Another washed yeast mystery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonBoy47

Reaction score
So on sunday I washed my yeast from an ipa that I had in the fermenter for 3 weeks. Its wlp001. this was my first yeast washing experience and I didnt do a great job. In the jars was a 50/50 mix of cream colored yeast and trub. So on monday I warmed up the jars to room temp, added more cooled pre boiled boiled water, and washed the yeast again. After the second washing there was still a little trub in three of the jars but one of them was solid yeast. I decided to use this one to make a starter. I made a 1.5L starter and dumped in my yeast. For 24 hours it did nothing. Then I started to see some co2 bubble rising from the bottom. But the odd thing was the yeast that had settled on the bottom was no longer white. It was more of a tan color. It was not the color of trub as I have three jars of washed yeast with trub to compare to. Now, 48 hours after making the starter, I have the layer of tan yeast on the bottom with a layer of white yeast on top. The mix is about 50/50. The starter is still bubbling away so there are obviously viable yeast in there. And it has a strong yeast smell.

So does anyone know what might have happened? Why did my washed white yeast turn tan? I will add that during the first 24 hours I shook the starter several times and the results were the same. I havnt saken it since the white layer showed up. Should I use this yeast? I was debating washing the starter and making another one. Think that would help?

I am not really worried about it I just want to make sure I dont ruin my next batch of beer. Any ideas?

If that was the case wouldnt the yeast have been discolored after I washed it?

The yeast is fine. I don't know why it does this, but the yeast that drops out first is the highly flocculant yeast and the white is the less flocculant. While the yeast in suspension is even less flocculant. The tan layer could also be a mix of proteins from your starter wort and dead yeast. If you've got yeast growing and it smells good it's good to use.

FWIW, all of my starters from fridge stored washed yeast seem to take up to 24 hours to get going as well. I've started top cropping yeast instead of washing. I have gotten some really good results because they are the healthiest yeast cells.

Ill definately look in to top cropping for future brews. Is there any good way to figure out if I have enough yeast for my next batch? Im making an IPA with a 1.070 OG and I dont want to underpitch. I would just go get some yeast but it costs me $12 in gas to drive to my LHBS. Next time I go i will be picking up some dry yeast in case I have an issue in the future.

Are you using a stir plate for your starter? If not, how often are you swirling the starter? You need to make sure there is lots of oxygen and as much yeast as possible stays in suspension, this is likely the cause of your slow start and maybe even your noticeable separation.

I am not currently using a stir plate. While im home I swirl it every time I walk by but Im gone at work for 10 hours so there are periods where it dosnt get any attention. I have made starters previously and have never had an issue with this method. Does washed yeast require more attention?

You will always have 2 layers one tan and 1 lighter. Sometimes 3 with a lighter layer between. The yeast is not bad ! The idea or principle is to build more yeast viable cells. Don't worry about the others . Think about it. The grey ones are old ,fat and happy we dump them in to a starter. They eat yes but not as much. Nor do they reproduce like the young ones!

Back