Any L.A. brewers having water changes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotwatermusic

Reaction score
Here in California there has been an anomaly known throughout the rest of the world as rain. My water has been pretty consistent over the last few years, but lately I'm missing my pH high, and by no small amount. You would assume a deluge and a healthy amount of snow melt would lend itself to softer water and reduced alkalinity. I'm waiting to order a report to see if this phenomenon is temporary from lime stone being washed from flood channels etc. That have stood dry. Anyone else have a similar experience or a better explanation?

I'm in L.A., but brew with 100% with RO since I always feared water quality would change depending on where LADWP is drawing from. FWIW, I do occasionally check my tap water with a TDS meter out of curiosity, and it always seems to hover in the 530 range...

Think our local water co dumps extra chemicals in the supply when it rains

Otherwise our water isn't too bad for brewing, but I use RO anyway, for better control & consistency

Back