diego

You aren't the only one, I liked him on TUF but then I started hating him and thought he was highly overrated. How do you think Evan tanner do? Do you think it will take him a while to get his Game back?

Speaking of TUF, any idea when Mac Danzig fights again? I started off thinking he was a dick and, ....well, I still think he's a dick; but I like him

rdwj said:
Speaking of TUF, any idea when Mac Danzig fights again? I started off thinking he was a dick and, ....well, I still think he's a dick; but I like him

I love mac and loved him on the show, But to answer your question...he is fighting as the first fight on the main card at the Serra vs St.pierre fight in Canada.

RICLARK said:
You aren't the only one, I liked him on TUF but then I started hating him and thought he was highly overrated. How do you think Evan tanner do? Do you think it will take him a while to get his Game back?
Tanner always comes in prepared unless he is fighting Franklin :) I think he should be able to take Okami, but it should be a great fight nonetheless

WAR TANNER!!

l_6bc59b1279f829ab58b119d37518162a.jpg

fightguy said:
Tanner always comes in prepared unless he is fighting Franklin :) I think he should be able to take Okami, but it should be a great fight nonetheless

WAR TANNER!!

l_6bc59b1279f829ab58b119d37518162a.jpg

AMEN to that, He has always been in my top 3 Fav. fighters and the whole time he fought he trained himself and now that he is in a legit camp he will be better than ever and I think he will whipe the floor with Franklin if he fights him again. I can't stand Rich I think he is a little pretty boy.

I went to an show in Portland that was a charity event held for Josh Haynes' son who has (had?) a brain tumor (Josh was over 300lbs at the time). Leben fought in a kickboxing match there and Shannon Ritch vs Evan Tanner was the main event. Also on the card was a 6-man tag team submission match with Aaron Riley, Ivan Salaverry, Benji Radach, Ryan Pope, Anthony Hamlett, and some other dude whose name escapes me.

fightguy said:
I went to an show in Portland that was a charity event held for Josh Haynes' son who has (had?) a brain tumor (Josh was over 300lbs at the time). Leben fought in a kickboxing match there and Shannon Ritch vs Evan Tanner was the main event. Also on the card was a 6-man tag team submission match with Aaron Riley, Ivan Salaverry, Benji Radach, Ryan Pope, Anthony Hamlett, and some other dude whose name escapes me.

That would of been something to see, Id love to see evan fight, I was going to go to the Henderson vs Silva fight but I couldn't because we are planning our wedding. However I did go to the one that randy and silvia fought, it had to be one of the greatest experiences Of my life. You mentioned Salaverry....I have always thought he was one of the most underrated fighters out there.

Saturday Is the Big Night <---------Party at my house open Keezer:D

My picks

Changed my mind on this one, I cannot pick agains my Fav Fighter.

Hendo by TKO in 3rd Round
Herring by boring ass split decision over Kongo
Leben by KO in 3rd
War! TANNER by submission in 2nd
John Fitch by Unanimous Decision
Arlovski by Split Decision
Fioravanti by Unanimous Decision
Koscheck by TKO in 1st
Bielkheden by tko in 2nd

This will be a great night!

I don't know what I'm going to do - Vasquez vs. Marquez III is on the same night...if it's anything like the last brawl, it'll be awesome. Decision, decisions...

mr x said:
I don't know what I'm going to do - Vasquez vs. Marquez III is on the same night...if it's anything like the last brawl, it'll be awesome. Decision, decisions...

MMA up here.

BOXING WAY DOWN HERE! :D

From Matt Hughes Blog:

April 1st, 2008

First off, I wanted to wish Tommy good luck for his fight tomorrow night. He’s got some photos from when he was training at the gym posted on his website. So, if you haven’t seen those yet, you can check them out at tommyspeer.com.

Well, for a long time I’ve talked about going up in weight class and I’ve decided to finally do it. Only I’m not going up to 185, I’m going up to 205 to fight Mauricio “Shogun” Rua in June. I’m bulking up now and packing on muscle and I’m thinking that it will be nice to not have to cut weight for a change. I think it’s a great match-up for me and I’ve told Dana that if I win this, then I want a shot at the 205 title next.

Sorry for the short blog this week, I’m here in Colorado helping Tommy get ready for his fight, so I’ll try to have more for you all next week. I just wanted to break the big news. -matt

Is this an April Fool or real? If it is Real I can't Wait for that. I see it more as a fool because Shogun is hurt and last I heard he couldn't fight until september.

