Terminal Strip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WCWMatt

Reaction score
Good afternoon, it's been several years since I've posted here, but getting reacquainted with the site and forums.
Over my past few brews, I was loosing power in my panel mid way through a brew. I'd have to shut the panel off, turn it back on. Sometimes that worked, others not and I'd have to wait. At first I thought it was an overheating problem, but that was not it. Eventually while the panel was unplugged, I checked fittings and found that if I tightened the terminal screws (and they were tight to begin with), it solved the problem. I recently moved across the country and had my first brew in quite some time and had the same problem. I unplugged, tightened and was immediately back up and running with no issues for the rest of the brew day.

Is the solution as simple as replacing the terminal strip? Anyone else ever have this problem? When I replace is there a higher quality terminal strip that I should look into? Suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, love the panel and all the brews it has produced.

Matt

Attachments

• PXL_20230430_160526418.jpg
    PXL_20230430_160526418.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230430_160430806.jpg
    PXL_20230430_160430806.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Before replacing anything I would remove all of the connections from the terminal block and brighten them and the block with emery cloth or equivalent. If the conductivity issue is that bad it's likely there'll be deposits from arcing that when removed should restored integrity to the distribution.

And while you're at it, give each of those crimped terminations a solid "pull test" and replace any terminations that aren't solid...

Cheers!

There's no obvious reason why the terminal strips would be a the culprit. I would go over the entire controller and tighten everything. Pull any push-on terminals and check for carbon buildup from arcing. Intermittent power that fixes on a "reboot" suggests a weak contactor coil to me, or possibly dirty/warn conctactor contacts. The way to troubleshoot is to wait for it to go dead and then start testing voltage from the line input and start fanning outward until you don't find voltage anymore.

Excellent advice. I have checked all the connections and they are solid. No obvious arcing scars or deposits, but I'll try cleaning those connections anyway and replacing the terminal block while I am at it. I'll be ready at next brew with the voltage test if it happens again. Appreciate the recommendations.

To add to it, the phenomena of a power cycle getting it working again strongly suggests it's one of the contactors because it's literally the only thing that physically moves when you perform that power cycle.

Back