Any Lallemand Philly Sour feedback or experience to share?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Thrashos

Reaction score
So I took a reading and at day 8 (after a couple days with no visible activity) I'm at 1015 (OG was 1038), about 60% attenuation which is low but not unheard of, and I'm guessing it still has a little way to go, even if not sure if it will reach target gravity.

Planning on racking on fruits today (saw a bunch of people say 8 days was a good place to start).

Smell is a little yeasty on the samples I took, but loads of red apple notes and it tastes fine. Also, when I split the batch in two, I shaked one of the fermenter less than the other in order to see how it would turn out, and indeed, the one I oxygenated most is right where I wanted it to be pH-wise: 3,25 , while the other sample is only at 3,5 (same density).

Last edited:

crusader1612

Reaction score
So I took a reading and at day 8 (after a couple days with no visible activity) I'm at 1015 (OG was 1038), about 60% attenuation which is low but not unheard of, and I'm guessing it still has a little way to go, even if not sure if it will reach target gravity.

Planning on racking on fruits today (saw a bunch of people say 8 days was a good place to start).

Smell is a little yeasty on the samples I took, but loads of red apple notes and it tastes fine. Also, when I split the batch in two, I shaked one of the fermenter less than the other in order to see how it would turn out, and indeed, the one I oxygenated most is right where I wanted it to be pH-wise: 3,25 , while the other sample is only at 3,5 (same density).
I gave mine 2-3 weeks before racking across. I suspect it can keep going after poerceived finish.

I went from 1056-1011 pre fruit which is racked to asfter 3 weeks. then after 10 more days on fruit i ended up at 1008, with plenty of roasted andcrystal malts.

Lacasse93

Reaction score
Ive used this now a few times and the only thing I can say is the longer you can leave it in the fermenter the better. Let it sit on fruit for weeks and it will only benefit you. There has been times where it really only tastes "right" to me after about a month bottle conditioning (after 2 weeks fermenting).

Frieds

Reaction score
Put down my first brew on Friday using this yeast. The only knowledge I have of it is what I’ve picked up reading this thread.

I pitched 1 packet into 1.080 wort and left it for two days. Activity had only just started and the pH was down to 3.6. I had a taste and the sourness so far was really nice.

I then pitched my starter of LA3. 4 days in now and it’s bubbling away very well. The pH is still 3.6 so it’s seems that the Philly Sour has done its job and now the LA3 is doing the rest of the work.

I’m gonna add a boatload of raspberry to it post fermentation. I want to brew something along the lines of Mega Tastee by the Veil.