American yeast goes belgian?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshtrayDinner

Reaction score
The braggot I brewed recently has developed some unexpected flavors.

I brewed a regular strength beer with Safale-05, and when the fermentation subsided, I added two pounds of blackberry honey.

The whole thing came in at 8%ABV.

It's bottled now, and when I went to get my first taste, I was shocked at the intense clove and spice flavors. In fact it tastes just like a strong Belgian ale.

I think this was probably caused by high fermentation temps. My apartment was having heat problems, and so was set unusually high. The beer must have been fermenting at about 21-22 Celsius.

Would this explain the flavors in my beer, considering they are unusual to find in American ale?
Should I expect the same results from my I.P.A, which was exposed to the same temps?

As always, thanks in advance.

Yes, temps play a major role in these flavors. 18C is about the right temp for these ale yeasts. Also, that much sugar (and hence alcohol) really stresses out the yeast. Did you make a starter?

I used to experience the same thing. My college house didn't have AC so it would get up to 82 degrees in the summer. All of my beers had an estery taste to them. For some it was undesirable, but for others it actually worked out pretty well. And yea you'll probably get similar tastes with the IPA if it was fermented at those temps.

Edit: Ok was to lazy to convert. That's not nearly as bad as I had it.

I did not use a starter, but I didn't add the honey until the original fermentation was finished at about 5.5%. So I imagine the yeast had reproduced substantially by then.

It's possible the temps were as high as 24 Celsius. Like I said the heat was haywire, so the beer wasn't sitting at a consistent temperature.

Back