Another "WTH" is THIS!? question from a new guy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my 1st brew, a Porter, that is about 7 days into the secondary stage. I have been as picky as possible with sanitation and thoroughlt sanitized the racking pump ant tubing, etc. I was as careful as could be about keeping the tube under the liquid during the transfer into the carboy.

So what is the whitish haze ring all along the upper edge of the beer surface in my picture? (Hope the stnkin' picture shows up here as I spent way too much time resizing, rotating, etc).

All help and opinions are welcomed. Hate to lose my 1st attempt. Plus I am thirsty. :D:D

20170511_100757_resized.jpg

Because I am new and can follow directions?:D

I have read a lot of the "don't secondary" threads here, but that was AFTER I followed my directions that came with the extract kit.

Thanks for the input though.

I honestly cant see a white ring. But if there is one there I would suspect that it is yeast floaties that got siphoned over. That being said... Dont secondary :D :ban:

What I see looks fine.
It looks like there's some white discoloration in the bottle (same as mine at home). The white spots in the neck of the carboy look like yeasts more than anything.

If you do secondary (I do quite often), secondary in glass or stainless steel if you're aging for any length of time. It is less permeable to oxygen than plastic.

I had to actually buy beer to make beer......how sad.

cswis86, it kind of looks that way, but isn't it suspicious that it is heaviest right at the top edge of the beer, fading lighter as it descends into the carboy?

I was out of town when it quit bubbling in the fermenter and it had stopped bubbling for a couple of days before I got home to move it into secondary. I gave it as little head space in the carboy as I dared, but was concerned if it wasn't off-gassing then the headspace would be plain air.

So possibly the white ring is an oxygenated zone? :confused:

I agree with everyone who essentially said don't worry about it. No two fermentations are exactly alike in my experience. The process is a product of each episodes individual differences. Don't sweat it, keep records and however the beer turns out it will be a learning experience. I'd bet it will be at least drinkable and perhaps marvelous! Good luck to you.

cswis86, it kind of looks that way, but isn't it suspicious that it is heaviest right at the top edge of the beer, fading lighter as it descends into the carboy?

I was out of town when it quit bubbling in the fermenter and it had stopped bubbling for a couple of days before I got home to move it into secondary. I gave it as little head space in the carboy as I dared, but was concerned if it wasn't off-gassing then the headspace would be plain air.

You are worrying way too much. No, it's not suspicious and no it's not an oxygenated zone. Brew another beer to take your mind off this one in the meantime.

The headspace is the biggest danger. I'd taste it, and if there is no sour off-taste, I'd bottle it to get it out of that carboy and keeping it exposed to the oxygen.

If you're going to use a secondary (some do, some don't), make sure to use the smallest vessel that can contain your beer. Once fermentation slows and then stops, the beer is susceptible to damage caused by oxygen, from oxygen loving bacteria and mold to oxidative flavor damage.

Since the beer's been finished for a long time, it's best to bottle it at this point if it's not infected yet.

The headspace is the biggest danger. I'd taste it, and if there is no sour off-taste, I'd bottle it to get it out of that carboy and keeping it exposed to the oxygen.

If you're going to use a secondary (some do, some don't), make sure to use the smallest vessel that can contain your beer. Once fermentation slows and then stops, the beer is susceptible to damage caused by oxygen, from oxygen loving bacteria and mold to oxidative flavor damage.

Since the beer's been finished for a long time, it's best to bottle it at this point if it's not infected yet.

Thanks Yooper. That's my plan; get it bottled this weekend. I have tasted it both when originally boiled and again when I was moving it to the secondary, and it has been fine.

Thanks to all that gave input, I appreciate it!:rockin:

Gotta go buy some beer again....... for the bottling. Can't wait till I can just pull one of my own out and pop the top.:D

Thanks Yooper. That's my plan; get it bottled this weekend. I have tasted it both when originally boiled and again when I was moving it to the secondary, and it has been fine.

Thanks to all that gave input, I appreciate it!:rockin:

Gotta go buy some beer again....... for the bottling. Can't wait till I can just pull one of my own out and pop the top.:D

Or (since we've gotten the "dont secondary" thing out of the way, we can move onto the next controversial topic) when you start kegging and dont have to pop a top, rather pull a handle

Or (since we've gotten the "dont secondary" thing out of the way, we can move onto the next controversial topic) when you start kegging and dont have to pop a top, rather pull a handle

Jeeeeeeeezzzzzzz.......

Give me a chance, now. :)

It's my 1st batch and I'm a married guy. A married guy can't just start buying all kinds of new gear for beer making. I have to go at an unnoticeable pace; like I do for buying parts for my old cars. :D

The Kegerator plans have been laid, but SLOW is smooth, and smooth is fast, as all married guys know. ;) And gunslingers.

At the speed you guys want me to move, it's a wonder beer takes so long.

Now I have to get into programmable logic controllers, automated ball valves, fly pumps, temp sensors, gas control solenoids, oxygen infusion, co2 controls, nitrogen infusion..............

