ANVIL FOUNDRY ALL-GRAIN BREWING SYSTEM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flaked adjuncts do not need to be milled, they have already been released from their husk and have sufficient surface area for sugar extractions.

As for leaving them separate, some brewers prefer to handle them slightly different than the primary grains. A protein rest being one example. A good shop will bag them separately.

Remembered to ASK them to bag it separately this last time. Crushed at .030 and still missed my numbers with a recipe catered for 60% BH...but...oh so damn close. I did no sparge as I ended up doing a double batch day and I figured...I'm probably going to miss anyways...so I'll just save myself the time and aggravation.

9DA46F81-499F-4EC2-A61F-E4E343B67A34.jpeg

Has anyone gone for a 3V eherms to the AF? I have a 15gal spike trio and want to sell and downsize due to moving to Boston and family time. any major changes in quality of beer or regrets downsizing...?
I went from a 3V keggle system with gas kettle, electric HLT/HERMS and cooler mash tun. I really love this thing, especially once you read through this thread and get it dialed in. I'm making some of the best beer I've made in the last 10+ years of home brewing and you can't beat the simplicity of the AF especially with clean up.

Ironically I only have one regret, I can't do 10 gallon batches. We're averaging a gallon a day with the group of neighbors we hang out with, I'm brewing 1-2 times a week to keep up. 😂

I got the 10.5.
Here is a crappy picture that may or may not show it...
Top of coil (where the hose gets attached) is a good 6" or so under the top of the kettle.
Pointless since i got the tri-coil chiller anyways. But maybe helpful for others if they are considering all-in costs.

For me, this coil may become a pre-stage chiller depending on how low my wort gets (probably use it when the wort gets to 90 or so? Not sure yet.)
or maybe a cheap home made jockey box. We will see.
Gotta get my brewing going again regardless!

View attachment 727722

Which tri coil did you get out of curiosity? Took this pic from my last brew day, and it gives a representation of how a CUSS brewing IC sits in the Foundry, so figured I'd share. My next brew day, I'm simplifying my chilling setup and going to just run a hose directly into the IC and see how quickly I can get the temp down that way. I currently run a hose from a garage sink, into that cooler, let an aquarium pump into the IC, and the out hoses go into 3 Home Depot buckets outside. Then I throw ice into the cooler and recirculate. Usually takes about 30 minutes to get down to 70 that way...getting down to 80 or so takes about 15 minutes..those last 10-15 degrees seem to take forever........Want to vet the idea that higher pressure flow will go quicker.

3CB4D71C-5FB8-4EBA-A5DF-DD84EEA732E1.jpeg

Remembered to ASK them to bag it separately this last time. Crushed at .030 and still missed my numbers with a recipe catered for 60% BH...but...oh so damn close. I did no sparge as I ended up doing a double batch day and I figured...I'm probably going to miss anyways...so I'll just save myself the time and aggravation.

View attachment 730997

The sparge would have made a difference but your BH efficiency still seems low compared to mine. That being said I'm managing mash PH in addition to the 1 gallon cool sparge which adds up incrementally.

You've calibrated your hydrometer/refractometer, right?

The sparge would have made a difference but your BH efficiency still seems low compared to mine. That being said I'm managing mash PH in addition to the 1 gallon cool sparge which adds up incrementally.

You've calibrated your hydrometer/refractometer, right?

I've calibrated with distilled water..but not with an 'known' quantity of wort. I did get a new pH meter, which I did calibrate and that was great. I'm thinking about doing an old ale for my next batch, so I'll definitely sparge that one. Out of curiosity tho..does this flow rate look about right or is it too fast??

Agreed. Reserve a gallon or two next time, off the top you could see up to 10% efficiency increase. Think of it as rinsing extra sugar off the grains.

10%?? Really..dang it...Brewers Friend calculated 66% BH from that NEIPA. I forgot to take a gravity sample from the Winter. Funny that I felt great after the 1st batch and was like screw it..I'll go ahead and just do the 2nd batch today too...at end of that session, I was kinda wore out.

