Another Yeast starter question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baer19d

Reaction score
How long does a yeast starter take before it's ready? I start by adding some yeast cells to a test tube with wort in it and let that go for 24 hours. Next I add the contents of the test tube to a 1000ml flask of wort and place it on a stir plate for 48 hours. Does this sound like a good routine? Will this also work for larger starters or will it take longer for the starter to be ready? Whats the longest a started will last? for example, I planned on brewing on Saturday but something came up so I need to wait until the following weekend. Will the started still be usable? Thanks, Mike

Actually, you should be able to just pitch some yeast into a 1000ml flask with about 100 to 150 grams of DME. Here is the procedure I usually follow:
1) Pour 100-150grams of DME in flask
2) add water to 1000ml line
3) bring to a boil for about ten minutes
4) Remove flask and place in an ice bath (make sure you're using pyrex!)
5) Once the liquid in the flask is completely cool you can pitch your yeast.

I would also recommend using a magnetic stirrer to keep the yeast suspended in the starter. I have also found that you need a minimum of 48 hours to get a good starter going and you can keep it around for about 5-7 days before it starts to slow down.

Back