Another High FG Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ogoki

Reaction score
Hi guys,

On my current brew I have a higher-than-expected FG, and I am wondering what you would suggest. I have read a bunch of similar posts, but figured I would post my case, seeing as they are all a little different.

The recipe is in the Belgian quad neighbourhood, with a little extra roasted barley, and a little less candi syrup (see mash bill below).

My OG was 1.092 and after about 8 weeks in the primary, it is only at about 1.028-1.030. Now, I was away for the 8 weeks and left it fermenting in the basement, which is only about 17C/63F, and the WLP530 calls for 66-72F.
What would you guys suggest at this point? Should I move it up to a warmer room and pitch some neutral yeast? I racked it off the old yeast yesterday (before measuring), which is still sitting in the carboy in the basement (the carboy was left uncorked overnight, so I might be hesitant to re-pitch that).

When I left 8 weeks ago, it was fermenting like mad, and there is a good deal of wort and yeast in the blow-off jug, so I know that it started strong. I used a starter and it was well-aerated, imo. Maybe it just slowed down due to the low temperature?

What do you guys think and how would you proceed?

Thanks in advance.

Mash Bill:
-10lbs. Pilsner malt
-5lbs. Abbey malt
-0.5lb. C120
-0.5lb. roasted barley
-1lb. D-180 a few minutes before first hop addition
-WLP530

what did you think your FG should have been ? 1.021 ?

I have never used it but 5lbs. Abbey malt will leave a lot of sweetness in your beer

so how fermentable is it ?

D-130 is sugar so that should have fermented out

what was your mash temperature and how long ?

you can try bringing the beer into a warmer room and the may lower it a few more points for you

all the best

S_M

How much yeast did you pitch originally?
I've found that the keys to proper fermentation are (more or less in this order):
1. Pitch the proper amount of healthy yeast
2. Proper (consistent) fermentation temp
3. Oxygen/nutrients

As for your current situation. I would not re-pitch that old yeast. You can try making a new starter of some belgian yeast and pitching a LOT and then fermenting it in the temp the yeast like (closer to 70F).

Thanks for the quick responses, guys.

Mash temp was 148-150 for an hour and twenty or so.

I used a 2L starter with 200g of DME and one vial of WLP530. I used this type of started for a bigger Russian Imperial Stout with great results, so I don't think that was the issue.

So, probably the temperature and maybe the Abbey malt are the culprits. I haven't been able to find any info on the fermentability of the Abbey malt. Anybody have any experience with it? Apparently it can be used up to 50%.

Would it be a bad idea to re-pitch with champagne yeast? I can walk down the street and get a sachet for pennies, rather than ordering more Belgian yeast.

Champagne yeast is going to really dry it out. I wouldn't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just a random idea, so don't kill me, but if its close to where you want it to finish, maybe you could blend in a weaker beer to bring down the overall FG. Just an thought. I also would not use champagne yeast, that just seems to be opening up another can of worms. Goodluck.

Don't use champagne yeast!

How did you take the gravity? If it was with a refractometer, I would say that is the problem.

If you used an hydrometer, I would guess the yeast stopped and dropped due to the temp drop. If this is the case, you need to make a starter with some new yeast and pitch when actively working (do not aerate the beer).

You might be able to salvage some yeast from your bucket. Washing it should get rid of most issues, and pitchig it into an already 8% beer should be adequate protection. If you don't want to use it, probably any yeast will do.

Thanks again for the responses.

It has been in a warmer room for a few days. I checked the gravity with a hydrometer, and will do so again, just to see if it has budged since having been moved.

My local wine shop now also has Coopers yeast, so I might make a starter and pitch that.

I just had a similar issue with two beers. Swirling them gently and bringing the temp up to around 70 helped.

Latest posts

Back