10% per some charts I've seen but since forgotten the location of. A site... maybe named braukaiser?

But, yes, you'll get a little more sugar out of the wort if you basically save a little water to "rinse it" off. Even though the original water gets to be slightly more... let's call it thicker because of it. It's not a huge difference but you should see a boost. 10% would be more of a max but something noticeable should be achievable with very little effort.

Has anyone gone for a 3V eherms to the AF? I have a 15gal spike trio and want to sell and downsize due to moving to Boston and family time. any major changes in quality of beer or regrets downsizing...?
I went from a 3 vessel gas Rims system, and I don’t regret downsizing one bit. Once you get the AF system down I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. I haven’t noticed any major changes in my beers with the exception of efficiency in the very beginning. You’ll see a lot of guys on here (myself included) that use a bag in the malt pipe (clean up is so much easier with it) and crush a little finer. I ended up building a small stand on wheels for mine and utilized my old pid control panel to control my pump and get secondary temp readings, cause why not. It’s much easier to clean as well.

Which tri coil did you get out of curiosity? Took this pic from my last brew day, and it gives a representation of how a CUSS brewing IC sits in the Foundry, so figured I'd share. My next brew day, I'm simplifying my chilling setup and going to just run a hose directly into the IC and see how quickly I can get the temp down that way. I currently run a hose from a garage sink, into that cooler, let an aquarium pump into the IC, and the out hoses go into 3 Home Depot buckets outside. Then I throw ice into the cooler and recirculate. Usually takes about 30 minutes to get down to 70 that way...getting down to 80 or so takes about 15 minutes..those last 10-15 degrees seem to take forever........Want to vet the idea that higher pressure flow will go quicker.

View attachment 731002

Try a cold plate chiller like you would use in a jockey box ( Jockey Box Cold Plate 8x12 in. - 2 Lines | MoreBeer ). Run the wort through the plate (loop all the connections together so you have one input and one output. You probably wouldn't even need to use the IC then.

I feel like this might be a stupid question, but what ratio of malt/water do you use? Was thinking about this...this morning, while eating my oatmeal...maybe because it reminded me of the mashing step....??

I've been ignoring the 1.5 ratio that Brewer's Friend has been suggesting, and just going with the amount of water that the Anvil manual recommends for the grain amount. Should I stop doing that?

I've been ignoring the 1.5 ratio that Brewer's Friend has been suggesting, and just going with the amount of water that the Anvil manual recommends for the grain amount.

They might actually be getting you around there. When you factor in the dead space on the sides of the pipe and also underneath, their #'s might get you close to that ratio inside the actual pipe where the grains are.

If you feel comfortable enough w/ your process to start working out the math and changing things up, go for it. If it's working, go with that too. This isn't an area where a tweak will be a huge improvement. More sparge water = an efficiency bump, but not a huge one. Beer flavor = pretty much unaffected.

They might actually be getting you around there. When you factor in the dead space on the sides of the pipe and also underneath, their #'s might get you close to that ratio inside the actual pipe where the grains are.

If you feel comfortable enough w/ your process to start working out the math and changing things up, go for it. If it's working, go with that too. This isn't an area where a tweak will be a huge improvement. More sparge water = an efficiency bump, but not a huge one. Beer flavor = pretty much unaffected.

Definitely not, but if there had been a "That's why your #s are so screwed up" that would have been an easy fix to start looking at that. My assumption is that BrewersFriend is looking at the Equipment Profile that I've attempted to put together and making water adjustments based off of that.

I copied a Ballast Point Belgian Choc Stout recipe at some point in time which has 13.25 lbs of grain. At a ratio of 1.5, BF is saying to 5.97G of Strike Water. Anvil manual says for 13lbs, at 240, I need 6.7.

Definitely not, but if there had been a "That's why your #s are so screwed up" that would have been an easy fix to start looking at that. My assumption is that BrewersFriend is looking at the Equipment Profile that I've attempted to put together and making water adjustments based off of that.

