another ph thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F_R_O_G

Reaction score
when i measure the ph of my wort from 2 different test strips i get to different readings. my first reading from Precision Labs, Inc says I'm at 5.1. I also measured it with test strips from Whatman that says I'm at 5.7. what one am i suppose to believe? Precision Labs test strips are suppose to be for measuring wort but i'm not sure if there really that accurate. there only $6 at the LHBS the Whatman strips are ~$20 online. another thing is my water is just over 7ph, per water report, and i'm brewing a stout so i would expect high 5s (no pun intended)

anyone else have experience with either of these 2 test strips? I just need to know what one to trust.

when i measure the ph of my wort from 2 different test strips i get to different readings. my first reading from Precision Labs, Inc says I'm at 5.1. I also measured it with test strips from Whatman that says I'm at 5.7. what one am i suppose to believe? Precision Labs test strips are suppose to be for measuring wort but i'm not sure if there really that accurate. there only $6 at the LHBS the Whatman strips are ~$20 online. another thing is my water is just over 7ph, per water report, and i'm brewing a stout so i would expect high 5s (no pun intended)

anyone else have experience with either of these 2 test strips? I just need to know what one to trust.

Neither one would be dependable, but I did hear that colorphast (think that's the name) are generally only .3 off.

Get a cheap meter. Mine is dead on and hasn't needed calibration in a year. $15.00 on amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Are you testing both at room temperature? Also it Doesn't matter what pH your brew water is, only the alkalinity and the salts that you are adding. I would not sure strips and get a pH meter.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back