Another 3d Printed Stir Plate - 80mm PC Fan & PWM Controller - Link to Files

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So heres all of my wires. I'm just confused on what wires I wire to the power jack. My 3d printed parts should be here tomorrow!

Its been a while since I wired mine up.

boasist since you just did yours, do you recall the wiring?

Its been a while since I wired mine up.

boasist since you just did yours, do you recall the wiring?

He helped me a little bit via pm. I'l have to run the yellow and black from the fan to the controller. Just not sure what wires I solder to the power jack. I figured posting pictures of what I'm working with might help me figure it out.

He helped me a little bit via pm. I'l have to run the yellow and black from the fan to the controller. Just not sure what wires I solder to the power jack. I figured posting pictures of what I'm working with might help me figure it out.

Ok look at the picture of the connector:

IMG_3379.JPG

I believe I did + to left pin, - to the center pin.

What color are the wires on your fan? I believe you should be able to google "(your colors here) pc fan wiring". I bleieve there are 3 wires but you only use 2 of them, one is + and one is -. You wire those to 2 screw terminals on the controll box. Then you have to run power from the 12v plug to the controller box, using what I said above.

What color are the wires on your fan? I believe you should be able to google "(your colors here) pc fan wiring". I bleieve there are 3 wires but you only use 2 of them, one is + and one is -. You wire those to 2 screw terminals on the controll box. Then you have to run power from the 12v plug to the controller box, using what I said above.

There's 4 wires. Black yellow green and blue. So I would run the black and yellow to the motor part of the controller. (Black is ground and yellow is 12v) Then, instead of using the power jack I bought (just so i dont have to solder) can i just cut the end off of the power supply and wire it directly to the power portion of the controller?

There's 4 wires. Black yellow green and blue. So I would run the black and yellow to the motor part of the controller. (Black is ground and yellow is 12v) Then, instead of using the power jack I bought (just so i dont have to solder) can i just cut the end off of the power supply and wire it directly to the power portion of the controller?

Id recommend soldering. Its an easy solder job.

I've just never had a reason to solder anything haha. I'l solder it at work. I have some extra wire here I can use anyways to go from the controller to the jack. Thanks for all your help guys. Sorry the noob questions.

The jack makes for a clean box. I just snipped the end and put a grommet in the backplate. I had already snipped the end from another project. And it worked for me.

You'll see the black and red on the supply you bought. You're right on the black and yellow for the fan.

I'm calibrating my filament with you're tower now and then it's on to the drawer box!

The jack makes for a clean box. I just snipped the end and put a grommet in the backplate. I had already snipped the end from another project. And it worked for me.

You'll see the black and red on the supply you bought. You're right on the black and yellow for the fan.

I'm calibrating my filament with you're tower now and then it's on to the drawer box!

Cool. The biggest things you can do for your prints are:

Temperature calibration
Extrusion Calibration
Retract and retract recover calibration
Parts cooling fans (for pla)
Hardware mods that make the frame more rigid to remove lash, z wobble, etc...

Again, thanks for the inspiration. Finally got around to making a box for my temp controller. Decided to use a mill instead of my 3d printer. Gonna make the stir plate in the next week.

No paint, wires or glue yet.

20160830_195005~2.jpg

20160830_195019~2.jpg

20160830_195047~2.jpg

Again, thanks for the inspiration. Finally got around to making a box for my temp controller. Decided to use a mill instead of my 3d printer. Gonna make the stir plate in the next week.

No paint, wires or glue yet.

Nice, what kinda mill you got? I am working on a large delta printer (450mm dia x 850mm dia build evenlope) at the moment, but I want to build the mostly printed cnc soon.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:724999

I'm cheating. I have Haas vf3's at work at my disposal. I really want to make a mill out of a drill press, but one project at a time. And I still need to get my prusa i3 working again before I even think about that. Haven't reassembled it after I moved 3 months ago.

I have seen some 3d printed stir plates floating around so I figured I would make my own rendition by remixing my stc1000 enclosure.

I used an 80mm fan, pwm speed controller, and some little .7" x .11" neo magnets.

all%2Bparts%2Bassembled%2B-%2Ball%2Bcomplete%2B1.1.png

upload_-1

upload_-1

upload_-1

upload_-1

upload_-1

upload_-1

upload_-1

Upgraded magnets
upload_-1

And I shall call it... R2...

upload_-1

Test Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQPAgM_KiDU

--------------------------------

Files: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1413550

Fan: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H3SWJ24/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Controller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/141645156384

Magnets: http://www.homedepot.com/p/MASTER-M...rth-Magnet-Discs-3-per-Pack-07047HD/202526369

Stir Bar Kit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A60XJBU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

5L Flask: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006UKI9X4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I used M3 x 40mm socket cap machine screws, nuts, and washer for the fan, and M3 x 22 socket cap machine screws and washers to mount the front and rear plates.

