Another gelatin issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buchsenr

Reaction score
I haven't added gelatin for a while and decided I wanted a clearer beer. So I decided to add some this batch. I've been saving the packs that came with my kits. I boiled some water and tossed in the gelatin while still boiling. Now it has a strong odor. Should I try another pack and add it to non-boiling water?

I never had any gelatin packs come with kits, so I'm not sure of the package directions. I think, though, that you have to dissolve the gelatin in boiling water so that it's dissolved properly, before adding it to your secondary.

I never use gelatin or other finings, though, so just consider this a bump for the gelatin experts!

I've been using gelatin with my lagers. I boil the water first and let it cool down. Then add the gelatin (the individual Knox packet) and leave it for awhile to "bloom". I then warm it up again enough to fully dissolve the gelatin. It does have an odour. I wouldn't boil it.

GT

if you boil gelitin, boiling denatures and will do you no good. Just heat your water up enough to disolve the gelitin and add it to your beer. Let sit a day or two and it comes out crystal clear!

Back