Another NEWB on your hands

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ishraider

Reaction score
Hey just wanna say this site has been already so helpful and this is my first post. I just recently decided to take on brewing as its something ive thought about doing for a few years now.

Now i started off with a Mr. Beer kit to get a general idea of how the whole process works. After reading probably 12 hours of information on this site and others ive gotten an even better idea of how this process works and what it takes to step up to a better setup and brew some real beer.

I have some questions i hope everybody will be willing to help with. First i live in a small tourist town in oregon and the nearest brew shop is over and hour away and with my current work schedule thats not convenient so i will be buying my product through the internet, so my question is what companys and websites do you recommend? Should i look into the brew shops and see if they ship to ensure good quality and fresh ingredients?

Another question i have is if anybody here brews and enters their brews into any competitions? If so how hard is it to learn the tricks and trades to become a great brewer and a competition winning brewer?

I have had my beer fermenting in the Mr. Beer barrel for 10 days tomrrow and it looks pretty clear and the fermenting has come almost to a stop...i poured a small sample and the color is a very light color, smells sweet but tasted alot like just flat beer...is it ready to bottle? or would waiting 4 more days pay off that much more from a Mr. Beer extract? And i didnt swallow the sample just swirled it around for flavor and it seemed to have a small burn to it that stuck around for a minute or two...does this sound like a real problem or just typical before carbonation and secondary fermenting? Well thanx and once again this sites been helpful.

oh i found a site if anybody would like to give me their opinion on if it sounds like a good site http://www.mainbrew.com/index.html

Ishraider, welcome to the forums. Word of advice, break you post into paragraphs cause walls of text are hard to read.

There is no harm in swallowing the samples.

Give it longer in the mr beer thing. 3 weeks should do it.

I'm in Canada so I don't do much online ordering from the US right now but MoreBeer and NORTHERN BREWER have a large selection. Others on here can point you to other sites.

I think I stopped in Seaside many years ago on a trip down to cali.

+1 on using paragraphs... puh-leeze!!

second, welcome!!

personally, I like northernbrewer.com - well rounded site & good prices.

good luck!

....so i will be buying my product through the internet, so my question is what companys and websites do you recommend? Should i look into the brew shops and see if they ship to ensure good quality and fresh ingredients?

Read the following thread to see what everyone is doing. I have used Midwest with great success, as well as Mr. Beer for my refills, also with great success. Everybody complains about shipping, so I would look for your best deals and watch shipping. Right now, Mr. beer gives free shipping for over $100 order and $5 shipping if you join there club (Free).

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/where-do-you-order-106910/#post1176420

I have had my beer fermenting in the Mr. Beer barrel for 10 days tomrrow and it looks pretty clear and the fermenting has come almost to a stop...i poured a small sample and the color is a very light color, smells sweet but tasted alot like just flat beer...is it ready to bottle? or would waiting 4 more days pay off that much more from a Mr. Beer extract? And i didnt swallow the sample just swirled it around for flavor and it seemed to have a small burn to it that stuck around for a minute or two...does this sound like a real problem or just typical before carbonation and secondary fermenting?

I imagine 10 days is plenty in the Mr. Beer, that is exactly how long my first batch was in, and it is great. Truly though, only a hydrometer test can tell you for sure. If your FG stays stable for 3 days, it is done and can be bottled. Quotes from several of the experts on this forum say the model is 2-2-2, or 1-2-3 (Primary, secondary, bottle); but with Mr. Beer alone, there is no secondary. So the best advice comes from the Mr. Beer thread here which is double the times in the instructions and then wait more until you can't stand it. :)

I would drink your samples. I did for mine :drunk:

Same taste you experienced, It is also improving my palate too. I am now starting to taste other flavors in the commercial beers ( i.e. Sam Adams Black Lager) that I didn't taste before as a result.

Welcome to your next addiciton. RDWHAHB!!

Another site you might check out is Home Brewing Supplies, Kits from Homebrew Heaven they are based in Everett Washington so somewhat close to you.... I have found that though their prices tend to be a bit higher than some of the other places, the money saved on shipping for short distances minimizes that cost.... also closer often means quicker delivery....

Oh yeah... the most helpful tip that I can offer you is that five gallons of beer does not last nearly as long as you might think! Start a second batch asap

Hey so far thanx for all the info everybody has left. Sorry about the paragraph thing my font was smaller than usual and it didnt look like that much text until i read it after your replys and fixed the font. I edited it for future readers to understand much better.

I definatly plan on running at least 2- 5 gallon batches at a time and then as i learn the process better kick it up to maybe 4- 5 gal batches at a time. I live with a buddy of mine so it will being consumed by at least 2 people so im gonna make sure to have plenty :)

Latest posts

Back