Another reason to love The Yeast Bay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
I bought a vial of TYB Wallonian Farmhouse over the weekend, and it arrived today along with a free vial of TYB Saison Blend.

Thanks The Yeast Bay!

Let me know how that works out for you. Ive used it 3 times now and ive found it to have a very different character than the description and what ive read online. Attenuation is the same though so its weird. To me, it seems to emphasize the malt flavors in my saisons and some have ended almost biere de garde -ish

Let me know how that works out for you. Ive used it 3 times now and ive found it to have a very different character than the description and what ive read online. Attenuation is the same though so its weird. To me, it seems to emphasize the malt flavors in my saisons and some have ended almost biere de garde -ish

Are you referring to the Wallonian or the Saison Blend?

I got ahold of some wallonian as well thanks to a local homebrewer being so kind as to prop me up some.

Also Rdom, are you a member of chaos or CHBG?

I got ahold of some wallonian as well thanks to a local homebrewer being so kind as to prop me up some.

Also Rdom, are you a member of chaos or CHBG?

Priceless, I'm not a member of either. I've considered it but have been a bit busy with my 3yr and 4month old boys recently. I brew by myself but would love to meet and brew/hang out with other homebrewers (especially saison lovers like me). Maybe this year I'll get around to it. Are you a member?

Ya, m00ps, not sure if you're talking about the Wallonian or the Saison Blend. I'm curious which one have you the malty finish?

Sorry, Ive only used the wallonian farmhouse one

i could easily be talked into trying the blend though. I just prefer trying out my own blends

moops, I've tried the Wallonian once, and to me it had a very earthy quality to it for lack of a better word. It was nice, but I don't think I'd go out of my way to use it again.

Thanks for the clarification, m00ps. On first read-through, I though you had been talking about the blend.

Well, I'll be interested to see how these turn out. I have a bottle of ECY Dirty Dozen on the way to me at the moment. My plan is to brew 11 gal and split it, half will just get the Walonian, and half will get Walonian plus the a small pitch of the Dirty Dozen.

Maybe I'll prop up what I have left of the Dirty Dozen and do the same thing again with the Saison Blend.

I bought a vial of TYB Wallonian Farmhouse over the weekend, and it arrived today along with a free vial of TYB Saison Blend.

Thanks The Yeast Bay!

Glad we could bring a little extra holiday cheer to you this season :mug: I think there were 15-20 out of about 100 packages that got one from the shipments we sent out on 12/28. Hope you enjoy the free vial!

Certainly do appreciate it. Now I've just got to find the time to brew with it. That's a good problem to have. :)

The Wallonian Farmhouse is just starting to carb up now. Attenuation delivered for sure. It turned out at about a half a point (1.0005). I can see what your saying, it is malty. However, it doesn't have an overly estery profile. Sometimes, dry saisons with a lot of fruit esters can come off as sweet, and this doesn't for me. The overall character seems more earthy, musty, with some saisony spiciness.

I co pitched 5 gal with ECY Dirt Dozen. At the moment it doesn't seem much different from the 100% Wallonian. But we'll see if that changes over the spring.

The Wallonian Farmhouse is just starting to carb up now. Attenuation delivered for sure. It turned out at about a half a point (1.0005). I can see what your saying, it is malty. However, it doesn't have an overly estery profile. Sometimes, dry saisons with a lot of fruit esters can come off as sweet, and this doesn't for me. The overall character seems more earthy, musty, with some saisony spiciness.

I co pitched 5 gal with ECY Dirt Dozen. At the moment it doesn't seem much different from the 100% Wallonian. But we'll see if that changes over the spring.

Excited to hear about how the Wallonian turns out for you with Brett. That's how I've seen a lot of commercial Brewers using it (had a number of phenomenal beers from Odd13 Brewing along that track) and they're getting great results.

Excited to hear about how the Wallonian turns out for you with Brett. That's how I've seen a lot of commercial Brewers using it (had a number of phenomenal beers from Odd13 Brewing along that track) and they're getting great results.

I'll definitely report back. I put a little head pressure on it, and added a bit of dextrose so it gets a bit of refermentation in the keg. Not so much with the intent to feed the Brett, I'm sure the Sacc grabbed those sugars first, but hopefully the head pressure from refermentation triggers the Brett to do some fun stuff with what the Wallonian gave it to work with.

I'll definitely report back. I put a little head pressure on it, and added a bit of dextrose so it gets a bit of refermentation in the keg. Not so much with the intent to feed the Brett, I'm sure the Sacc grabbed those sugars first, but hopefully the head pressure from refermentation triggers the Brett to do some fun stuff with what the Wallonian gave it to work with.

Brett doesn't need a lot of sugar to do its thing. It's more about how it modifies the existing flavor profile components to build new ones. I'm sure it'll be great!

Brett doesn't need a lot of sugar to do its thing. It's more about how it modifies the existing flavor profile components to build new ones. I'm sure it'll be great!

Yep, I'm on board with that. I added some dextrose to a) get a bit if referment to scavenge any O2 I might have picked up transferring, and b) to get a bit of natural head pressure in the keg. I know Chad Y. has said he sees head pressure triggering Brett activity.

Back