American wheat, 5 days at 1.008

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpmess

Reaction score
I've only got a few batches under my belt and want to check if this seems right! All grain American wheat recipe, OG was 1.042 which was expected. Mashed at 154 for 60 minutes and fermenting at 63 degrees using US-05. I was aiming for a dryer finish. Today is day 5 and I noticed the Krausen fell and not much blow off activity. So I took a sample and came back at 1.008. Tastes dry, and a bit thin, decent flavor though. Plan to rack over some frozen raspberries at day 10.

With all that said, does this seem like a normal outcome with the lower ferm temp? I'm thinking about bumping up the ranco to 68 for the next few days. To early?

1.042 for 5 days - I'd be more surprised if it wasn't looking almost done. Certainly not too soon to bump it up for the finishing.

US-05 always ferments like a beast for me, so it sounds about right if it's 95% done fermenting, and day 5 is around when I like to bump up temp to help the yeast "clean up." Day 10 sounds good to rack onto fruit, just keep in mind that you'll probably have some activity from the sugars in the raspberries.

1.042 for 5 days - I'd be more surprised if it wasn't looking almost done. Certainly not too soon to bump it up for the finishing.

I bumped it to 68 before I left for work this morning. I should have snapped a picture of it, but it does look about finished. First batch that I've hit all my numbers on so I'm stoked!

Hey I see you are on the peninsula, I'm in San Jose. Any clubs you can recommend in the south bay?

US-05 always ferments like a beast for me, so it sounds about right if it's 95% done fermenting, and day 5 is around when I like to bump up temp to help the yeast "clean up." Day 10 sounds good to rack onto fruit, just keep in mind that you'll probably have some activity from the sugars in the raspberries.

It's my first time using US-05 and its definitely living up to its reputation. Like I said above, I bumped it up to 68 this morning and I'll check on it tonight. I'm considering splitting the batch and racking 2 gallons onto the raspberries and bottling the rest when its finished. I'm curious how the recipe will taste without the fruit.

Thank you for your help! I'll post up a picture when its ready to drink.

Hey I see you are on the peninsula, I'm in San Jose. Any clubs you can recommend in the south bay?

I don't know any, though I've never really looked, sorry. There used to be a good sized one in Oakland can't remember the name off the top of my head.

Latest posts

Back