PH and sulfites

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a beginner/novice mead brewer. I have just one batch under my belt and I hated how it turned out, but I'm looking for a way to control that. From a lot of research I've found things on ph and SO2 balance. How much does this really matter? Is it worth investing in test strips and such?

pH will reflect the acidity of your mead which will partially translate to mouthfeel. You can adjust that pH and flavors with acids IF you need it. SO2 is more for making it shelf stable. Test strips aren't considered very accurate. I'm doubting that these are your issues though.

Tell us what you hated and we might be able to offer some more targeted suggestions.

pH will reflect the acidity of your mead which will partially translate to mouthfeel. You can adjust that pH and flavors with acids IF you need it. SO2 is more for making it shelf stable. Test strips aren't considered very accurate. I'm doubting that these are your issues though.

Tell us what you hated and we might be able to offer some more targeted suggestions.
It didn't have much honey taste and gave rubbing alcohol vibes. I'd prefer a higher abv but with some residual sweetness. It also sat on lees for a while which I just let go because of my crappy racking job. It did clear out though. I want to add lemon juice to the melomel I'm making, but I'm not sure when to add or if I should it's blueberry, haven't started yet, but I think it'll add nice flavor but I'm also considering adding peels to secondary

It didn't have much honey taste and gave rubbing alcohol vibes
Your choice off honey, ABV, and aging time will all effect that end result of honey taste. Orange Blossom and others will have some specific and nice flavors.

Others like Clover are great for fermenting sugars but don't necessarily have a great honey flavor when done.

The rubbing alcohol vibe is likely coming from a higher ABV without adequate nutrients, improper yeast hydration, and lack of enough oxygen at yeast pitch.

I'd prefer a higher abv but with some residual sweetness.
You are now trying to decide between yeast choice that might leave some sugars or back sweetening... A potentially bigger topic.
It also sat on lees for a while
Some yeast are good forthis and others will just add bad flavors depending on how long it was there.

Your choice off honey, ABV, and aging time will all effect that end result of honey taste. Orange Blossom and others will have some specific and nice flavors.

Others like Clover are great for fermenting sugars but don't necessarily have a great honey flavor when done.

The rubbing alcohol vibe is likely coming from a higher ABV without adequate nutrients, improper yeast hydration, and lack of enough oxygen at yeast pitch.

You are now trying to decide between yeast choice that might leave some sugars or back sweetening... A potentially bigger topic.

Some yeast are good forthis and others will just add bad flavors depending on how long it was there.
It was EC-118 yeast

It was EC-118 yeast
For the melomel I want to make, I was considering rc212 and backsweetening after stabilizing with Hampden tablets and
It was EC-118 yeast
For my current batch I am considering rc212 yeast and back sweetening after stabilization with campden tablets and potassium sorbate fermenting until it's completely dry, stabilizing, and back sweetening.

For the melomel I want to make, I was considering rc212 and backsweetening after stabilizing with Hampden tablets and

For my current batch I am considering rc212 yeast and back sweetening after stabilization with campden tablets and potassium sorbate fermenting until it's completely dry, stabilizing, and back sweetening.
I guess it posted 2x when I was in the middle of typing lol

RC212 - great for Pinot Noir, dark grape pyments and dry traditional meads... Might be good for Melomels with lots of purple and red fruits. If its a berry based Melomel, then 71B is a good choice.

EC-1118 is a vigorous fermenter and can destroy subtle flavors in the honey. Any of these will ferment most meads dry and will require stabilizing before back sweetening. As an alternate, you might consider an ale yeast like S-04 that is rated for 9-11% ABV (can go to almost 14% with proper nutrients and time) that will usually top out around 12% and extra sugars beyond that will leave residual sugars for sweetness.

Back