I personally used binding posts in the rear plate to connect some little banana plug leads to my bench top PSU. Feel free to request any kind of changes to the rear plate for various power options, or the front plate for different types of controllers and displays.

--------------------------------

CHANGELOG:
3/12/2016 - The stir plate is complete and I have tested to make sure the fan works, etc... but I have not tested it out with a erlenmeyer flask, stir bar, and liquids yet. My flask should arrive weds., and I will upload video of the test (and more pics) when complete.

3/17/2016 - I got my 5L flask in today and tested the stir plate. The magnets I was using were too small, at least for my biggest stir bar. It kept throwing the bar to the outside. I ran to home depot and bought some .7" DIA x .11" thick rare earth super magnets and remixed my magnet puck. I still had issues with the biggest stir bar, but then I tried the second largest stir bar and it worked extremely well. I got a decent vortext at 25% on the PWM controller, and it just got better all the way up to 100%. I also added some little rubber feet to the bottom of the stir plate for vibration dampening. I would also like to note that I didnt even glue the magnet puck to the fan. The magnets are strong enough to stick to the fan magnetically.

Nice. I am using the same controller.

I laser cut acrylic and made an enclosure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm cheating. I have Haas vf3's at work at my disposal. I really want to make a mill out of a drill press, but one project at a time. And I still need to get my prusa i3 working again before I even think about that. Haven't reassembled it after I moved 3 months ago.

Cool, yea I made a manual mill out of a cheap harbor freight x-y vise on my drill press. Its pretty limited on what it can do though.

cheap mill.jpg

I'm going to finally wire this up tonight! I'l post pictures of the final result. If it works, I'l test the stir plate on a 14% stout starter!!

Cool, yea I made a manual mill out of a cheap harbor freight x-y vise on my drill press. Its pretty limited on what it can do though.

That's an interesting idea. What's lacking? Range of motion and rigidity?

That's an interesting idea. What's lacking? Range of motion and rigidity?

Yea exactly. It worked well enough to cut little rectangular windows in enclosures and what not, but I wouldnt rely on any tolerances.

Awesome thehebs, I just picked up the prusa i3 mk2 kit, it arrives on Friday!

Really, really cool build thread, I would be printing the cosmowenman statues all day on that bad boy!

I have a Ultimaker 2 + and a Stratasys (older model) at work that I have access to.

I see that I can pick up a pursa i3 for under $200, may grab one for the house.

I wish there was a "3D Printers for Dummies" capable printer that was in my price range. I don't want to engineer a printer, I want to print parts. I think the "price of entry" WRT learning the technology is still a little too steep for me. Maybe I'm just not reading the right information.

Awesome thehebs, I just picked up the prusa i3 mk2 kit, it arrives on Friday!

Really, really cool build thread, I would be printing the cosmowenman statues all day on that bad boy!

Nice. I am actually toying around with the idea of selling my i3 to get the mk2, or possibly getting the mk2 upgrade kit and trying to make it work with my i3.

I have a Ultimaker 2 + and a Stratasys (older model) at work that I have access to.

I see that I can pick up a pursa i3 for under $200, may grab one for the house.

Nice, ultimakers are nice machines. You can get i3 kits for 200, but most are pretty terrible. If I wanted to get a cheap i3 or something I would get the wanhao duplicator i3, or if I had the money, id get an i3 mk2.

I wish there was a "3D Printers for Dummies" capable printer that was in my price range. I don't want to engineer a printer, I want to print parts. I think the "price of entry" WRT learning the technology is still a little too steep for me. Maybe I'm just not reading the right information.

There is most definitely a learning curve... It takes quite a bit of trial and error and googling to figure out all the little issues etc... The i3 mk2 is probably the closest thing to an affordable plug and play solution, but its 699 and you have to build it, or 899 built.

Look at the 101hero. It's a $100 printer that just started shipping. It's a smaller print bed but it comes mostly assembled. I think it would be good to get started. I will be purchasing one.

Look at the 101hero. It's a $100 printer that just started shipping. It's a smaller print bed but it comes mostly assembled. I think it would be good to get started. I will be purchasing one.

Can't seem to figure out what size it will print.

ETA: Found it:

Dimensions: Print height: 100mm (3.93″), Base Print Area: φ150mm (5.9″)

Pretty sweet stir plate. I'm thinking about building one out, but not with a 3D printer.

Care to share what size all the holes are that were "cut" into the box?

Thanks!

Back