Am I going to poison myself??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullerCider

Reaction score
I back sweetened a batch of cider (60L) with organic apple juice (2.8L). I had a few sips of the juice before pouring it in and though, huh, tastes kind of funky but didn’t think much of it since I have had straight apple juice in years.

Few hours later I was very very sick, I check the expiry date (after adding it of course 😫) and despite being bought only a week before it was a month and a half past expiration( it was sealed until I added it). I can’t be certain that I got food poisoning from the apple juice but I didn’t have much else to eat that day and now I’m wondering if I ruined an entire batch of apple cider? Opinions thoughts??

When you opened it, if it was going "off" you wold have noticed something, like a bad smell or extra off-gassing. But.....since you DID notice a funky flavor, maybe you are right about it. You could pasteurize your batch of cider to kill anything that's in there......

You could pasteurize your batch of cider to kill anything that's in there......
Some food posionings leave toxins in the food even if heated and the bacteria is gone (like Staph and Botulism).

I'm no expert, but if the OP really thinks it's the apple juice I personally would chuck the entire batch and be a lot more cautious of any "funky" in the future that wasn't intentional.

Latest posts

Back