Another yeast question...which to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RwillieK

Reaction score
Hello all - I am planning on a wheat ale for my next batch...... I can't find a dry yeast that is wheat specific.... would the Nottingham, or SafAle S33 yeasts work? I just happen to have the two in the fridge already.

I could use the wheat specific yeast in the liquid packs, but I'm only brewing one gallon batches....so I'm sure there would be a lot of flow off..... dry yeast seems to be the best way to go for me right now.

Robbie

I don't know of any dry yeasts specifically for wheat beers. It depends on what you're after. If you're just wanting a clean, easy drinking beer, go with Nottingham, the S33, or Safale US56.

If you're after a classic Bavarian style wheat with the banana/clove flavors, then you'll need to go with a liquid that's made for the style. Again, a liquid yeast vial or packet is not going to be too much yeast for your batch. As I said in my reply to your other thread, your average packet of dry yeast has a considerably higher cell count than a liquid yeast. Neither is going to be too much.

Well its liquid, but I used White Labs WLP300 on the wheat I just made. It tastes great and the yeast was strong and active. I made a starter from it though... but with only 1 gal batches I am assuming you would not need one. Just seems like a lot of work for a 1 gal batch.

I'm looking for something like Blue Moon, something like and refreshing.

I'll use what I've got for now, and try the liquid yeast on my next batch.

I am making one gallon batches because I don't currently have the room to put 5 gallon buckets anywhere.....I already have five sitting around for my reef tank. Once I moce to a real house in a few months (out of this townhouse), I'll have room for real batches.

Beisdes that, I have only brewed three batches so far, and gallon batches are cheaper, and I don't loose too much if a batch goes bad.

Robbie

Back