American Trappist Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had the beer. It's OK, not great, and not what other Trappists are like. And it's kind of expensive. I bought 2-4 packs when it was first introduced, but I don't think I'll buy any more.

BYO had an article about it a few months back. Ridiculous price IMO. I get that there's no history here in the states of monks brewing beer, just selling swill for maximum profit, but $20 for a 4 pack of an enkel is absurd. It's not clear how much influence they have in setting the price, though. They don't do tours either.

They have to brew the single for a set length of time before they can brew other beers I believe. I'm not going to write them off just yet. Looking forward to see what comes out of our first Trappist brewery!

Santé!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was lucky enough to stumble into a pub that carried this while in Bean-Town to watch my wife do the marathon. It was tasty with a few floaties, a bit funky and lighter & lower ABV than most trappist ales I've tried. Can't wait to see them go national, and maybe open up the pipeline. Seems like they are under-producing now. I would keep a few of these around if I could get them here in Tejas.

b.jpg

Beer Advocate gives it a 90%. It's not for everybody. Definitely not a Double, Triple or Quad, just a Patersbier, sessionable for the common folk.

I had a four pack from the first batch. For the style I'm totally a novice, but I definitely enjoyed it, as did my wife.
Of course, I would admit to having an optimistic approach from the jump because the only Trappist brewery in the Americas is about 40 minutes from my home...

Cheers!

Back