Alright, so who is everyone picking in the Serra vs GSP fight this weekend? Personally, I think GSP is going to destroy Serra. Serra's coming off an injury and GSP has revenge on his mind. Picked Serra during the last fight but I think this time, GSP is going to be at the top of his game.

Wonder what the odds are on GSP going for a spinning backfist for a knockout? LOL :cross:

Neomich said:
Alright, so who is everyone picking in the Serra vs GSP fight this weekend? Personally, I think GSP is going to destroy Serra. Serra's coming off an injury and GSP has revenge on his mind. Picked Serra during the last fight but I think this time, GSP is going to be at the top of his game.

Wonder what the odds are on GSP going for a spinning backfist for a knockout? LOL :cross:

GSP easy. He totally underestimated Serra last time and thought he's walk right through him. That didn't happen. I expect this fight to be very one-sided and should end in the first round.

GSP's BJJ isn't recognized as Black Belt level, but belts are given for Gi Jiu-Jitsu, so NO-Gi in MMA can level the playing field a bit. GSP is the superior athlete, and I really think he underestimated Serra last time. GSP was intimidated to fight his idol, Matt Hughes once, then learned from the fight and DESTROYED him twice. He will learn from the first fight and this wouldn't be competitive if not for Matt having more heart than most. GSP in the 2nd

I want Gsp to win but Serra is not a push over and he will come to fight. Gi or no Gi his Jiu Jitsu is on another level then GSP's.

Its going to be close man, I am leaning towards Rampage though.

As for the undercards I dunno, Im just hoping to see Melvin Guillard get his ass handed to him. I doubt it will happen but I cant stand that guy!

edit-
I didnt see anything about the ultimate fighter finale here. Can you believe the ****** factor on that Jesse Taylor fellow?

As for the undercards I dunno, Im just hoping to see Melvin Guillard get his ass handed to him. I doubt it will happen but I cant stand that guy!

edit-
I didnt see anything about the ultimate fighter finale here. Can you believe the ****** factor on that Jesse Taylor fellow?

Count me as a fan! I like both fighters but am also leaning towards Rampage - It should be a great fight!

+1 on the Melvin comment

edit-

I dont even know about that guy. that was just dumb.... Im thinking Rampage by KO but I can also see Forrest by Rear naked Choke. I also think Almeida will submit Cote.

I'm not sure. I've visiting SWMBO in Fort Worth and I'm not sure where they might be showing it. Plus, SWMBO just had her galbladder removed and I'm sure she won't be able to leave the house. Normally I just go do my own thing but when she's recovering from a surgery, I'll feel a bit guilty if I leave her at home.

I hope the Rampage and Forrest fight goes the distance with some great MMA action, but I think Rampage is going to destroy Forrest.

Let me know how it goes, I could care less about spoilers.

I like Forest, but Rampage wins EASILY! I foresee a completely dominant win for Rampage tomorrow. Can't wait to see it - great card.

And who is JACKED about Fedor and Silvia in a couple weeks? I'm going to take the upset in that one - Silvia hands the overrated Fedor his first loss.

I like Forest, but Rampage wins EASILY! I foresee a completely dominant win for Rampage tomorrow. Can't wait to see it - great card.

And who is JACKED about Fedor and Silvia in a couple weeks? I'm going to take the upset in that one - Silvia hands the overrated Fedor his first loss.

Fedor is far from overrated, I think he destroys silvia.

Fedor is far from overrated, I think he destroys silvia.

I disagree. He WAS the greatest MMA fighter the world has even seen. Recently, he's been much more interested in protecting his legend than testing himself. He hasn't fought anyone really high quality in a long time. That's why I think Silvia has a good chance to win. I still think it's an upset prediction, but not as much of one as most fans seem to think.

Huh, I am the first to post.

I thought it was a great fight. I thought Rampage had the upper hand because he is a power house and can take some serious punishment. Very unlikely that Forrest was going to submit him. Forrest formulated a great game plan and stuck to it. He was aggressive enough to rattle Jackson's cage and kept him from raining down punches. Working the knee was great Forrest would no have one with out that. Forrest did what he had to do to win by decision because he wasnt going to win any other way. Bookoo Kudos.

We had some guy just start raging about how Jackson was robbed cause he stunned Forest in the second round and forrest never answered. Made for an interesting conversation.... He apparently still thinks Im an idiot ;)

Edit-
Oh and Melvin wins in a his typical flash and flurry mannor, uhg.

Back