Another Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aquadownes

Reaction score
Greetings,

This is my second time logging on, and I saw a reminder that said I have yet to post and recommended I post a message introducing myelf. So here it is. My name is Thomas and I live in Raleigh, NC. I've actually only been living here a little over a year. Before this I lived in Tampa. I've been a beer lover for a good 12 years now. I've tried more brews than I could ever hope to remember, been to many brewpubs and even made a pilgramage to St. James Gate. This past Christmas my wife bought me a True Brew kit along with a prepackaged True Brew "Irish Stout" ingredients. What a gal. I started it on January 14th. Bottled it on January 22nd. I did try some when bottling it, wasn't too bad. In another 3 or so weeks, look out! :)

Now I just need to figure out what my next batch will be. I'm thinking about trying a recipe from Alton Brown from the Food network, an Amber Ale.

Hi and Welcome to the Forums. There are several of us newbies that recieved our kits for Christmas. We have some fine wives. I also saw that Alton Brown show which got my interest and must have given the wife a hint. :) After a couple of weeks here I feel I have learned quite a bit and my 2nd batch is way better than the 1st. I don't see how you can go wrong with an Amber Ale.

Welcome to the board. It does seem that a lot of brewers get their kits as a gift. Then the addiction roots itself. Have a blast here. There are some exceptionally knowledgable guys here.

Welcome to the Forum and The Hobby! Yeah, several people claim to have been insipred by Alton's show on home brewing. In fact, there's another thread going on right now involving Food TV!

Ask away! John Palmer's How To Brew is an excellent online book - and it's free! And The Cat's Meow is a decent place to look for recipes for your Amber.

Welcome, Thomas. I've only been aboard for less than a week but everyone seems friendly and extremely helpful. Glad to see another Raleigh/Durham member.
Cheers,
Jeff

I've actually been talking about homebrewing for years. Just never got around to visiting a shop. Even last summer I told my wife that I wanted to get started, but she said we had no room for the equiptment. Then she surprised me with a kit and we found room.

I've been impressed with the level of knowledge I've seen in the posts. I'm confident I'll have many successful batches in my future. I pretty much just follow the directions on my first batch, but after reading some posts and little research, I know I'll change a few things. Notably I won't just pitch the yeast in dry next time (that is what the directions advised).

Back