Am I too late?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyBeers

Reaction score
I keep telling myself, "you're new to this, you'll make mistakes, just let it ride" but I can't help freaking out a little. That means I care, right? Anyways, I brewed on Sunday(extract IPA) and put it in my brew closet to ferment, ambient temperature is 72 degrees. It's start rolling less than 24 hours and I'm thinking I'm all good. Temperature starts rising to 76 degrees in the carboy so I start doing research and I find the US-05 doesn't like it that warm. So just now 3 days later I put a couple inches of water and couple ice packs in my container I placed the carboy to hopefully bring them temp down. Am I too late?

Kinda... but thats ok. Typically you care about maintaining temp for the first 48-72 hours more so than beyond that so in that sense, yes, its too late.

Bigger point? Your probably going to have fine, drinkable beer. Many of us started right where you are and made solid beer until we refined our process/equipment. 72 is just about the high end of ideal but 77 is the high end or the range per this you might get a few more off flavors but odds are you'll still get drinkable beer, just not beer that's as good as it can be.

If you're going to get into temp control you really want to start out at the low end of the temp range and keep it at that low end for the first 48 hours or so at least.

Thanks guys! Made me feel a bunch better. I planned on leaving it in primary for 3 weeks and I'll try to keep the temp decent until then. Good thing my fiancé likes fruity beers lol

Back