Am I killing my efficiency...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soup67

Reaction score
by mashing too thin? I use the "Denny" set-up, but for some reason have not been mashing out. I mash thin, drain the mash tun, measure my first runnings, and do a single batch sparge with the necessary volume of very hot water. I try to get a 40/60 to 50/50 split in first and second runnings volumes.

With smaller beers, I might eek out 70% eff, but with bigger beers (anything with an OG over 060), I am consistently in the low 60s. A buddy is using the same crush with good efficiency, so I don't think that is my problem.

Would I likely get another 6-8pts by mashing thicker (1.25qt/lb), adding a mash out, and then doing my usual single batch sparge? Would I get the same bump in eff. by not mashing out but instead just splitting my sparge?

Thanks for the help.

You don't need a mash out with batch sparging. Once you add the sparge water you essentially have stopped enzymatic activity which is the purpose of the mash out used when fly sparging.

As for efficiency, how's the crush, are you meeting your volumes, do you stir the mash, bazooka screen or false bottom?

Bigger grain bills will usually see a drop in efficiency anyways.

How long are you mashing for? I jumped significantly going to a 90 mash using grains crushed by AHBS. Last one was at 83% for pre-boil efficiency.

I don't think the mash out will gain you much if any. But mashing thinner and then splitting the sparge water between 2 sparges might get you a few points.

As for efficiency, how's the crush, are you meeting your volumes, do you stir the mash, bazooka screen or false bottom?

Volumes are good. Crush is good enough for others that I know are using it to get 80% eff.

I stir the mash once at dough-in and again just before I drain the tun. I then add my sparge and stir very well again.

I use a SS braid, about 18 inches long.

How long are you mashing for? I jumped significantly going to a 90 mash using grains crushed by AHBS. Last one was at 83% for pre-boil efficiency.

60 minutes.

I am beginning to think I have a conversion problem. I was thinking it is related to mash thickness-- had not thought about time.

I mash for 30 minutes and get 80% + efficiency. I also mash thin, like 2.6 qts/pound (BIAB). I think you have a crush problem and simply can't get the grain particles wet to the center so the enzymes can do their work and can't leach out all the sugars that the enzymes do produce for you. Doing a long time mash is simply a way to work around a crush that is too coarse as it lets the water soak farther into the grains.

A lower mash temp will require a longer mash time.
Do an iodine test to make sure conversion is done.
Maybe you are mashing out before the mash is really done?
70% ain't great but it isn't terrible either.

Another thought - have you checked you thermometer is calibrated correctly?

Latest posts

Back