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!

How deep does this rabbit hole get, and will it be cheaper than a boat? :confused::)

Now I have to get into programmable logic controllers, automated ball valves, fly pumps, temp sensors, gas control solenoids, oxygen infusion, co2 controls, nitrogen infusion..............

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!

How deep does this rabbit hole get, and will it be cheaper than a boat? :confused::)

I still haven't found the bottom of this rabbit hole.. It just keeps meandering and changing for me :tank:

Just wait until all grain and water chemistry... ;D

Jeeeeeeeezzzzzzz.......

Give me a chance, now. :)

It's my 1st batch and I'm a married guy. A married guy can't just start buying all kinds of new gear for beer making. I have to go at an unnoticeable pace; like I do for buying parts for my old cars. :D

The Kegerator plans have been laid, but SLOW is smooth, and smooth is fast, as all married guys know. ;) And gunslingers.

I'm both a married guy and a gunslinger so I know your predicament. Pro tip. If your wife is a neat freak like mine, start saving bottles and piling them up around the house to dry. That's what I did and for my birthday was 2 shiny new AEB kegs. :d

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!

It goes all the way, and it's cheaper than this boat,

02401.jpg

but more expensive than this one.

i-intex-ponton-challanger-3-set-68370.jpg

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!

I do all grain brew and I have a boat. Brewing is cheaper and the boat is for sale.:D

I didn't go very far down the rabbit hole before I figured out that I like the beer I make as is and don't need all the extra gear. About the farthest I got into the rabbit hole was a grain mill and temperature control and the temperature control was done by finding a room that stayed cool enough and adjusting my brewing schedule to use that room while it was cool.:ban:

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!

I had a bucket and a pot- and now I have a 1/2 barrel all electric HERMS indoors. I'd say to get out now, but I think it may be too late................:)

I say that the guys on this forum are responsible for me spending at least $10,000 over the last 11 years or so.

WAY cheaper than a boat!

Like Yopper I started with a bucket and a pot. Now I have a single tier propane system (and looking further to go down that rabbit hole by going electric), built a fermentor with temp controller, grain mill station, stir plate, and a keezer. Also looking at turning one of my two car garage into a brew room. The rabbit hole keeps getting deeper....

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!

Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

Nuff said, brew on....

I'm both a married guy and a gunslinger so I know your predicament. Pro tip. If your wife is a neat freak like mine, start saving bottles and piling them up around the house to dry. That's what I did and for my birthday was 2 shiny new AEB kegs. :d

NICE! I was going to justify buying a keg or two by pointing out the bottle issue. Good to know my hypothesis has merit in an empirical way.:D

I had a bucket and a pot- and now I have a 1/2 barrel all electric HERMS indoors. I'd say to get out now, but I think it may be too late................:)

I say that the guys on this forum are responsible for me spending at least $10,000 over the last 11 years or so.

WAY cheaper than a boat!

Well, that's less than $1000.00 per year. Sounds like the guys didn't do a very complete job; I bet a ton of new stuff has come along to buy in 11 years. Better head the LBS right now! You are behind! :mug:

I do all grain brew and I have a boat. Brewing is cheaper and the boat is for sale.:D

I didn't go very far down the rabbit hole before I figured out that I like the beer I make as is and don't need all the extra gear. About the farthest I got into the rabbit hole was a grain mill and temperature control and the temperature control was done by finding a room that stayed cool enough and adjusting my brewing schedule to use that room while it was cool.:ban:

Boats are real poular here, and I have friends that have boats, but they call them the ultimate money pit, and I remind them of this everytime they start listing all the parts they are buying in order to get the thing back on the water for another season.

At least drinking beer keeps my septic system working. Boat parts, not so much.

I agree, ALL OK. The first brew always seems like the safest.it is the later more complacent ones you should worry about. as passedpawn said above, "relax don't worry, have a home brew!

It goes all the way, and it's cheaper than this boat,

02401.jpg

but more expensive than this one.

i-intex-ponton-challanger-3-set-68370.jpg

WOW! That is quite a price range there. Hopefully I can keep it near the Rubber Yacht end of the scale. Parch kit and an oar now and then seems reasonable to me. :rockin:

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!

Eh. The rabbit hole can be deep. But if you keep it simple you will save money in the end. The biggest thing to remember is that beer can be made cheaply but the more times you upgrade the more expensive it is.

The best two days in a boat owners life are the days he purchased it and the day he sells it.

He certainly can. As soon as yeast is pitched the wort becomes beer (techincally). His has gone through fermentation. It certainly is beer now. It just isn't carbonated or chilled.

Is that a hard and fast rule? Or just maybe a guideline?

Years ago when in the Air Force, I seem to remember drinking my share of warm, flat, beer (or what passed for beer) in Korea.

I'm sure my 1st effort, hazey white ring and all, will be better than that stuff. Right? RIGHT? Man I sure hope so.;)

Latest posts

Back