Amylase enzyme gluten free?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. I have brewed one gluten free batch for my wife who recently found out she has Coeliac. The taste was good, but being based on sorghum extract, I find the head retention and mouth feel leaves something to be desired. After reading some of the threads on here, I have decided to try purchasing some malted millet from Colorado Malting Company and making a partial mash. Since the malted millet does not have the diastatic power of malted barley, CMC recommended I add an alpha amylase enzyme. My question is will the enzymes be gluten free? Any recommendations on where to purchase enzymes or general recommendations about mashing malted millet? Thank you!

Seeing how many gfree brewers use it, its safe to say it is. I've used it as well, I'm drinking my batch right now, feel great, really great.

Yes, commercial amylase is derived from a fungal source, not from malted barley. You will be fine.

Back