(Another) Dry Hop question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phan71

Reaction score
So, I'm doing my first dry hop. After transferring to the secondary, I dropped the hops into the carboy. They are whole hops, not pellets. They are just floating on the top in a pile. The hops on top of the pile aren't even touching the beer. I was hoping that after a few days they would start to sink, but they haven't.

Should I get in there with a long handled spoon and stir them in, or just let them float on top? Like I said, this is my first dry hop, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Thanks.

autoferret said:
When i dry hop i like to put the hops into the secondary first and then transfer the beer on top of the hops.

I thought of doing that, but wasn't sure if it was the right way to do it or not. Everything I've read just says to pitch 'em in (implying that the beer is already in). I thought if I put the hops in first, it might aerate the brew.

I guess I'll do it that way next time.

Phan71 said:
I thought of doing that, but wasn't sure if it was the right way to do it or not. Everything I've read just says to pitch 'em in (implying that the beer is already in). I thought if I put the hops in first, it might aerate the brew.

I guess I'll do it that way next time.

Just leave them. Youll get some hop aroma from them. Even if you racked on top of them they would still float.

Next time just take the plugs and put them in a hop-sack (mesh bag) with some sanitized food-grade stainless steel ball bearings and rack the beer on top of them. It takes a few ounces of ball bearings per ounce of hops to keep them submerged.
I usually use two socks each with a half ounce in.

Back