Any good Breweries/Pubs in the Seattle/Tacoma area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier

Reaction score
I am visiting with some friends and customers in the Seattle / Tacoma area and I am looking for some suggestions for dining and great ales. I may take up a tour of a hop farm if anyone has suggestions. Thanks in advance.
-C

Unfortunately, all the hops have pretty much been harvested right now :(

There are quite a few breweries and brewpubs in the Seattle area. I haven't been to many, but two I would definitely suggest are:

Issaquah Brewery - an allied brewery of Rogue Ales
Rogue Ales

Elysian Brewing Company
Many locations in Seattle, I've been to the one near the stadium

I could make the opening on the 22nd. I leave on the 23rd. Is there anywhere I can get hops a bit cheaper since they are localy grown?

By all means hit the grand opening of Naked City. Talk about being in the right place at the right time.

I doubt you'll find hops cheaper in the area, but what do I know.

You won't find great deals on hops here. You might save $1 on a 2oz pack depending on which LHBS you hit up. If you do have a few days here and access to a computer check Craigslist for homegrown hops. There are usually 1-2 ads listed everyday.

In addition to Naked City, of course...

Gotta hit the Big Time on the "Ave" in the U-District (University Way between 41st and 42nd). Still pulls in the awards at GABF. Good phriqqin' beer. Great food (or at least it was when I went to UW). And the old-school shuffleboard in the back is a ton of fun.

The Big Time has been around for a while: they claim to be the first brewpub in Seattle, don't know if that's really true.

If it weren't for Bhagwan's Best, I could've graduated two quarters earlier, I'm sure ;)

Wow! really outstanding responses. Thanks very much. As far as what I am in to... SWMBO and I are amateur foodies so I have an adventurous pallet. I am definitely a seafood kinda guy, leaning more toward the shellfish and bivalves. Thanks again, and any further suggestions are very welcome. Now I just need to figure out what I am doing Monday and Tuesday... I guess there are worse problems =)

Hate to sound like a yuppie [I'm not, I am quite poor], but my favorite place to drink in all of Seattle was The Taphouse in Bellevue.

Tap House Grill - Beer

It was like being a kid in a candy store...sort of.

BEERS
160 BEERS ON TAP

AMERICAN LAGERS
BUD LIGHT
SAM ADAMS BOSTON LAGER

ALES
ALASKAN AMBER
ANCHOR STEAM
ANDERSON VALLEY “BOONT”
BOULDER HAZED AND INFUSED
BOUNDARY BAY DRY-HOPPED AMBER
FISH TALE ORGANIC AMBER
FULL SAIL AMBER
GEORGETOWN CHOPPER RED ALE
HAIR OF THE DOG FRED
HOOD CANAL AGATE PASS AMBER
MAC & JACK’S AFRICAN AMBER
MACTARNAHAN’S AMBER
MENDOCINO EYE OF THE HAWK
NEW BELGIUM FAT TIRE
ROGUE ST. ROGUE RED
ROGUE DEAD GUY ALE
TAP HOUSE UBER FROG
STONE BREWERY ARROGANT BASTARD

BELGIANS/BELGIAN STYLES
CORSENDONK PALE*
HOEGAARDEN WHITE BEER*
LINDEMANS FRAMBOISE*
NEW BELGIUM 1554*
NORTH COAST BROTHER THELONIOUS*
NORTH COAST PRANQSTER*
UNIBROUE BLANCHE DE CHAMBLY*
UNIBROUE MAUDITE*
BITTERS
ELYSIAN “THE WISE” ESB
FULLER’S ESB
REDHOOK ESB
ROGUE BRUTAL BITTER

BLONDES
HALE’S DRAWBRIDGE BLONDE
REDHOOK BLONDE
SCUTTLEBUTT BLONDE
BOCKS
AYINGER CELEBRATOR DOPPLEBOCK
SHINER BOCK
SPATEN “HELLES” BOCK
SPATEN OPTIMATOR
WEIHENSTEPHANER KORBINIAN

BROWN ALES
BIG SKY MOOSE DROOL ALE
IRON HORSE BRASS ASS BROWN
NEWCASTLE BROWN ALE
ROGUE HAZELNUT BROWN NECTAR
COYOTE MOON BROWN

FRUITS/CIDERS
LANG CREEK MANDARIN HEFEWEIZEN
PYRAMID APRICOT ALE
WOODCHUCK GRANNY SMITH CIDER
WYDERS PEAR CIDER

INDIA PALE ALES
ANDERSON VALLEY HOP OTTIN’ IPA
BEAR REPUBLIC HOP ROD RYE
BOUNDARY BAY IPA
DIAMOND KNOT INDUSTRIAL IPA
DOGFISH HEAD 90 MIN IPA
ELYSIAN “THE IMMORTAL” IPA
HALES MONGOOSE IPA
LAGUNITAS IPA
PIKE IPA
SKAGIT RIVER SKULLERS IPA
SNOQUALMIE FALLS WILDCAT IPA
STONE RUINATION IPA