I copied a Ballast Point Belgian Choc Stout recipe at some point in time which has 13.25 lbs of grain. At a ratio of 1.5, BF is saying to 5.97G of Strike Water. Anvil manual says for 13lbs, at 240, I need 6.7.
I honestly never really targeted a specific water to grist ratio with my foundry. I use beer smith FYI and did not include an "recoverable dead space" to denote the water below the malt-pipe and around the sides that aren't in contact with the grains. With that being said, I know that the mash will always be thicker in the malt-pipe than what beer smith tells me it will be. By my calculations on the 10.5g foundry, the malt pipe fits 7 gallons if its filled to the brim and about 6.5gallons if its filled to just below the ridge the disc sits on. So it will definitely be thicker. My approach though has always been that I keep it as thin as reasonably possible while still allowing for a 1-1.5gallon sparge. I also have my equipment profile setup to purposefully take more losses into the fermenter to get just the clean stuff in the fermenter with minimal trub. So in the end, I probably use more water than most anyways. But these types of data (how much wort loss are you willing to leave behind, boil off rate, etc) are what matter to me more than the water to grist ratio. I digress but with my last two NEIPAs (17lbs of grains), beer smith told me my water to grist ratio was 1.85 and 1.75. So that might give you a basis for comparison. Keep it loose will also help with recirculation to help with temperature stability and also help prevent any stuck sparges.

EDIT to add: I switched to ditching the malt-pipe some time ago in favor of the bag sitting on a brewzilla false bottom. In comparison to the malt-pipe - it is a night and day difference in how much looser my mash is now despite having the same water to grist ratio. So that's why I really haven't bothered with the ratio and it probably applies to any all in one systems IMO as well.

I have started doing no sparge with smallish grain bills, so I go with the amount of water I want to start the boil. However, with 13.25 lbs of grain I would likely do a dunk sparge with a 1.5 or 2 gals just to get all the sugar I can. With 13.25 lbs and basically 6 gals you still end up with almost 2q per lb. The difference appears to be about .2 gal per lb, that's not much.

13.25lbs x 1.5qts / lb = 19.875 qts or rounding very slightly up 20 qts which is 5 gallons. So it's already accounting for a decent amount of dead space.

The more you save for the sparge, the more efficient you tend to be, within reason. But it'll only be a few percent most likely.

Try a mash w/ the lower amounts and see if you have exposed grain or if it's under water. If it is under, you are good to go w/ the lower volume (and vice-versa). Or stick with the higher volume and take an educated guess - if there's an inch of water above the grain you're at a good spot, if it's 5" of water or so above then you can clearly go w/ the lower amount. LOL could also just do what you've been doing and not worry!

I feel like this might be a stupid question, but what ratio of malt/water do you use? Was thinking about this...this morning, while eating my oatmeal...maybe because it reminded me of the mashing step....??

I've been ignoring the 1.5 ratio that Brewer's Friend has been suggesting, and just going with the amount of water that the Anvil manual recommends for the grain amount. Should I stop doing that?
After 10 or so brews with the Anvil, I have learned that what works for me is to ignore Anvil's recommendation and use a 1.75 ratio along with 8 oz of rice hulls in with the grains. I just increase the sparge amount to get my pre-boil level up to 7 gallons. I also always use the small ring adaptor and have used as much as a 15 lb grain bill without a problem. My efficiency is consistently in the 70%-75% range. I think all the brew's have been decent and all of my family and friends seem to really enjoy it. Maybe because it's free, I don't know?

I think I'm going to go with Noob's system and get a false botton and a Wilser bag and ditch the malt pipe altogether. That way I can also do smaller batches without the ring. :mug:

When I originally put my order in, I had included the small batch ring…but the forgot to include it…then it was in back order…and I’ve since forgotten about it.

My intention was just in case I ever wanted to do a small batch, but then I do recall reading that some people were using it for potential efficiency reasons.

I think I might have been worried about ripping my bag open with the nubs on the adapter too. Can’t remember anymore..I’ll get one if does improve efficiency though?

When I originally put my order in, I had included the small batch ring…but the forgot to include it…then it was in back order…and I’ve since forgotten about it.

