My 1st brew day – The good, the bad and the questions…

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex4mula

Reaction score
So after a lot of planning, reading and setup of my brewing space yesterday I went ahead and brew my first batch. This was an extract kit of a Bells Best Brown clone. It asked to brew a grain bag at 160F for 20 min then the regular 1hr brew after adding the extract and later the hops schedule.

So the good: I watched a lot of brew videos and saw a lot of pictures of brewing space setup. With that and without never doing a brew I took many decisions on what table to use, where to locate equipment and where to store hoses and things for brew day. Not rocket science but just wanted to make the brew day process easy. I have to say that the setup worked great and almost all ran smoothly. The brew pot (Brewer’s Edge electric) worked great, the extractor did the job with no condensation, chiller hoses and pumps worked great and I didn’t make any mess nor splashes. Also I didn’t have any boil over and foam was almost none. I used 3 drops of Fermcap to control it.

The nit picky: The chiller I bought seems over board (18” 20 plate). Not a bad problem to have but it cools super fast and I have little time to adjust temperature. With 52.5°F water at input the pump drains the 5gal pot in less than 3min and with the water hose barely open I was able to get the wort out at around 64°F which the guys at my brewing store told me it was ok to pitch with the yeast I was using. Second, the whole process was a one man operation until I put the output hose in the carboy mouth. With the sanitizer it was very slippery and was pulling out. Had to call my wife to hold it. Need a solution for that.

The bad: The hydrometer reading seems to be 1.059 (pic att). I read usually it should be around 1.04 so not sure how bad this is. I started with 5gal of water and at end of boil I had a little above 4gal. They told me to add water at that point if needed to not have too much alcohol. So I forgot and almost drained the kettle. At that point I added near a gallon and then finished draining the kettle. Not sure the impact of this or if the high hydrometer is related to this. Finally, I could see bubbles coming out of air lock as soon as I closed the system. I am controlling the heat with Inkbird setup to 67°-69°F and works perfect. But this morning I saw bubbling stopped. After close inspection seems the airlock (cup style) water level was a tiny too low and was just at the border of the top of the openings (little windows around) of the upside down cup inside. I added a little more water and saw bubbles again.

Now questions: What can you say about my hydrometer reading? Do I need to worry? What about the air lock being maybe a little open for about 12hrs? Is fermentation screwed up? There is like a ¼” foam on top of carboy wort (pic att). Is that low because of the Fermcap? Anything very wrong on what I did?

Final notes: Cleaning the chiller was a pain. I spent maybe 15 times more water doing that than cooling. Tiny parts of hops kept coming out. Is there any good way to filter wort to avoid that?

Thanks a lot and sorry for the long post ;-)
IMG-0122.JPG
IMG-0131.JPG

Last edited:
Was your hydrometer reading 1.040 pre boil, because post boil 1.059 is spot on where it should be for the recipe.

I didn't take a reading pre-boil. I didn't know I needed that one. Would that be for the wort before putting in the extract? Thanks

I didn't take a reading pre-boil. I didn't know I needed that one. Would that be for the wort before putting in the extract? Thanks

You don't really need a pre-boil reading when using extract. However your 1.059 reading is correct (as long as you have correct volume) for the recipe.

All-grain and partial-mash brewers need to account for the varying amount of sugars in the individual grains in the recipe, as well as the mashing technique, to arrive at what is called the “mash efficiency,” that is, the percentage of the total potential sugars they actually extract from the grain into the wort prior to the boil. This will be less than 100 percent. (BYO)

1.059 sounds correct, but if your LHBS said it should be 1.040, either they're wrong or it might be an issue of volume. What was the final volume for the kit supposed to be, 4 or 5 gallons? If you measured low, you'll have a higher OG.

If your volumes are correct, the issue might be stratification - an uneven mixing of the wort. This can be a minor, yet annoying, issue when using extract. Make sure your wort is well-mixed before taking a hydrometer reading and problem solved.

Foam (Kräusen "kroy-zen") on top of your wort is good. It's a sure sign of fermentataion, even if it's only small. Every fermentation is different, some Kräusen will be small others may blow off your airlock. Either way, you'll have beer at the end.

1.059 sounds right, would make the beer roughly 5.5-6%. At 1.040 you would have like a 3.5-4% which is low for a brown ale

I often recommend that hydrometer readings for OG are skipped for extract batches. If you used all the extract in the recipe and got your water volumes correct, you have the correct OG. Quite often brewers are concerned because their hydrometer shows the wrong OG but this is caused by uneven mixing of the wort and top off water.

