any 1911 enthusiasts out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2BeerSpeer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just checking this forum to see if anyone else here enjoys to shoot the 1911's? If so feel free to post pics of yours. I have met several fellow homebrewers on various 1911 forums and thought I'd do the same here. Here is my Talo edition Colt New Agent...my first handgun!

ForumRunner_20130531_074920.jpg

ForumRunner_20130531_075101.png

I bought a Ruger SR1911, after a long search. I've always loved Ruger, so when they came out with a 1911, I figured that would be my first of the type. I love it, now I'm looking for the Commander version.

I have always liked the style although I have never even held one.
I would want a full sized one, not the stubby in the pictures.

SIG 1911 SS 45 ACP (Full Size). Reliable and purdy at the same time. ;)

If you got one you got a deal from what I hear. I heard thy they are gonna kick the price way up soon because the gun was more expensive to make than anticipated and they were not making money off it. High quality gun that they way underpriced.

My next will be the full size, hopefully a govt issue colt like my grandpa carried in service. The stubby is my concealed carry .45

Jesus H, a concealed carry .45. Would not want to get cross ways with you. My home defense gun is a 12 gauge coach gun, but there is something about .45s and firing off a few hollow points the size of toilet bowls that is appealing.

Saving for a Springfield full size operator... When i get back to the states this winter I will be purchasing. Before that I had a para ordnance P12 limited.

Jesus H, a concealed carry .45. Would not want to get cross ways with you. My home defense gun is a 12 gauge coach gun, but there is something about .45s and firing off a few hollow points the size of toilet bowls that is appealing.

45 is the only way to carry! I used to carry a 1911, but switched to a Springfield XDM 45 for the higher capacity. I don't feel the need to have an extra mag all the time anymore, just in the car.

After long-ago experience with a gold cup 1911 that kicked like a mule, and did not dependably feed semi wadcutters (perhaps due to it's tighter target oriented tolerances?) I don't see why folks wouldn't take advantage of newer plastic 40cal.

Or if it is for urban home defense or whatever, cut the chance for collateral damage and lawsuits with even a humble 9mm, 380, or .410 buckshot pistol. The last two I would have never considered except for a recent program with detailed examination of ballistics and debunking their bad reputations.

The 9mm seems so arbitrary... it was the max size that the luger designer could bore out his barrel when told his bore size wasn't enough. But it's popular cartridges have so many variations. Aforesaid program found some super effective variety, one of those with plastic filled hollowpoint. Our police dept uses wimpy depowered ones, which saves a lot of lawsuits. I don't know if you can get a certain russian police version which has a body armor piercing core and a beyond the limits brass size and powder charge.

Especially on a lot of the new 1911's the feed issues with other than ball ammo has been solved by slight changes to the feed ramp. My old kimber would feed anything I fed it including my dishpan frangible rounds that caught on the feed ramp of most older 1911's.

Let's see it...I almost bought a nightmare last week. The sigs feel nice.

Great gun. As long as I don't try to pump the cheap Russian walmart ammo through it, she'll cycle every time. Anything with a brass casing just flies through it with no problems.

sig.jpg

I am currently sans 1911 but won't be for long.

Have owned 4

2 Colts and 2 Kimbers. One of Colts was an early 70 Series in 38 Super. NEVER should have sold it.

IME - I'll take the Colts over the Kimbers every day. My next 1911 will probably be a Caspian I build myself.

I bought a Para Ordinance GI Expert last year. Para has the absolute best Straight-from-the-factory trigger. Huge selling point for me.

And these Hogue grips are the best $18 I've ever spent.

image-512085820.jpg

I've got those same Hogue grips on mine - they're fantastic. Great for managing recoil! I also dropped in a Videcki trigger, so the pull is smooth as butter.

After long-ago experience with a gold cup 1911 that kicked like a mule, and did not dependably feed semi wadcutters (perhaps due to it's tighter target oriented tolerances?) I don't see why folks wouldn't take advantage of newer plastic 40cal.
I completely disagree with the sentiment here. While I can't explain your negative 1911 experience, the issues won't be fixed by going to a S&W .40. Both of my .40's are MUCH harder to handle than my Colt 1911 Gov't. Even the all steel Beretta 8040 has a lot more muzzle flip than the 1911. Though I do enjoy shooting the Springfield XDm 40, I find that I am much more controlled and accurate with the 1911, and because it has some mass to counteract the recoil, I can level the 1911 faster for follow-up shots. The .40 was supposed to be a compromise between .45 knockdown power and 9mm handling, but I find it a pretty wicked cartridge to handle.

Back on topic, I'll post a pic or two of my 100th anniversary Colt later.

I currently have 3 1911s...

Remington Rand GI Issue 1943 WW2 Production "US Government Property" (my first handgun, purchased in 1986)
Colt Commander Series 80 SST
Sig Sauer Full-Size Nitron

If you're not too particular on brand and have a Cabelas near you, you can get a decent (according to reviews) off-brand new 1911 for about $600 + tax and transfer fees. Remington R1s start a little higher. You may be able to find a new or used Colt, Kimber, S&W, or Sig Sauer in the $800-900 range. I picked up my SST Colt Commander for $825 from a private party last summer.

Cabelas Citadel 1911

Citadel is a solid weapon. Buddy has one and its every but as good as any I've had.

I'd like to snag a Rock Island and customize the crap out of it. Perfect price for a project gun.

A Rock Island Officer was my first handgun. I polished the barrel and changed the trigger, put new grips on, installed trijicon sights, and relpaced the internals. I loved that little gun. I'm still mad at myself for selling it.

Franklin-20110301-00138.jpg

I just got done looking at the RIA 2011 full rail. I was looking very shortly for a Springfield full rail operator, but that pistol is not an off the shelf item anymore, custom only. Otherwise known as $$$$ only. I had my heart set on a Springfield full size MC Operator, but my cousin talked me into a full rail pistol.

Love the 1911! First pistol I ever bought, and one of two carry pistols for me (the other is a Kahr PM9, for those times when a 1911 is just too big).

Springfield GI.45 1911A1
DSCN3689.JPG

As for the question of why not plastic? It's a feeling thing for me. The Savage 1907 is the only double stack pistol that feels good in my hand, and that's probably because it was chambered in .32 ACP. A typical .40 S&W is too fat, and usually built in such a way that I dislike the position of my wrist or hand. Browning was really onto something special with his frame design; the 1903, 1908, and 1911 all point the same, at least for me. Very natural.

I picked up a GI Issue a few years back from a neighbor, his dad was a marine, and carried it to Iwo, and Okinawa. I also scored the M1 carbine that his dad brought back.

Back