My intention was just in case I ever wanted to do a small batch, but then I do recall reading that some people were using it for potential efficiency reasons.

I think I might have been worried about ripping my bag open with the nubs on the adapter too. Can’t remember anymore..I’ll get one if does improve efficiency though?
Those nubs are the exact reason why I never considered it as well as I thought the same about my bag. When I was using the bag in malt-pipe though I was getting 75-78% mash/lauter efficiency on average with grain bills ranging from 13-19lbs. So I was happy with those numbers for sure on this system. The higher grain bills obviously took a little more stirring and recirculating slowly to avoid a stuck mash but still had solid mash/lauter efficiencies (with a 1-1.5gallon sparge).

It did for me, but I changed a couple other parts of the process at the same time such as more sparge water, rice hulls.

Stainless Steel Pump Head for the Anvil Brewing Pump. So they came out with an SS head for the anvil pump for $30. Interesting as I see a few benefits (potentially), but it certainly would make this sucker front heavy considering fittings attach to the SS pump head as well. Hmmmm.
I bolted my chugger pump down to my brew cart (harbor freight furniture mover) took care of that problem. I’ve got a inlet, outlet, PID thermowell in a “T” fitting and a burp valve, all of which are valved and it doesn’t move one bit.

I decided to get one as a birthday present to myself. Figure if i can save myself from having to watch the kettle while heating up to mash temp and if I don't have to watch my kettle most of the time during the boil (6.75 gallons in an 8 gallon pot for a 5 gallon batch) that it would be an improvement. I am also thinking it will reduce my time from 5 hours brew day to maybe 4 hours.
my question is, now that they have the stainless pump head plus needing to add fittings for the hoses is there any real improvement over the standard plastic one. Would it be worth it?

Oh and I currently do biab in my megapot so the concept of using the malt tube is not foreign to me.

Eye of the beholder...

I'm a fan of secure connections. But I'm an anal retentive older engineer with a few bucks to burn. I haven't heard of people having issues w/ the plastic pump head or supplied hose connections.

I use the Blichmann quick connectors and the hose clamps with the thumb keys built in. It's pretty fast. But it's what I was using w/ my propane rig, and still do, so it's nice to have a "system" that works for both.

I decided to get one as a birthday present to myself. Figure if i can save myself from having to watch the kettle while heating up to mash temp and if I don't have to watch my kettle most of the time during the boil (6.75 gallons in an 8 gallon pot for a 5 gallon batch) that it would be an improvement. I am also thinking it will reduce my time from 5 hours brew day to maybe 4 hours.
my question is, now that they have the stainless pump head plus needing to add fittings for the hoses is there any real improvement over the standard plastic one. Would it be worth it?

Oh and I currently do biab in my megapot so the concept of using the malt tube is not foreign to me.
In regards to the SS pump head, I agree with @tracer bullet in that this in the eye of the beholder, also meaning it really depends on how you want to run this system. For me, I haven't pulled the trigger on this as of yet. The plastic pump head works well on its own and the connections are very secure with the white clips. But here is where the SS pump head MAY be helpful: 1) if you have a pump outlet valve to control flow, it would seem that the SS pump head would be better. I use a ball valve that is in-line with the output hose (not directly attached to the pump) and needed to built a simple stand from wood to support the ball valve. 2) if you like to brew with free roaming pellets (like I do), I have had a small handful of times (out of about 40 brews total) where pellets (for me that's been Saaz) can clog the plastic inlet because the plastic inlet has a restriction on the inside. Im not sure if the SS pump head has this same internal restrictor, my guess would be it doesn't but not sure. 3) if you plan to do any hose changes from the plastic pump head, over the course fo the mash, the tubing almost seems to "bond" to the plastic head and its a PITA to remove the tubing while its hot. I do a hose change because I actually drain the mash off to a second vessel and in order to get it back to the foundry for the boil you need to switch the inlet/outlets off the pump. Having a SS pump with proper QDs would make this switch easy peasy.

