Any issues using a stout yeast to make a porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galacticbrewing12

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was considering using some of my harvested Irish Dry Sout yeast for a small batch of a porter. I was wondering what effect this might have on my beer if any? My thoughts are that since they are similar styles it shouldn't make a huge difference.

You are right on. It would take someone with a well trained pallet to detect that difference... Now if you used that Belgium wit beer yeast ... That's another story.

Well I did my starter on Saturday and it went to town within 2 hours.

Today, I was able to brew the porter and the stout yeast went to work within about 5 hours. It is bubbling strong and will check back in a week, while monitoring the bubbling on a daily basis. We'll see how it turns out.

galacticbrewing12 said:
I was considering using some of my harvested Irish Dry Sout yeast for a small batch of a porter. I was wondering what effect this might have on my beer if any? My thoughts are that since they are similar styles it shouldn't make a huge difference.

Guinness is extra stout porter... a phrase that gave rise to the whole class of beer called "stout".

Back