Thanks all for the replies. Yesterday fermentation started to move good. Foam got thick and you could see the all the action int there. I'm excited :)
4.JPG

Without seeing the ingredients and recipe, we can't accurately know the OG. 1.040 seems more like a pre-boil reading, OR a really low abv Brown ale. That being said, a 1.040 pre-boil to 1.059 post-boil doesn't make much sense either. I wouldn't be too worried about it, if that was your final reading at the start of fermentation.

With the sanitizer it was very slippery and was pulling out. Had to call my wife to hold it. Need a solution for that.
This...is something Beavis and Butthead would laugh about on the couch for an eternity. Just saying...

Beautiful setup. Dig the simplicity. I wouldn’t worry about the airlock. If your airlock is going to be slightly exposed..you inadvertently picked the best time. Assuming your yeast kicked off in a few hours, you were actively displacing other gasses and eventually pushing out CO2. Realistically it sounds like you set yourself up for a successful first brew. Did you remember to oxygenate your wort prior to pitching? Perhaps I missed that.

Also remember that while your ground water right now is quite cool, next summer will be a different story. Cooling will likely take a fair amount longer.

Also I see you have pex. I’ve never been in a house that had it and didn’t have a chemical taste in the water. If you detect some, I might start there.

@wepeeler Yeah, I laughed at that for longer than I should have. I am Cornholio!

Without seeing the ingredients and recipe, we can't accurately know the OG. 1.040 seems more like a pre-boil reading, OR a really low abv Brown ale. That being said, a 1.040 pre-boil to 1.059 post-boil doesn't make much sense either. I wouldn't be too worried about it, if that was your final reading at the start of fermentation.

This...is something Beavis and Butthead would laugh about on the couch for an eternity. Just saying...

LOL! Yes that reads very funny! The recipie is for a copy of Bells Best Brown at around 6% ABV. Thanks.

Beautiful setup. Dig the simplicity. I wouldn’t worry about the airlock. If your airlock is going to be slightly exposed..you inadvertently picked the best time. Assuming your yeast kicked off in a few hours, you were actively displacing other gasses and eventually pushing out CO2. Realistically it sounds like you set yourself up for a successful first brew. Did you remember to oxygenate your wort prior to pitching? Perhaps I missed that.

Also remember that while your ground water right now is quite cool, next summer will be a different story. Cooling will likely take a fair amount longer.

Also I see you have pex. I’ve never been in a house that had it and didn’t have a chemical taste in the water. If you detect some, I might start there.

Thanks. For the setup just wanted to make brew day easy. I did splashed the carboy for a while to oxygenate it. As for the PEX I only have it to hook up to the sink. For this (& possibly all) brew I just bought and used 5 gallons of drinking water at the supermarket. Nothing too special. Just the $1/gal one. Also I have a separate osmosis filtered faucet at the kitchen that I used for the water add on at the end. Thanks.

This past Saturday my first beer was ready. I have to say that it came out tasting great. After keging I used a carbonation stone that worked as expected. Learned a lot on this brew about this whole process. So many steps and ways of doing things! Wort brew (easiest), reading gravity, fermentation temp control, CO2 transfer from carboy to keg, cold crash, carbonation and so on. So many places to screw up that I'm impressed it came out so good. Overall my major mistake (did it also on 2nd brew fermenting now) was not using enough water at the beginning and ended up with only 3.5 gallons of final product. Too bad since it came out so good and all my friends loved it. But I'm ready to fix that on my third brew coming for a chocolate stout. Looking forward to it. Thanks all for you help ;-)

b1.jpg
b2.jpg

Looks great! Glad to hear it turned out so well. As I said in my prior post, you set yourself up for a successful brew day. Your results show it.

I’ve gotten into the habit of checking gravity a few times prior oxygenation and pitching yeast. If my numbers are high, I usually keep an extra gallon of boiled water or bottled on hand to adjust. An online calculator like this one can help.
https://www.homebrewsupply.com/dilution-and-boil-off-gravity-calculator

A refractometer is great for this purpose. Use 1 drop for a sample instead of 4-7oz. Cheers!

Looks great! Glad to hear it turned out so well. As I said in my prior post, you set yourself up for a successful brew day. Your results show it.

I’ve gotten into the habit of checking gravity a few times prior oxygenation and pitching yeast. If my numbers are high, I usually keep an extra gallon of boiled water or bottled on hand to adjust. An online calculator like this one can help.
https://www.homebrewsupply.com/dilution-and-boil-off-gravity-calculator

A refractometer is great for this purpose. Use 1 drop for a sample instead of 4-7oz. Cheers!

That is great. Thanks all ;-)

Back