But again, the usefulness of the SS pump head really depends in HOW you want to brew with this system. If you are planning on running it exactly how it was originally designed to, I don't see the benefit of the SS pump head.

Cheers!

I've calibrated with distilled water..but not with an 'known' quantity of wort. I did get a new pH meter, which I did calibrate and that was great. I'm thinking about doing an old ale for my next batch, so I'll definitely sparge that one. Out of curiosity tho..does this flow rate look about right or is it too fast??

View attachment 731017
That flow appears good to me.

pellets (for me that's been Saaz) can clog the plastic inlet because the plastic inlet has a restriction on the inside.
Are you referring to the three-sided strips in the inlet? What are the pros/cons in removing those? I suppose potentially could allow something in that might damage the pump impeller but surely pellet hop mush would not. Twice now I have clogged the pump with pellet hop debris.

I have never removed those or thought to at least. I imagine they are there to actually stop a pellet from clogging the impeller. Not sure how much space is inside the head but it’s small. I feel your pain though about clogging the pump. It’s only happened a couple of times and typically with brews that don’t even have a lot of hops but the saaz hops I had are big boys lol. This though is the benefit of having an external pump rather than a pump internal and underneath the kettle that gets clogged

Haven’t posted a brew in a while but this one, for me at least, was big…literally. I definitely tested the limits of the foundry (I don’t use the malt pipe) today on an imperial stout. 24lbs of grain+ 1lb hulls=25lbs total. Water to grist ratio was LOW for this system, 1.23. Total mash water and grains occupied about 9.6gal. Didn’t want to go higher to avoid slopping while stirring. Drained wort to second kettle after mash in order to sparge-in-place with 2.5gallons of sparge water. Once sparging done, lift bag and pump wort back to kettle to boil 8gallons of wort for 2hrs and ended up hitting 1.100 OG. Recipe called for 1.101. Who cares! Lol was good looking and tasting sweet motor oil. Don’t think I’ll try to push limits further as mash/lauter efficiency took a hit at 73.7% I’m usually at 77-82%. But planned on the efficiency drop to hit OG. So pretty damn happy I can brew a BIG beer on the system. Nothing like brewing an imperial stout in July! Lol

5AFCBE3C-945F-430E-955F-171702B9630F.jpeg
58FC1382-A5A3-47FE-9583-8C18562CDC21.jpeg
8EDB2D8E-232D-487B-9DC3-E34FE2B9E419.jpeg

Haven’t posted a brew in a while but this one, for me at least, was big…literally.

Nice job on the #'s. Sounds like your process is dialed in.

I did an RIS a month ago, it's a good time for it so it'll be getting towards its best by winter, assuming you don't sample it too many times along the way and run out before then.

I don’t do a lot of wheat beers, but I’m planning one for next week. Last time I did one, I was still doing mash tun and sparge. What’s the general consensus on the necessity of rice hulls in the Foundry? If I’m doing a full volume/no sparge mash, do I need to use rice hulls, or does the looser mash of this method preclude the need for them?

I recently received a 6.5 gallon Foundry with the recirculation kit and was testing the flow restrictor clamp on the outlet hose. Whenever I closed it down to produce a very slow flow, the pump started making what sounded like a vibration noise. Nothing too crazy, but it was very quiet when the flow was not restricted too much. Is this normal?

EDIT: Turns out the thrust washer was missing! I added a #8 nylon washer and it is working fine now.

Last edited:
I don’t do a lot of wheat beers, but I’m planning one for next week. Last time I did one, I was still doing mash tun and sparge. What’s the general consensus on the necessity of rice hulls in the Foundry? If I’m doing a full volume/no sparge mash, do I need to use rice hulls, or does the looser mash of this method preclude the need for them?

I'm leaning towards don't worry about it. If it sticks, stir it up and then set the recirc a little slower. Recirc for a couple minutes to sorta clear things up and filter the big pieces, then proceed as normal. That said... rice hulls are cheap and there's little downside.

You don't necessarily have to change the plug on the cord. You can make an adapter cord with an inline gfi and use any type of electric stove or electric dryer connector.

Back