An Englishman, an American and a German Walked into a Bar - and Ordered an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/b...a-german-walked-into-a-bar-and-ordered-an-ipa

On Saturday, at Lo Rez Brewing's First Anniversary Fest, Hugh and I will be serving an IPA we made that mixes some qualities from England, Germany and the USA. If you're in Chicago, you should come and drink our beer - 21st and Carpenter, 3 - 9 pm Saturday June 9th. We'll be with other CHAOS members and also serving Steve Burkhart's Strawberry Blonde.

We're serving the IPA in a traditional English fashion - out of a pin cask. Naturally carbonated in the cask, we'll pound a spigot into it when the fest opens at 3 pm and serve it (via gravity) until its done.

Its an American-style IPA, a beer that has become kind of the iconic American artisanal beer. Dry, with a bracing bitter backbone and a prominant hop aroma and flavor, clean and easy to drink.

We used a trio of new-ish German hops which give a unique aroma and flavor profile. We've used this hop combination before in IPAs and love them. These hops are not the traditional 'noble' German hops, but have an 'American' quality to them, but they are also a little different. While they have some citrus quality, they also bring a tropical fruit, mango, strawberry, honeydew, and white wine character.

Grain Bill

Pale Malt 66%
Munich Malt (10L) 13%
Vienna Malt (4L) 13%
Wheat Malt 7%
Crystal Malt 60L 1%

Hop Schedule
1 oz Chinook (13% AA) First Wort Hopped, @ 60 minutes
1 oz Mandarina Bavaria (8%) @ 20 minutes
1 oz. Hallertau Blanc (7%) @ 10 minutes
1 oz. Huel Melon (6%) @ 10 minutes
1 oz. Hallertau Blanc @ 5 minutes
1 oz. Mandarina Bavaria @ 5 minutes
1 oz. Mandarina Bavaria dry hop in the cask
1 oz. Huel Melon dry hop in the cask
1 oz. Hallertau Blanc dry hop in the cask

Other
American Ale US-05 Yeast
Irish Moss fining
Mashed at 149 degrees F
Fermented at 65 degrees F for three weeks, cold aged for one week
Carbonated and conditioned in the cask (with three ounces of hops) for two weeks

The Numbers
Original Gravity 1.068
Final Gravity 1.012
Bitterness 74 IBUs
Color 7 SRM
ABV 7%

I wish I was closer and could stop by. Sounds mouth wateringly good. 9 oz of hops, oh my!

Served in a pin. Fantastic!

I wish I could come! Well, I could but it would mean getting a divorce or something. :)

We’ve got so much going on here that I cannot sneak away to Chicago. Until August or so, from what I can guess right now.

He has this “thing” about me not being away constantly and leaving him with the grandchildren when there is no school. I’m only gone like a month this summer, give or take a couple of weeks, so I don’t understand at all what he’s talking about.......:)

However, in August, we may likely descend on you so I hope there is something to drink at Chalet de Pappers then!

I wish I could come! Well, I could but it would mean getting a divorce or something. :)

We’ve got so much going on here that I cannot sneak away to Chicago. Until August or so, from what I can guess right now.

He has this “thing” about me not being away constantly and leaving him with the grandchildren when there is no school. I’m only gone like a month this summer, give or take a couple of weeks, so I don’t understand at all what he’s talking about.......:)

However, in August, we may likely descend on you so I hope there is something to drink at Chalet de Pappers then!

You never know, but there is a possibility that we will have something on hand to drink in August.

Had a blast yesterday. Festival goers drank all five gallons of our cask IPA in less than 2 1/2 hours, so it didn't suck LOL. Our friend Steve's Strawberry Blonde ale was delicious with just the right balance of strawberry tartness and his five gallons also was finished off quickly.

Latest posts

Back