Anvil Foundry Mash with lid off or on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking forward in to 2022 I want to make the step to all grain and start adjusting my recipes from extract to all grain.

I’ve been doing some research and I think I landed on the Anvil Foundry 10.5. My reasoning is I currently rent and Im looking to buy a house in (hopefully) the near future. The anvils ability to swap between 120v and 220v makes it, in my eyes, the best choice. I don’t currently have a 220v plug access in my rental, unless I move and unplug my dryer. But in the future I’ll be able to make sure I have one.

But my main question is with the anvil do I need to have the lid on during the mash?

Looking at other electric all in one system I’ve seen people have the lid off during the mash and using recirculation But with all the videos I’ve seen of people using the anvil they always have the lid on. I’ve seen posts of people struggling with efficiency with the anvil and wonder if having the lid on or off effects that as well.

Im asking because being a mechanical engineer and having a fabrication background, I can’t help but make a plan for how I want to set up the anvil and potential modifications I want to make. Some of which would affect the ability of installing the lid during the mash.

I appreciate and info and advice, I don’t currently own the anvil and I’m not expecting to purchase one for a couple months so if someone recommends a different system over the anvil for my use I’d always love to hear you opinion.

thank you!

All systems should have the lid on during the mash. The whole point of recirculation is to restore the heat loss in the top of the mash and it's counterproductive to facilitate additional heat loss by leaving the cover off. The more heat you lose, the faster you feel like you have to recirculate and the more likelihood of filling the basket up to overflow and dry firing the element.

All systems should have the lid on during the mash. The whole point of recirculation is to restore the heat loss in the top of the mash and it's counterproductive to facilitate additional heat loss by leaving the cover off. The more heat you lose, the faster you feel like you have to recirculate and the more likelihood of filling the basket up to overflow and dry firing the element.
Okay, I was wondering if heat loss was an issue without the lid. Thought it was strange that someone people don’t use it but that makes a lot of sense.

thank you

In principle, I understand what you are saying and totally agree with you. I'm only 3 brews into this system and I seem to be adjusting the recirculation flow rate quite a bit. At least at the start of circulation when bits can reduce/cut off flow. Maybe with more experience on this system I'll be able to maintain the proper flow rate without looking at what's coming out of the hose. Something to work toward.

Back