LAGERS

BOTTOM FERMENTED,CRISP FLAVOR
AMSTEL LIGHT
BARON SCHWARZBIER
BECKS
BIRRA MORETTI
CARLSBERG
DOS EQUIS SPECIAL LAGER
FOSTERS
GROSLCH
HARP
HB HOFBRAUHAUS ORIGINAL
HEINEKEN
KINGFISHER INDIAN LAGER
KIRIN ICHIBAN
KRONENBOURG 1664
O.K. BEER
SLEEMAN HONEY BROWN LAGER
SPATEN LAGER
STELLA ARTOIS

PALE ALES
ALASKAN PALE ALE
BASS ALE
BIG SKY SCAPE GOAT ALE
BODDINGTONS PUB ALE
DESCHUTES MIRROR POND PALE ALE
FULL SAIL PALE ALE
GEORGETOWN MANNYS PALE ALE
HALE’S CREAM ALE
KONA FIRE ROCK PALE ALE
SIERRA NEVADA PALE
SNOQUALMIE COPPERHEAD
TETLEY’S ALE (N)
PILSNERS

MODERATE HOPS, GOLDEN COLOR
AKTIEN JUBILAUMS PILSNER
BARON PILSNER
GEORGETOWN ROGER’S PILSNER
KRUSOVICE IMPERIAL
MARITIME PORTAGE BAY PILSNER
NORTH COAST SCRIMSHAW PILSNER
PILSNER URQUELL
WARSTEINER PILSNER

PORTERS
DESCHUTES BLACK BUTTE PORTER
FISH TALE MUDSHARK PORTER
MAC & JACK’S BLACKCAT PORTER
OKOCIM PORTER
ROGUE MOCHA PORTER
SNOQUALMIE STEAM TRAIN PORTER
STONE SMOKED PORTER
SCOTTISH ALES
BOUNDARY BAY SCOTCH
PIKE KILT LIFTER SCOTTISH STYLE

STOUTS
ALASKAN OATMEAL STOUT
ANDERSON VALLEY BARNEY FLATS OATMEAL
DESCHUTES OBSDIAN STOUT
ELYSIAN DRAGONS TOOTH STOUT
GREAT DIVIDE OAK AGED IMPERIAL
GUINNESS STOUT (N)
MURPHY’S IRISH STOUT (N)
NORTH COAST OLD RASPUTIN IMPERIAL (N)
ROGUE SHAKESPERE STOUT (N)
YOUNG’S DOUBLE CHOCOLATE STOUT (N)

WHEATS/WEIZENS
AYINGER BRAU-WEISSE
BLUE MOON BELGIAN
FRANZISKANER WEISSBIER
HACKER- PSCHORR
LAZY BOY HEFE
LEAVENWORTH BLIND PIG DUNKEL
LEAVENWORTH WHISTLING PIG HEFE
MARITIME CLIPPER GOLD HEFE
PYRAMID HEFE
WIDMER HEFE

There is also a Taphouse in downtown Seattle.
If you can catch Brewtopia on an off day, try to get a private tour of his Condo (I officially nickname this The Naked City Sky Lounge). Hit up Elysian Brewery, Pyramid, and Collins Pub too. But if you are in the area on the 22nd you better not miss Naked City.

There is always Mac and Jacks in Redmond. It might be a bit out of the way, depending on where you are staying. If you have never had it, at least find a place to try a pint or 4 of their African Amber.

--John

Maritime Pacific, Hale's Ales, and Brouwers Cafe.... all within like 1.5 miles of each other in Fremont and Ballard.

Austin

Maritime Pacific, Hale's Ales, and Brouwers Cafe.... all within like 1.5 miles of each other in Fremont and Ballard.

Austin

You don't really need to go south of Lake Union/Portage Bay.

Start at the Big Time in the District, head to Fremont, up Phinney Ridge, over to Ballard.....

But if you're into seafood/shellfish/bivalves....make sure you try some geoduck! (pron. "gooeyduck")

I wish I would have seen this earlier. Definitely check out Uber and Duck Island which are within a block of each other, just on the northwest side of Greenlake. Brouwer's Cafe in Fremont has a great atmosphere and a huge selection of taps and bottles. Beveridge Place Pub over in West Seattle is a pretty unique spot with quality beers on tap. Collins Pub down by Pioneer Square and The Stumbling Monk on Capitol Hill are both good places as well. All these places have exceptional beers on tap and some have even better bottle selections.

As for Tacoma, the Parkway is hands-down the best beer bar. The Harmon is a great little brewpub. I live just south of Tacoma so if you're going out tomorrow night, let me know. I'll be at the Naked City release on Wednesday night.

I forgot to mention that Jake's in Steilacoom is another great place for beer. Jake is very knowledgeable and always has a great tap list. Occasionally he'll have something special on that's not on the menu so sit at the bar and be friendly to the other patrons and bartenders and you might get rewarded. I had the Abyss there a couple weeks ago.

Back