(Another) Ward labs Interpretation Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yrogerg1089

Reaction score
Greetings all!

I recently moved and decided it would be advantageous to learn as much as I could about my new location, including the water. To this end I completed the steps required to obtain a water report from Ward labs. The report is as follows:

pH 7.6
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 792
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 1.32
Cations / Anions, me/L 14.8 / 14.6

Sodium, Na 67 ppm
Potassium, K 12 ppm
Calcium, Ca 124 ppm
Magnesium, Mg 65 ppm
Total Hardness, CaCO3 581 ppm
Nitrate, NO3-N < 0.1 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 57 ppm
Chloride, Cl 150 ppm
Carbonate, CO3 < 1.0
Bicarbonate, HCO3 416 ppm
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 342 ppm
Total Phosphorus, P 0.02 ppm
Total Iron, Fe < 0.01

I immediately noticed the high concentrations of bicarbonates, chlorides, and alkalinity. Anything else jump out at anyone? I plan on brewing tomorrow and will most likely just cut with distilled for the time being until I have a better grasp on water chemistry. I am currently reading up on it and working through Bru'N Water. Any advice/critiques would be most appreciated however.

Cheers!

--Edit: Forgot to mention that I brew BIAB. Not sure if the thinner mash/greater volume exacerbate the alkalinity issues.

Run the numbers through the spreadsheet for reducing hardness using slaked lime (I use pickling lime). It doesn't seem that far off from my water in Oswego, IL (well water) which is actually a very usable brewing water after reducing bicarbonates.

Run the numbers through the spreadsheet for reducing hardness using slaked lime (I use pickling lime). It doesn't seem that far off from my water in Oswego, IL (well water) which is actually a very usable brewing water after reducing bicarbonates.

I have the Spreadsheet set-up. It seems to me that adding lactic acid is more beneficial to lowering bicarbonates and total alkalinity.

before.JPG

after.JPG

I also did a test boil yesterday and was left with an alarming amount of materiel in the brew pot. Would a carbon filter be beneficial? I know it would reduce chlorine and aroma/flavor compounds.

pH 7.6
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 792
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 1.32
Cations / Anions, me/L 14.8 / 14.6

Sodium, Na 67 ppm
Potassium, K 12 ppm
Calcium, Ca 124 ppm
Magnesium, Mg 65 ppm
Total Hardness, CaCO3 581 ppm
Nitrate, NO3-N < 0.1 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 57 ppm
Chloride, Cl 150 ppm
Carbonate, CO3 < 1.0
Bicarbonate, HCO3 416 ppm
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 342 ppm
Total Phosphorus, P 0.02 ppm
Total Iron, Fe < 0.01

This isn't great water for brewing but there are some things you can do with it. Just boiling will, as you have noted, drop a lot of the hardness and the alkalinity. You could expect alkalinity and calcium hardness to each to drop by perhaps 250 mg/L which should make a reasonable ale though if you were to supplement (replace) the precipitated calcium you would probably want to use mostly the sulfate as, though it is high at 171 mg/L, is of set higher for ales and the chloride is already pretty high at 150. Lime treatment can, of course, be used instead of boiling with about the same results. Were you to use lime then the 'split' treatment which would allow you to get rid of about half the magnesium, which is pretty high in the raw water, would be a good way to go.

Adding lactate (or another acid) removes alkalinity but replaces each bicarbonate ion with the equivalent (same electrical charge) amount of the cation of the acid, for example, lactic ion if lactic acid is chosen. This can be a problem if so much acid is required (you'd need almost 7 mEq/L here plus additional for malt alkalinity in light beers) that you reach or exceed the flavor threshold. Phosphoric is a good choice as it is pretty flavor neutral.

The use of a carbon filter for chloramine is a potential solution to that problem. Campden tablets are also effective at removing chloramine.

For maximum flexibility in your future brewing you would probably want to install an RO system (with pre-softener) as it will solve all the problems aluded to above.

This isn't great water for brewing but there are some things you can do with it. Just boiling will, as you have noted, drop a lot of the hardness and the alkalinity. You could expect alkalinity and calcium hardness to each to drop by perhaps 250 mg/L which should make a reasonable ale though if you were to supplement (replace) the precipitated calcium you would probably want to use mostly the sulfate as, though it is high at 171 mg/L, is of set higher for ales and the chloride is already pretty high at 150. Lime treatment can, of course, be used instead of boiling with about the same results. Were you to use lime then the 'split' treatment which would allow you to get rid of about half the magnesium, which is pretty high in the raw water, would be a good way to go.

Adding lactate (or another acid) removes alkalinity but replaces each bicarbonate ion with the equivalent (same electrical charge) amount of the cation of the acid, for example, lactic ion if lactic acid is chosen. This can be a problem if so much acid is required (you'd need almost 7 mEq/L here plus additional for malt alkalinity in light beers) that you reach or exceed the flavor threshold. Phosphoric is a good choice as it is pretty flavor neutral.

The use of a carbon filter for chloramine is a potential solution to that problem. Campden tablets are also effective at removing chloramine.

For maximum flexibility in your future brewing you would probably want to install an RO system (with pre-softener) as it will solve all the problems aluded to above.

I was hoping you'd comment on this thread (not that all inputs aren't helpful).

In playing around more with Bru'N Water it seems treating RO water is the simplest. Sadly this is a rental and I won't be able to convince the landlord to install an RO filter. I suppose I'll have to get it at the grocery store. Though that is also a bit of a pain. I suppose I will also play around with lime and pre-boiling. Thanks

Back